John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Over the last couple of months I've bought or been given five games. Of the five games three had production issues.

Lewis and clarke - food resource was missing, meeple was broken.
Portal - hexes were cut incorrectly leading to the tabs ripping when taking them apart during gameplay.
Via nebula - board is too big for the slot in the insert, corners of board were damaged after first play through putting it back in the insert.

Now none of these are that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, made food replacements from polymer clay so I could play L&C (LOVE it btw), snip the insert for via nebula. And I have contacted the publshers, but I'm not that bothered (The portal issue being the worst as it makes it very awkward to play, new pieces would be nice).

But thats a pretty poor rate, 3 out of 5 having issues, anyone else have a lot of issues ? Am I just unlucky ? Is this a recent thing ? Or just something that board gamers have to put up with due to the nature of the industry ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:

Over the last couple of months I've bought or been given five games. Of the five games three had production issues.

Lewis and clarke - food resource was missing, meeple was broken.
Portal - hexes were cut incorrectly leading to the tabs ripping when taking them apart during gameplay.
Via nebula - board is too big for the slot in the insert, corners of board were damaged after first play through putting it back in the insert.

Now none of these are that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, made food replacements from polymer clay so I could play L&C (LOVE it btw), snip the insert for via nebula. And I have contacted the publshers, but I'm not that bothered (The portal issue being the worst as it makes it very awkward to play, new pieces would be nice).

But thats a pretty poor rate, 3 out of 5 having issues, anyone else have a lot of issues ? Am I just unlucky ? Is this a recent thing ? Or just something that board gamers have to put up with due to the nature of the industry ?

AFAIK, it's been an ongoing thing. IME, one out of every 10 games or so had issues last decade. The publisher has been good about sending replacements. In the case of Uberplay for For Sale, I'm glad I did ask them ASAP since they ended up leaving the bg pub. business altogether! wow

I can't speak to more recent times as I don't really buy games anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I won't pretend to know if problems are increasing, however was recently considering Order of the Gilded Compass and Cottage Garden and found both have printing and insert issues right out of the gate. Recent editions of Dead Man's Draw had the wrong (inferior) card stock and some misprinted cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
badge
i can cut with forks, and drink with potatoes. -Simo Paga 2017-
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens, but not alot (for me at least) I have had 2 major issues in 200 games that I own.

The first thing I do after opening the box is comparing the components with the rulebook. If there's something missing/broken I mail the publisher. Preferably with pictures.

With Puerto Rico I had 1 cardboard double and one missing, mailed the issue straight away (with pictures) and received the missing board within a week.
Mansions of Madness, Call of the Wild had a punchout board that was wrongly cut, mailed the issue (with pictures) and received a replacement a few weeks later.

A friend bought El Grande with a playercolor missing, he mailed and received a bag of replacement meeples.

If it's stuff like that I think most companies will replace the broken/missing pieces.

I have a few games where the inserts are damaged, probably by handling/transport. That sucks too but I can still play the game so it doesn't bother me so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah that's what I did with L&C, raised a ticket on Asmodee's website just after I opened the box and noticed the bits were missing.

They updated the ticket to say they would send replacements.

That was five weeks ago, still waiting, and they are now ignoring my follow up e-mails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohaihai wrote:
The first thing I do after opening the box is comparing the components with the rulebook. If there's something missing/broken I mail the publisher. Preferably with pictures.

I don't understand why more people don't do this and then complain months later when they go to play the game that it's got "problems"

However, I've not had issues with any of the ~40 games I've bought over the last year (new or second hand).

You do have to remember that despite the size of the hobby, most games are assembled by hand and there may well be issues to the component make-up (quantities) in the box.

Design problems, such as Cottage Garden (which has caused me to cancel my order and wait to see if there's a second printing) is actually just poor QA and probably due to rushing the game out and not checking it thoroughly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.