Subject: Order of the Gear - played Mechana hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Robins
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I've been enjoying the Dreamscape expansion on my iPad, but I've run into a problem that seems like a bug, but may be a design flaw in the game itself, or even an intended consequence. If you have Order of the Gear, then all your Mechana heroes are treated as constructs instead. However, this means that they no longer count as having played a Mechana hero, and you can never do anything that works off of playing Mechana heroes. The example that came up last night, which felt like punishment for having a good card, was that I got Vir, Ascetic Master, which has a transformation based on having played a hero of every faction in a single turn. But it's impossible to play a Mechana hero, so I could not transform him. Other things like Unite effects, Miles the Golden Prodigy, etc., all will be impossible to trigger.

Is this intended to be this way? It feels like a penalty for getting Order of the Gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the wording, the game is definitely doing that correctly. As to it being worse, I'm assuming we're in the territory of "that's a feature, not a bug". Ascension's had other areas where some effects aren't always desirable, but you have not choice to do it. However, I will acknowledge this situation is more pronounced...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, by the time you can start activating Order of the Gear, your construct-ized Mechana heroes are more than pulling their weight each turn, even in comparison with Vir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
For what it's worth, by the time you can start activating Order of the Gear, your construct-ized Mechana heroes are more than pulling their weight each turn, even in comparison with Vir.
^^ This I concur with.

You're in for a treat if you can get Adayu The Serene or that 7-insight/5, all factions/h dreamscape card, as they both count as all factions, and are bloody powerful to boot.

This'll be rare, but what's quite probable is having that mechana champion Kor, with Order Of The Gear. You now have a "construct" that gives you 2 Runes and 2 Power per turn. If you have 2 or more m/c, you also draw a card per turn. And given how Kor himself is a m/h, he counts as a construct, so all you really need is one other construct to get the card draw. Furthermore, chances are, you acquired this insight from controlling 3 constructs (as opposed to paying 10 insight), so barring any timing issues with destroyed constructs or your deck shuffle, you're likely to be well set up!

As a fun exercise, I'll see if I can "guestimate" how much a construct should cost and be worth that gives you +2 runes and power, and the same one that also lets you draw a card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Annowme wrote:
^^ This I concur with.

You're in for a treat if you can get Adayu The Serene or that 7-insight/5, all factions/h dreamscape card, as they both count as all factions, and are bloody powerful to boot.

This'll be rare, but what's quite probable is having that mechana champion Kor, with Order Of The Gear. You now have a "construct" that gives you 2 Runes and 2 Power per turn. If you have 2 or more m/c, you also draw a card per turn. And given how Kor himself is a m/h, he counts as a construct, so all you really need is one other construct to get the card draw. Furthermore, chances are, you acquired this insight from controlling 3 constructs (as opposed to paying 10 insight), so barring any timing issues with destroyed constructs or your deck shuffle, you're likely to be well set up!

As a fun exercise, I'll see if I can "guestimate" how much a construct should cost and be worth that gives you +2 runes and power, and the same one that also lets you draw a card

I once played a game just as you describe. I had two Hedron Berserkers, Kor, Adayu, and Pasythea, as well as a Reverie Muse and Bringer of Despair played from my hand.

Game. Over.

Once in a million? Sure. I'll probably never get that set up again, but it is likely one of the most deliciously-powerful combos I've ever seen in hundreds of games. Clearly, I still remember it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Given Justin Gary's current design choices it would be 6 runes and acquired for free if you control 3 or more constructs shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.