Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't see in the rules, where it says, I have to actually put one of my seats on my pet project.

I played a game last night, where I had only 1 seat left at the meeting and I would score more points playing it onto a board room goal card, rather than any of my pet project cards.

Thematically, it seems I should have to play a seat onto my own project but since I can play a card onto a goal, even if I don't score points for it and just to reduce the points of subsequent players playing their seats onto it, then maybe I can play out a pet project and not have to score on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not uncommon to play a pet project without placing a seat on it. Someone usually does this at some point during a game in my experience.

Note that when you speak and play your pet project you can also place a seat at onto ANY project, not necessarily the pet project you just placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that you must submit a pet project no matter how poorly you planned/played.

You do not have to place a seat to score on it and you would have played correctly to score on another meeting goal card if it scored you the most points.

You would also be allowed to use a seat to block another player's high scoring goal card even in the rare occasion that there is nothing to score on during that meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Lupin
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:

Note that when you speak and play your pet project you can also place a seat at onto ANY project, not necessarily the pet project you just placed.

I guess that's true. Although, I'm not sure why you would do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:

In the exact case of the original poster. There was one seat available to him for the meeting and the performance goal on the meeting was going to score higher than his pet project. It was his fault for not gaining more seats or planning his actions to gain more points for his pet project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:

If most of the projects in play are not good for you. In that case you may want the ability to pass and wait for your opponents to play their pet projects.

EDIT:
Another more contrived case is if you benefit from an opponent choosing your pet project over another project on offer. I.e. they place on your project instead of one of the others, meaning that you will score the other one for more points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabralicus wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:

In the exact case of the original poster. There was one seat available to him for the meeting and the performance goal on the meeting was going to score higher than his pet project. It was his fault for not gaining more seats or planning his actions to gain more points for his pet project.

I think Cassey's point is that in this case you can place your only seat on the public project. Then on your next turn you can play your pet project. There is usually no reason to play your pet project earlier than absolutely necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Lupin
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:

If most of the projects in play are not good for you. In that case you may want the ability to pass and wait for your opponents to play their pet projects.

Ok, but in that case you aren't using a chair on somewhere that isn't your pet project.

Once again, playing your pet project, without plans to put a chair on it, when you have another place to score isn't something you need to do and you are only helping your opponents by giving them another scoring opportunity to evaluate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:

Ok, but in that case you aren't using a chair on somewhere that isn't your pet project.

Once again, playing your pet project, without plans to put a chair on it, when you have another place to score isn't something you need to do and you are only helping your opponents by giving them another scoring opportunity to evaluate.

Yes to your first point. There is still the case of tempting them to score your pet project instead of something else on offer. So it isn't absolute, but your point is well taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
JonBen wrote:

pilotbob, didn't I answer your question?

The rules state that you must submit a pet project no matter how poorly you planned/played. This is not optional. You must present one of your hidden cards as a pet project sometime during your turn to be made available for other players to score. It is to your benefit but NOT required to put a seat on your pet project.

You do not have to place a seat to score on it and you would have played correctly to score on another meeting goal card if it scored you the most points.

You would also be allowed to use a seat to block another player's high scoring goal card even in the rare occasion that there is nothing to score on during that meeting.

In addendum, if this is the final meeting or you just want to conserve seats for the next meeting or final scoring. You place your pet project and Pass (not placing any seats on any projects; yours or others; or meeting performance goals) by displaying your once hidden pet project you are allowed to jump back in and use a seat to score if all the other players haven't contiguously passed in a row before you.

EDIT: Taking into consideration JonBen's statement. You do not have to play your pet project first as you may score a seat on any publicly face-up goal card first but then you MUST display your hidden pet project on your next turn and pass since you do not have any seats left.

EDIT 2: accidental double-copy of post cleaned up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Lupin
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cabralicus wrote:

pilotbob, didn't I answer your question?

The question was answered before my post. So, I saw no need to answer it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't mind me then. I seem to have took your previous post as another question instead of a statement.

JonBen for the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.