42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Black Friday KS Prices rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark A
msg tools
I know there is probably speculation on this somewhere else, but I was wondering what are everyone's thoughts on pricing for a bundle consisting of the core game and all expansions? Hopefully we'll see this option on Black Friday, and it won't cost too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20% off retail price at max.

Otherwise, people who bought at retail would be pissed, and that's not how you keep fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam has said in an interview, that we probably won't see a "big bundle".
But it would be nice.

I would say, that we pay at least 300$ for the core game, maybe 350.
The add ones will maybe cost a bit less, than in the online shop. Maybe we will get a 20% KS discount, which would be about 700$ for all expansions.

What we absolutely shouldn't expect are prices from the first kickstarter. we won't see that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the core game alone will be $275 for early birds and $300 for regulars (shipping included). The expansions will be around 30% to 35% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:
I believe the core game alone will be $275 for early birds and $300 for regulars (shipping included). The expansions will be around 30% to 35% off.

I really hope your predictions are right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that who paid $400 for the game (and the shipping was included, at least for continental US), including myself, were basically paying more for the game to offset the money Poots lost during the KS. The reprint for the core game has almost no development costs, I really don't see a reason to charge more than $300.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:
My guess is that who paid $400 for the game (and the shipping was included, at least for continental US), including myself, were basically paying more for the game to offset the money Poots lost during the KS. The reprint for the core game has almost no development costs, I really don't see a reason to charge more than $300.

He could prepare a special EB for us who spent the big $$ at the shop XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:

i'm good @ 300. Let's do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:

The only way I could see this KS making sense is if it will be something unexpected which would be targeting everyone. The pledges would have nothing to do with the reprints (core game and expansions).
The core game and expansions would be add-ons at almost retail price (with a fair discount for the occasion) in order not to piss the previous buyers who paid the retail price.

At best, there would be a bundle as an add-on to save some money (but I have a hard time imagining an all-in bundle of 1000$ as it would be a psychological threshold for new buyers).

But whatever would the pledges be about, I expect to see some very expensive ones that will target the fans with some shiny exclusive stuff.
It would be idiotic not to do so as I'm pretty sure they would be numerous to go all in and many previous buyers are eager to spend their money for new KD:M stuff.

A KS essentially about a reprint seems far fetched and useless.
As Poots said, we will be surprised. I suspect it will be targeting the previous owners, mostly.
A new set of miniatures for the core game? A new standalone game? Some new expansions? All of the above?
Don't know.

I might be completely wrong but that's the only way I can see a KS being a valid way to justify the reprints.
If they are not simple add-ons, there will be collisions between new and previous buyers and a too much attractive price for previous content might piss the owners off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

The only way I could see this KS making sense is that it will be something unexpected which would be targeting everyone. The pledges would have nothing to do with the reprints (core game and expansions).
The core game and expansions would be add-ons at almost retail price (with a fair discount for the occasion) in order not to piss the previous buyers who paid the retail price.

At best, there would be a bundle as an add-on to save some money (but I have a hard time imagining an all-in bundle of 1000$ as it would be a psychological threshold for new buyers).

But whatever would the pledges be about, I expect to see some very expensive ones that will target the fans with some shiny exclusive stuff.
It would be idiotic not to do so as I'm pretty sure they would be numerous to go all in and many previous buyers are eager to spend their money for new KD:M stuff.

As Poots said, we will be surprised. I suspect it will be targeting the previous owners, mostly.
A new set of miniatures for the core game? A new standalone game? Some new expansions? All of the above?
Don't know.

I might be completely wrong but that's the only way I can see a KS being a valid way to justify the reprints.
If they are not simple add-ons, there will be collisions between new and previous buyers and a too much attractive price for previous content might piss the owners off.

Let's hope you are right.

There should be some 1.4 upgrade pack available anyway, and some new expansions. Plently of small add-ons too I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
flag msg tools
I've been holding on backing up a few projects because of KDM, but if Black Friday early pledge is higher than $300 I will backup Pantheon and get extra add-ons for Dark Souls.

I would love to have this game, but now that Gloomhaven is about to be delivered I'm not sure if KDM would be so awesome anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carkara wrote:
I've been holding on backing up a few projects because of KDM, but if Black Friday early pledge is higher than $300 I will backup Pantheon and get extra add-ons for Dark Souls.

I would love to have this game, but now that Gloomhaven is about to be delivered I'm not sure if KDM would be so awesome anymore.

KDM and Gloomhaven are completely different beasts. I'm sure Gloomhaven will be amazing, but it will scratch a different itch.
Now, although I also backed Dark Souls, I'm not so sure it will come close to KDM. That game is just too light in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baylock wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

The only way I could see this KS making sense is if it will be something unexpected which would be targeting everyone. The pledges would have nothing to do with the reprints (core game and expansions).

Don't know.

I agree that it would be great to have new content, and I'm sure that there will be. His announcement states that they'll start with a reprint and add new content from there.

I don't know where you're getting all this "people will be pissed" stuff from. People aren't pissed that the early adopters from the original Kickstarter payed $100 bucks for their copy. I bought my copy at retail and would be happy if they dropped the price. More units = more players = more money = more new content.

It's completely reasonable for them to have a Kickstarter to pay for a new run. It's not like they have the liquid capital to start a print run without getting a bunch of preorders first. The game is in high demand but has been out of print for a while, and it doesn't make any sense to add too much new content without having more players to purchase that content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark A
msg tools
Yeah, the "people will be pissed" stuff makes no sense. Prices rise and prices fall. There have been may times I have bought something only to later see it sold for a different price. Why be pissed if someone gets a deal? That's selfish as hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jpancier wrote:
I don't know where you're getting all this "people will be pissed" stuff from. People aren't pissed that the early adopters from the original Kickstarter payed $100 bucks for their copy. I bought my copy at retail and would be happy if they dropped the price. More units = more players = more money = more new content.

