26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Quick Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Macady Smith
msg tools
On the look for some new 'filler' games. Any games that are relatively short and exciting. Games to end a party or start one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey - it might help if you give more info on what your non-filler type games are as depends on the games you normally play to understand what you think of as a filler and what you find exciting - also by short, do you mean twenty minutes or an hour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You mention party so do you mean things like:

BANG! The Dice Game
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)
Colt Express
Cockroach Poker
Coup
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Mascarade
Beasty Bar
Celestia

??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
SaggyUK wrote:
Hey - it might help if you give more info on what your non-filler type games are as depends on the games you normally play to understand what you think of as a filler and what you find exciting - also by short, do you mean twenty minutes or an hour

20-30 minutes long or even shorter. The games are normally play are Resistance, Munchkin, Pandemic, Tokendo, Coup, Elder Sign, etc. The games that majority of gamers have heard of. Im looking for kind of a mixture. I love Coup because its short and simple but invovles quite a bit of strategy but I also love Zombie Dice. Anything that you can pull out when you only have a short time but you can understand it quickly and time flies while you play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pairs has been my go-to filler game for the last year or so, closely followed by Sushi Goand Give me the Brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter
Coloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks! and For Sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro
Strike
Eight-Minute Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
SaggyUK wrote:

By the way I see that you mentioned Mascarade and Coup. Which do you prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mac345 wrote:
On the look for some new 'filler' games. Any games that are relatively short and exciting. Games to end a party or start one.

Kingdomino

This game is quick and satisfying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mac345 wrote:
SaggyUK wrote:

Hmmm, I can quite honestly say I will never buy coup, a bit boring for me to be totally honest and I always win lol! I would however buy mascarade because with high player counts, it is just rediculous fun to the point where no one has a blinking clue who they are(and the more drunk you are, the worse it gets) and it was just funny!

However, I prefer some of the other games on my list like cash and guns and one I didn't mention - Port Royal.

I like Dead Last for the same reason as mascarade also.

Also have you tried Camel Up or Room 25 (with expansion) for a slightly longer game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
SaggyUK wrote:
Mac345 wrote:
SaggyUK wrote:

Hmmm, I can quite honestly say I will never buy coup, a bit boring for me to be totally honest and I always win lol! I would however buy mascarade because with high player counts, it is just rediculous fun to the point where no one has a blinking clue who they are(and the more drunk you are, the worse it gets) and it was just funny!

However, I prefer some of the other games on my list like cash and guns and one I didn't mention - Port Royal.

I like Dead Last for the same reason as mascarade also.

Also have you tried Camel Up or Room 25 (with expansion) for a slightly longer game?

I actually saw Camel Up a few years ago before I started gaming. By this time I was tired of the traditional games: Sorry, Monopoly, etc. So when I found Camel Up I was excited but the price and the complex looking rules kept me from buying it. Im excited to take a look at it again as well as Room 25.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven C
Canada
flag msg tools

Biblios
Sushi Go Party

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlowerFall - drop cards onto a table and try to try to gain control of the areas worth the most points. Good fun and plays 2-7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mac345 wrote:

I actually saw Camel Up a few years ago before I started gaming. By this time I was tired of the traditional games: Sorry, Monopoly, etc. So when I found Camel Up I was excited but the price and the complex looking rules kept me from buying it. Im excited to take a look at it again as well as Room 25.

Well. not sure what country you're in but in the UK, Camel up is really cheap now.

If you're worried about rules, you can watch the play throughs like rahdo run through videos on the individual game listings on here and it will give you a good head start as to how to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:

+1 on those.

Also . . .

6 nimmt! (2-10 players)

Between Two Cities (2-7 players)

Money! (3-5 players)

Empire Engine (2-4, but up to 8 with two sets combined)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
SaggyUK wrote:
Mac345 wrote:

Well. not sure what country you're in but in the UK, Camel up is really cheap now.

If you're worried about rules, you can watch the play throughs like rahdo run through videos on the individual game listings on here and it will give you a good head start as to how to play

Ya I'm not too worried about it now. Before I started gaming though it was pretty intimidating. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple more questions. I own alot of games but my hardest game is probably Pandemic. I love Pandemic and I want more games that are more challenging but I am afraid that they might be to complicated for me and even more complicated for the people I play with. I've been recommended Dominion, 7 Wonders, and Lords of Waterdeep. Are these games easy to learn or do think they might be a little to complicated for me. Im a fast learner and can pick up things faster then alot of people Im still a little worried. Should I go for it or stick to easier games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like The Resistance, I would suggest ONUW in your preferred incarnation, Spyfall, or One Night Revolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
+1s for For Sale, Money!, Cockroach Poker

Also Biblios, Parade, Circus Flohcati.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Some awesome filler party games are:

*Coup
*Love Letter
*Colt Express
*Zombie Dice
*Roll For It!

!Warning Self Promotion Warning!

I am currently working on my first game to arrive on kick stater in the new year. A round in itself lasts about 5-10mins and will be 200ish cards. It is a fun party game that can be played by 3-8 people.

The game is called It's Just A Theory. I one day hope people will love the game as much as i do. Please check it out and hopefully it will be the sort of thing you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
Laughing Lizard wrote:
Some awesome filler party games are:

*Coup
*Love Letter
*Colt Express
*Zombie Dice
*Roll For It!

I am currently working on my first game to arrive on kick stater in the new year. A round in itself lasts about 5-10mins and will be 200ish cards. It is a fun party game that can be played by 3-8 people.

The game is called It's Just A Theory. I one day hope people will love the game as much as i do. Please check it out and hopefully it will be the sort of thing you are looking for.

e

I'll gladly check it out! Thanks for the recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mac345 wrote:

Ya I'm not too worried about it now. Before I started gaming though it was pretty intimidating. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple more questions. I own alot of games but my hardest game is probably Pandemic. I love Pandemic and I want more games that are more challenging but I am afraid that they might be to complicated for me and even more complicated for the people I play with. I've been recommended Dominion, 7 Wonders, and Lords of Waterdeep. Are these games easy to learn or do think they might be a little to complicated for me. Im a fast learner and can pick up things faster then alot of people Im still a little worried. Should I go for it or stick to easier games?

Well I'm not sure about dominion as never played it but I'm sure you'll be fine with the other two if you manage pandemic. If it makes you feel better, the first time I played waterdeep, I had never played a euro type game before (only comercial/party stuff) and the other players were all seasoned pro gamers whom decided not to explain anything about how to play and just started playing. After much confusion and blanks, around a third of the way in, I realised and beat them all lol!

I would watch the rahdo run throughs as it's really easy to tell whether you will pick it up quickly or will struggle as he does the videos as if he's playing so you can see the types of decisions that need to be made and all the little rules. I think he has covered waterdeep and 7 wonders but not sure about dominion. I'm sure you'll be fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Pandemic and are thinking of giving Dominion a try, I'd recommend to take a look at The Big Book of Madness instead, which is a co-op deckbuilding game and imo a lot more fun than Dominion.

I liked Dominion as a 2 player game, but the more people play, the longer it takes until it's your turn again, depending on which cards to use there can also be very little player interaction. With BBM this problem doesn't occur as often, as one player can use spells to let other players take an action in his turn. BBm can also be played with up to 5 people (Dominion is 2-4) and the number of players has no real effect on the playtime. :)

As for shorter filler games, I really like Dream Home, Pocket Madness, Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper & Oceanos - all of these are 2-4 player (except for Oceanos, which plays up to 5) and not very party'ish tho. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
I know a few of these have been mentioned but,

Bohnanza
Hanabi
For Sale
Incan Gold
Jungle Speed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.