Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(1) The FAQ provides the following example:
"Q) When removing four discs following scoring, both players must remove one disc from each temple, if possible; if impossible, players must choose a higher-numbered temple-- see example two below--(or the highest-numbered temple if applicable--example one) in which discs are available in order to fulfill the removal requirement (first example: three discs each in temples [1-3] and none in temple 4 = removal of one disc from temples 1 and
2, and removal of two discs from temple 3; second example: no discs in temples [1-2], five discs each in temples [3-4] = any combinations of removals in which a total of four discs are removed and at least one each comes from temples [3-4])
A) Correct"

I'm not sure I understand the second example here "any combinations of removals in which a total of four discs are removed and at least one each comes from temples [3-4]" -- why wouldn't you be required to take at least two (or three?) from temple 4 since it's "a higher-numbered temple." Makes me feel like I don't understand this rule at all even though the first example makes simple sense.

(2) For determining turn order, if Cartouche 1&2 are the same, the rules say that players should "take cards from their pile until one of them has picked up a lower card than the other...(The cards which have been picked up are returned to the bottom of the pile)." I'm unclear on "pile," so does this just mean to reveal cards from top of deck until there is a difference, then place those tiebreaking cards (without changing order) on the bottom of the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Teague
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1. In the second example, you satisfy "remove from temple 4" by simply removing one priest from temple four. You satisfy "remove from temple 3" by simply removing a priest from temple 3. So far that's one priest from each temple. I know--that's the easy part. To satisfy "remove from temple 2" you can choose to remove a priest from any higher numbered temple. Same for temple 1. So the last two priests can come from either 3 or 4.

When you have no priests in any higher numbered temple (as temple four in example 1), you must remove from the highest number temple below the temple you're trying to satisfy.

Question 2. "Pile" in this case means draw pile. So yes, each player would flip one card and continue doing so until there is no longer a tie. All cards flipped this way are moved to the bottom of the draw pile. Preferably not changing the order--at least according to what I feel is the spirit of the rules.

Edited once for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fantastic explanation -- thanks so much!

Really love this game and it's nice that we're finally playing it correctly. Surprised no one has copied some of the mechanics from this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Teague
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. I will also just add that the original rules in the box seem to suggest another interpretation, but the FAQ is much clearer and more recent so we play the way I explained.

We've enjoyed it too. This is the most abstract game we own. Abstracts are typically not our thing, but this one plays so smoothly and doesn't induce a lot of AP. It's just the right balance of casual and thinky. Hits a sweet spot for us in that regard, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for posting this.

I had the exact same question when I read the FAQ!

played my first game of ATON this evening and I thought it was cool.

one rule we got wrong was doing token removal one after another, then the token adding one after the other. Apparently the start player does all removing then adding, followed by the 2nd player doing removal and adding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.