$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
J.D. Hall
msg tools
So much for another brick in the Trump Rebranding of America. Term limits? Shot down. Now it's the infrastructure plan. What's next?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/22/trumps-tax-infras...

I kept saying to everyone who would listen: it's Congress, stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

remorseless1 wrote:
So much for another brick in the Trump Rebranding of America. Term limits? Shot down. Now it's the infrastructure plan. What's next?

Corrections: It was the *Republicans in Congress* who blocked all of Obama's infrastructure initiatives. (Obama first began proposing them back in 2009.)

Back in 2012 after Robert Draper's book, "Don't Ask The Good We Do" (about the 2009 Inauguration Day cabal of Republicans who vowed to obstruct all of Obama's legislation), came out, Bill Maher very flippantly remarked to a Republican Congressman guest on his show, "So, what you're indirectly saying is that you're going to put off all the nation's infrastructure work until a Republican President is elected. Is that correct?"

When the Republican Congressman failed to even venture to offer a direct reply and only smiled sheepishly, Bill Maher looked dumbfounded and slowly turned to the camera with a "Are you believing this, Folks?!" sort of look on his face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Well, with 'Dirigibles' and "Hovercrafts"-(sans 'eels') then we would ONLY need "grassy or cleared pathways" instead of what is used today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least in this case the Republicans are doing things that actually make sense. Wasting trillions of dollars building bridges that we don't need is just as dumb as spending trillions of dollars fighting wars on the other wide of the world, but even less productive. At least with the wars we employ millions of people and do a lot of R&D trying to find out news ways to kill people more efficiently. We've got to make sure we have the best technology for killing people, never know when you might need to blow up some mud huts out in a desert somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Wasting trillions of dollars building bridges that we don't need is just as dumb as spending trillions of dollars fighting wars on the other wide of the world, but even less productive.

except for the part where the USA has literally tens of thousands of bridges that are structurally deficient
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
sfox wrote:
At least in this case the Republicans are doing things that actually make sense. Wasting trillions of dollars building bridges that we don't need is just as dumb as spending trillions of dollars fighting wars on the other wide of the world, but even less productive. At least with the wars we employ millions of people and do a lot of R&D trying to find out news ways to kill people more efficiently. We've got to make sure we have the best technology for killing people, never know when you might need to blow up some mud huts out in a desert somewhere.

Yep, Republican spending priorities: Crony capitalism at its best. We are currently almost $1.5 trillion short in just maintaining the infrastructure we have.

Quote:
According to the American Society of Civil Engineers, the country is spending $1.44 trillion below what it needs to keep U.S. infrastructure up and running. The ASCE estimated of the $3.32 trillion needed to keep things running up to speed, only $1.88 trillion is being spent through 2025, Reuters reported. In addition to that, problems left unsolved would compound on each other, so kicking the can down the road would leave us $5.18 trillion in the hole by 2040.

It is not so much about building more "bridges to nowhere" but to make sure the ones we have do not suddenly collapse like this one:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/08/01/friday-marks-7-year...

I guess blowing up bridges somewhere else is much more fun than repairing ours. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
sfox wrote:
Wasting trillions of dollars building bridges that we don't need is just as dumb as spending trillions of dollars fighting wars on the other wide of the world, but even less productive.

except for the part where the USA has literally tens of thousands of bridges that are structurally deficient

According to people who will make more money if we rebuild all of those bridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
People were saying the US needed repair of its highway bridges across the board back in the 80's when I was in high school IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
People were saying the US needed repair of its highway bridges across the board back in the 80's when I was in high school IIRC.

A few years back I worked with some consultants from Australia, they were amazed at how good the condition of our roads were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
whac3 wrote:

A few years back I worked with some consultants from Australia, they were amazed at how good the condition of our roads were.

The basic roads, sure, but the bridges? The US lays new asphalt all the time but when did you all last refurbish your bridges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kurtz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Shawn, you obviously were a government plant that shown those Aussies only the good roads so that they would be impressed with our capitalist/imperialist form of government. Obviously, you did not show them the crappy, clogged up roads that we have down here in Austin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
utoption2 wrote:
sfox wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Shawn, you obviously were a government plant that shown those Aussies only the good roads so that they would be impressed with our capitalist/imperialist form of government. Obviously, you did not show them the crappy, clogged up roads that we have down here in Austin.

I was in Austin a month back, traffic is fucking awful down there. All those hipster liberals flocking to Austin from California have made the city impossible to drive in during the last five years. I wouldn't say the streets are in bad shape though, the problem is that the population has gone up a lot faster than the roads have been widened to deal with it.

Property prices down there have gotten to levels that make it seem more like San Francisco than a city in Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Unpossible! We just spent a trillion dollars on shovel-ready jobs and infrastructure improvement under the Bamster. That money couldn't have possibly been wasted and not gotten the job done.

Er, no, you didn't spend "a trillion dollars on shovel-ready jobs and infrastructure improvement." Apart from standard budgetary infrastructure expenditures (which are mostly maintenance spending), there were only two major infrastructure bills during Obama's eight years that got passed: the original stimulus bill in 2009 and the DRIVE Act in 2014. The stimulus bill had $105 billion in infrastructure spending, including $27.5 billion for bridges; the DRIVE Act had $305 billion in infrastructure spending divided between road repairs, bridge repair/replacement and rail lines. (Obama originally proposed $478 billion for the DRIVE Act when it was still the GROW America Act.)

The USA has an infrastructure deficit of three trillion dollars, and if the GOP hadn't spent most of the past decade blocking practically all of Obama's infrastructure proposals (he's proposed over a trillion dollars in infrastructure spending) the USA might be well on its way to resolving its infrastructure problems, but oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
The USA has an infrastructure deficit of three trillion dollars

I think what you meant to say here, is that the American Society of Civil Engineers, made up of people who get paid to design roads and bridges, claims that we have a three trillion dollar infrastructure deficit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Same lesson with Bush and Obama. Presidents don't rule by fiat. It's one big reason why campaign promises ought to be taken with a grain of salt. When Obama failed to close Guantanamo, a rather loud accusation of "liar" was heard from some on the right. Trump might be a little naive but if congress shuts down some of his campaign agenda it certainly won't make him a liar.

Too bad really. After the 2007/2008 crash, Bush and Obama could have made some major moves on infrastructure. Given out current debt and the austerity culture in congress we'll probably have to live with crumbling infrastructure for a while yet. Trump could really have created some jobs in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Same lesson with Bush and Obama. Presidents don't rule by fiat. It's one big reason why campaign promises ought to be taken with a grain of salt. When Obama failed to close Guantanamo, a rather loud accusation of "liar" was heard from some on the right. Trump might be a little naive but if congress shuts down some of his campaign agenda it certainly won't make him a liar.

Too bad really. After the 2007/2008 crash, Bush and Obama could have made some major moves on infrastructure. Given out current debt and the austerity culture in congress we'll probably have to live with crumbling infrastructure for a while yet. Trump could really have created some jobs in the US.

Agreed, if congress blocks President Elect Trump's plans, I won't view that as him lying or flipflopping.

BJ- your sarcasm appeared to be targeted at President Obama and saying that a trillion dollars was allocated and spent ineffectively. Your sarcasm didn't appear to be targeted at congress for passing almost nothing and allocating way less than a trillion dollars funding.

Misinterpretation of sarcasm is always a risk but when the sarcastic statement is ambiguous- the risk of misinterpretation is much higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.