New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have 7 cards in my hand during setup (via a Boon in campaign mode) and I choose to take a mulligan, do I only redraw 6? The rules seems to say "shuffle those 6 cards into your deck and redraw 6," but I actually have 7 cards to shuffle in.

The rules on boons with the Setup keyword are clear: they are definitely in your hand before you choose to mulligan. The question for me is whether I get 6 cards back or 7. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't draw the 7th until after choosing to mulligan or not. In fact you don't do game setup, add resouces, etc. until after choosing to mulligan or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I see what you mean now, I'm not sure how that would play out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty confident that you add the boon after you mulligan. This thread on the FFG forums isn't an official answer, but it's the only way I've seen anyone play.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/228238-passin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
In The Black Riders rulebook (and possibly elsewhere), Page 6:

New Setup Instructions
Setup instructions appear on some player cards...
If a player card with Setup instructions is in a player's deck at the beginning of a game, that player searches his deck for that card and follows its instructions before drawing his first hand...

So, it seems very clear to me that the intention is for the setup card to be in your hand before drawing your first hand. I'll just ask Caleb...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
In The Black Riders rulebook (and possibly elsewhere), Page 6:

New Setup Instructions
Setup instructions appear on some player cards...
If a player card with Setup instructions is in a player's deck at the beginning of a game, that player searches his deck for that card and follows its instructions before drawing his first hand...

So, it seems very clear to me that the intention is for the setup card to be in your hand before drawing your first hand. I'll just ask Caleb...

Sounds good. Post back here when you get an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mabry
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
If I have 7 cards in my hand during setup (via a Boon in campaign mode) and I choose to take a mulligan, do I only redraw 6? The rules seems to say "shuffle those 6 cards into your deck and redraw 6," but I actually have 7 cards to shuffle in.

The rules on boons with the Setup keyword are clear: they are definitely in your hand before you choose to mulligan. The question for me is whether I get 6 cards back or 7. Thanks!

Shouldn't the Golden Rule apply here and you would simply mulligan the 6 cards you drew as your starting hand, keeping the boon in your hand? The mulligan rules don't say you shuffle all cards in your hand into your deck. It says "shuffle those 6 cards" which are clearly referring to all the cards excluding the boon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Great point. I'll ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
From Caleb:

Hi Ira,
The rules do say "these 6 cards" - I missed that when I looked earlier today. My eyes went straight to "drawing 6 new cards." Since it does specify "these 6" as opposed to every card in your hand, I'm happy to say that you would keep any boon cards that start in your hand if you take a mulligan.
Cheers,
Caleb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.