Popular Tags: [View All]
Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Can the target location be any of the foreign tableau (but West as the card is West)?? or have to be just "Papal States"?

So as we understand it, the card allows you to play any Political Op existent in the target card within the foreign tableau.

Any comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're using an action to activate the West portion of your tableau, so to use this card's special ability for a foreign political (purple) ops, it must be in the West (any player's tableau).

Past that, it depends what political ops you choose. If you opt for a Vote (West), then yes anywhere in the West is open.

However, if you select a Tax that's on a Papal States card (for example), then that is the location of the Tax (i.e., you can't go anywhere in the West).

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Card x34 Cryptography
It is good to know that this is limited to West tableaux, as the card says only "a foreign tableau."

(If instead Cryptography allowed use of an op in an East tableau, it would seem thematic for it to allow use of an op in your own East tableau - and the card does not allow that.)

There is an interesting question regarding the Behead op.

Can I use Cryptography to apply a foreign Behead op against the card with the op?

F3 says that "a card cannot behead itself."

In this case, I am not sure whether it is the foreign card beheading itself or whether it is Cryptography that is beheading the foreign card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
It is good to know that this is limited to West tableaux, as the card says only "a foreign tableau."

(If instead Cryptography allowed use of an op in an East tableau, it would seem thematic for it to allow use of an op in your own East tableau - and the card does not allow that.)

There is an interesting question regarding the Behead op.

Can I use Cryptography to apply a foreign Behead op against the card with the op?

F3 says that "a card cannot behead itself."

In this case, I am not sure whether it is the foreign card beheading itself or whether it is Cryptography that is beheading the foreign card.

In such a circumstance Cryptography is the beheader and this move would be ok... and very keeping with the time period (see Babington plot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Card x34 Cryptography
I'm not sure that I understand this completely.

One might understand this as Cryptography have a "wild card" Political op that can use any Political op on any foreign West tableau card.

That would be consistent with being able to Behead the foreign card.

But such an interpretation would suggest Cryptography's Location (Papal States) applies, since it's a "wild card" op on Cryptography.

It would also mean that Cryptography can copy an op on a foreign card with a Bishop (which would normally be silenced).

But the discussion above suggested that one should not think of the op as being on Cryptography because the foreign card's Location is used.

With such an interpretation, it seems that the other card's op is being activated (which is closer to what Cryptography says).

But using the other card's op suggests that one could use it to behead the foreign card (and that one couldn't use an op silencing by a Bishop on the foreign card).

I think that, if one uses the foreign card's Location but can Behead the card, a special rule would help (as was done for for Man for All Seasons flipping England to medieval by Crusade).

I think that it would be good to know the answers to these questions:

1. Which Location (Papal States or foreign card's)?
2. Can copy op on foreign card with Bishop?
3. If used to Discard an Empire, which card does Assassin rule discard (Cryptography or Foreign Card)?
4. Can copy Behead on Queen to Behead her King?*
(If answers to #3 and #4 are Cryptography and yes, respectively, then I assume that Cryptography is discarded when a Queen is used to Behead her King.)

*I don't remember whether a Queen can Behead her King normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.