Subject: Did you notice the DDS logo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else happen to flip over a Booster or Starter at the pre-release event and notice the red cube DDS logo?

I have this very, very hopeful feeling about this, since the letters involved suggest a Destiny Dice System, and how they have the logo laid out makes me really, really hopeful for more stuff. I've made a list and based on just how Star Wars Destiny is laid out, I'm playing some theorycrafting on what we could see in the future. Also i'm just assuming we're looking at a compatable-across-the-board system like Dicemasters:

Arkham Horror - This would be a slam dunk for me at least. Can you see a Jabba/Cthulu deck, or a Dunwich Horror/Palpatine deck? Mmm. Insanely Crunchy!

Runebound - Neat! I can't think of any names off the top of my head, but I would have a TON of fun with some of the Descent bosses being characters, or even see some cross promotion with the new miniatures game.

Lord of the Rings - More Nate French goodness, crammed into hobbitses! Let's get Luke and Frodo teaming up to take on Sauron/Vader. Delicious.

A Game of Thrones - Mmm... I could use more of this in my life, yes. I can already see a Littlefinger/Jango Fett deck being hilariously awesome. OOH! OOH! Arya/Leia would be an amazing combo too. Actually, since i'm down here, i'm really kinda looking for Padame/Jenny Barnes (Arkham Horror) maybe being a thing? All dat money!

What do you guys think? What other licenses could get pulled into the DDS system? Should we even allow this foolish mixing of worlds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott knowles
msg tools
I didn't notice the logo but I did think to myself that they must use this system for some of their other licenses. A Lord of the Rings one would be a massive attraction to me and if it was cross compatible with star wars destiny then that would be great. I can see me having to re-mortgage if this is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
If that is the case, I'm glad I won't be playing competitively and have to see/keep up with all that stuff. I'm only in for the Star Wars. I only bought Marvel Dicemasters too (plus the one D&D).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Star Wars: Destiny is successful, I could see FFG using the same system with other licenses, but I really doubt you'll be able to mix the different licenses. In Star Wars: Destiny, the card backs say Star Wars. If they had plans for integrating different licenses, they would have used a more generic card back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blurb on the back of the box calls it the "Dice Duel System." If they do branch out into other IPs, I also hope it'll be better thought out than Dice Masters was - too many IPs in theme-breaking combinations with too frequent releases between them certainly helped drive away a lot of the initial player base. It's probably going to be more like X-Wing and its "Flight Path System" - used by other games (i.e. Star Trek: Attack Wing, Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing), but with enough differences that they won't be cross-compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmb
Gotta agree with the Reverend, I think cross themes could be dangerous to the mechanics. Separate themes for the same game also comes with similar thematic concepts (Little Finger is a trickster, so is Jabba I suppose, and Boba Fett + The Hound are similar characters in and of themselves) so I would struggle to see the mechanical differentiation. (Munchkin has a lot of samey versions to cater to different setting tastes, but is in essence the same game, am I correct? Theres always a +1 this or that, there always a version of the Boots of Buttkicking.)

As a personal opinion, compatible themes destroys the interest for me. Making a Han Solo / Drizzt deck crosses too many wires in my brain for a game that goes out of its way to be thematic (and make the mechanics form to the theme, in its favor)

IMO it would be great to see branching games with different objectives or twists come off the system. If you look at the clix games, each game was different (granted, I think splitting the audiences crippled them) but having something like Horrorclix, Heroclix, Mechwarrior AND Halo Actionclix as compatible games is maybe a little too niche, plus with the thematic mechanical differences for each (halo had a grenade mechanic, mechwarrior the variable ranged Ammo like energy or ballistic, etc.) that it would make it almost impossible to reconcile the differences within any of their particular game systems...meaning all themed version would have to be within the exact same rules/system to keep the game fair and to the original vision, offering no new, fun gameplay mechanics (relatively) and that could be boring. I think I'd rather see different games with a similar system take flight on their own (similar to legendary) so that each can grow unique wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam kouzmanoff
United States
champaign
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would honestly love to see the same sort of system, but implemented into a kingsburg-style worker placement system boardgame.

I don't feel like I want to see a lot of similar collectible games. Dicemasters became overwhelming for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like a Battlestar Galactica version would work incredibly well. They have the license but haven't really done anything with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the big series of deck master games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I remember the big series of deck master games.

I know Magic, Jyhad and Netrunner. Were there more?

edit: not exactly sure Jyhad had the logo, but I'm pretty sure that NR did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of thrones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Tucker
msg tools
sax11 wrote:
I feel like a Battlestar Galactica version would work incredibly well. They have the license but haven't really done anything with it.

AWWWW YASS! I would be so down with a BSG CCG using this system. With so many shades of grey in that franchise you wouldn't even need to have factions, just base your deck on whoever happens to be allies for this mission!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we interviewed Lukas Litzsinger on our show last week and he was saying the "DDS" could be used in the future more other games related to FFG IPs if Destiny does well. At this point they just have the name and logo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be surprised if they make any future games using this system cross-compatible with each other.

I think it's possible that we'll see the system licensed out to other companies, similar to to the way they licensed the X-Wing system to WizKids for their Attack Wing series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.