Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I watched the Dice Tower's Top Ten Most Played Games list here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_a6h229Pw and Sam's way of counting campaigns/plays at 9:00 kind-of bumped me. They were discussing whether finishing a campaign of Pandemic Legacy counts as one play or the 12+ games it took to finish the campaign.

When I play campaigns, I've always counted each play of the game as an individual play. A campaign =/= 1 play to me. 1 play would be finishing a game session (1 play = 1 session)... if that game session builds with each consecutive session, then that heightens the experience of the game, but each actual finished gaming sessions should count as 1 play each.

It's like if you have a tv series - each game session would be like 1 episode of a tv series. Some tv series are serial (the story builds on itself from episode to episode) while other tv series are episodic and don't evolve from episode to episode, the story is completely contained in that 1 episode. Both examples are still episodes though.

Maybe Legacy games are more like mini-series than episodic games, but at least the word "campaign" I would argue is more than 1 play of a game. I mean, a campaign needs to be multiple sessions/plays to even make it a campaign, right?

Anyway, that's at least how I interpret it. Would love to hear other gamers thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tubach
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your method- 1 session = 1 play. If you were to only count a completed campaign as 1 play that would suggest that after multiple sessions you had not "played" the game at all, which seems odd.

Furthermore, in certain campaign games (Seafall), players might shift in and out, which is something I would want recorded. Also, in some cases, you might decide not to complete- or be unable to complete- a campaign, but I'd still record that individual session time as play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam is nuts.

I havan't played Pandemic Legacy but the 20+ times I played Pathfinder Adventure Card Game was not one play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing Descent and TIME Stories campaigns and I am with you guys: one seesion is one play.

P.S. I can't stand anything Sam says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.