Breakout: Normandy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Omaha beach catastrophe: am I screwed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing my first game of BN:N (solo) and following along with the examples of play to try to make sense of the rules. About a third of the Jun 6th Allied force lands on Omaha beach. My landing was a disaster: the Germans managed to impose disrupt 1 on the attacking force (the Allied used the advantage to re-roll but the result was the same).

If I understand the rules, it will now be at least two days before that force is back in business (because forces can recover at most one level in each refit phase and refit phases only happen once per day).

How good are the Allies' prospects of recovering from this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ubiquitousuk wrote:
How good are the Allies' prospects of recovering from this?

Most BKN experts agree that Sword getting stuffed on the landings is a really, really bad deal against a good German player. Nobody wants that. That said, it’s not necessarily a game ender. Omaha is probably #2 on the list of "D-Day beaches you don't want D1." But there are so many other factors, it’s in no way a full-stop.

Remember, when your units recover to spent during the Refit phase at the end of the 6th, you’ll destroy the beach fort. That not only takes the German D down 2, it no longer means assaults are mandatory, etc. Gives you some options and flexibility.

Short answer: It sucks, but no. Not Game Over by a long shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i were the Germans, I would be pounding (ie bombarding) those D1ed forces with everything I had.

It's definitely A Bad Thing, but it's by no means over. There are a lot more dice to be rolled. And even if the Allies lose, there's always such a strong story coming out of a game of BKN.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeb13603 wrote:
If i were the Germans, I would be pounding (ie bombarding) those D1ed forces with everything I had.

Thing is, there's only one unit that can arty Omaha on the 6th. And depending on how the Allied shore bombards went, and/or if the Germans took any voluntary retreats, there may not be anything to bombard with. And even if they can hit you, and say they roll even dice, you can always soak two AP with the disrupted rangers -- more or less expendable units, since they leave the morning after the beach clears anyway.

Not over! Fight! Like Mike says, think of the story you'll have when the Allies win after getting stuffed on D-Day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur. The allies still have a shot at winning if Omaha goes D1 on the landings.

Roughly, there are 3 allied threats and the Allies really just need one of them to gain success on the 7th to make it very hard on the Germans.

Utah -> St.Mere -> Carentan can be exploited early if the dice and interdiction work well for the Allies.

Omaha -> Trevieries -> Foret or Grandcamp -> Isigny can open up the middle and threaten St.Lo or Carentan from the other side.

Juno/Sword -> Caen or Juno/Gold -> Bretteville -> Villars/Tilly can get a lot of British pressure on the Germans.

Overall, the Allies should try to exploit which ever sector gets the best dice on D-Day while the other sectors just grab beaches and get setup for future turns by creating big stacks that force the Germans to defend and cause them not to just shift all available units over to cover the exploited areas.

Land on D-Day with beach synergy in mind can give the Allies their best shots at making big exploits if the dice get hot while minimizing the damage if they are cold. Just landing the 56th at Gold on D-Day gives a 1/6 chance of clearing and then putting the Germans in a major bind right on 6G0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing on Omaha is pretty serious though. Not being able to press beyond Omaha is going to cause you tons of headaches. The areas beyond Omaha are hard to advance to, even when Omaha goes well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. I am pretty new to this game and the area impulse system in general, so figuring out the strategy and its consequences is still a WIP for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I even fought on when the Germans killed every US unit on Omaha: lost the assault, artillery sent them all to D2, two small assaults rolled high. British landings and air interdiction went well, and Caen nearly fell on the 7th. But when Caen didn't fall, then it was over. Oh and just to add insult to injury I also lost the Montebourg/St. Mere bridge (Magic Bridge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.