It's completely reasonable for them to have a Kickstarter to pay for a new run. It's not like they have the liquid capital to start a print run without getting a bunch of preorders first. The game is in high demand but has been out of print for a while, and it doesn't make any sense to add too much new content without having more players to purchase that content.

Mant72 wrote:
Yeah, the "people will be pissed" stuff makes no sense. Prices rise and prices fall. There have been may times I have bought something only to later see it sold for a different price. Why be pissed if someone gets a deal? That's selfish as hell.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't make any sense to me neither but I read this a lot.
Some just don't want to accept that a game they payed 400$ could be sold for less than 300$.
That's not my opinion, that's an opinion that you can read here and there, on BGG and Facebook. Quite often actually.
In fact, it's even mentioned here in this very thread.

Personally, I couldn't care less but some people really do.
That's the problem with a game that has been sold for 100$, then 250$ then 400$. It confuses people about its fair price and everyone has an opinion on it.
In fact, it's the very essence of this thread.
And let's face it, we are humans. Those who don't have the game yet would consider that a low price is a fair price and those who have bought the game on the online shop would consider that the retail price is the way to go because that's the way they went.
And some just don't care.
It's quite unique as I never ever heard about a game that has such a wide palette of possible prices.

So the reason I say the price won't be so low is not because I don't want it to be but just because Poots would probably foresee that it will make some fuss on BGG and on the social network.
If he wants to capitalize on his fan base (I bet he does) and keep the campaign safe and trouble free, he will probably not take that controversial path.

I don't say it's a good or a bad thing, just that it might be a thing.

IMHO, if the game is sold at a minimum price, I would be happy for the new owners and wouldn't care about the price I paid as I consider that I paid the privilege to get the game earlier and enjoy the game sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baylock wrote:

I don't say it's a good or a bad thing, just that it might be a thing.

Nah I hear ya there. It's the kind of entitlement you see a lot in the gaming community. I'm sure a new batch of players will bring in a new set of problems, but the KD community is really great overall and super supportive of the project. I just hope there isn't the same level of over commitment that may end up sinking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jpancier wrote:
I just hope there isn't the same level of over commitment that may end up sinking it.

I so agree with you on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I hope that whatever he does, he does it with retail in mind. I don't fancy logging onto the store each week to see if whatever expansion can actually be bought or not.
Waited ages for the Dragon, and the other thing I was looking forward to died (lantern festy).

If he has a KS where it's all 'buy now or never', it likely won't win many fans, another year of feeling like you missed out because you didn't happen to have $1K lying about for that 4 minute window won't help anyone.

Thanks to Mythic Battles and Deep Madness, I'll be lucky to get $150 into this one I know it won't buy much. Hopefully the pledge manager runs a long time.

Exclusives aside, he really needs to look into keeping things in the store. And especially into making general retail EU friendly. Having 100 things in the USA for a year and none in the EU isn't bright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tinfish wrote:
I hope that whatever he does, he does it with retail in mind. I don't fancy logging onto the store each week to see if whatever expansion can actually be bought or not.
Waited ages for the Dragon, and the other thing I was looking forward to died (lantern festy).

If he has a KS where it's all 'buy now or never', it likely won't win many fans, another year of feeling like you missed out because you didn't happen to have $1K lying about for that 4 minute window won't help anyone.

Thanks to Mythic Battles and Deep Madness, I'll be lucky to get $150 into this one I know it won't buy much. Hopefully the pledge manager runs a long time.

Exclusives aside, he really needs to look into keeping things in the store. And especially into making general retail EU friendly. Having 100 things in the USA for a year and none in the EU isn't bright.

Most of the one off models ship from the headquarters in NY, so I doubt that will change much. But if he gets stock he should be able to distribute internationally again. A bunch of stuff that's unavailable in the us is available in the EU or AU. I'm sure that he'll refill stock everywhere with this Kickstartwr. I can't see this ever going to retail in its current form though. It's huge, expensive and not family friendly enough to sit on a shelf anywhere. It's such a niche game that I don't think most distributors will touch it. Plus they get profits directly which helps make more content. Maybe there will be a KD:M lite some day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
flag msg tools
marcusnc wrote:
carkara wrote:

KDM and Gloomhaven are completely different beasts. I'm sure Gloomhaven will be amazing, but it will scratch a different itch.
Now, although I also backed Dark Souls, I'm not so sure it will come close to KDM. That game is just too light in my opinion.

I'm not so sure if KDM and Gloomhaven are so different, core gameplay and mechnics yes absolutely, but they have a lot in common: rich and deep campaign, character and village / town progress, medium to heavy book keeping, hundreds of cards, 100+ hours to complete a single campaign, cooperative, loot driven, you can't get attached to a character because it will die / retire, persistent changes to the world, meaningful decisions.

Dark Souls will be a game to play with friends casually, very simple campaign but with potentially good minis and a fun boss fight system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
whatever guys, the fact stays that, one year later and many good games bought after it, kdm is still my most played game, and it's enough for me to back the new Kickstarter.

I would love new fans to spread the word about it, but personally I won't give up to fanboyism: this game is expensive, it will probably have some discount (15%?20%? some people advocates for 50%??), and it's not my job to make you buy it. I If you back it, that's great for me and especially for you. If you don't, it's your loss, and your saving. Always check some play sessions first to be sure you might like it. 10000 expensive units always sell to the right people, but another batch of 10000, and less expensive, will inevitably go to someone who is not capable of appreciating the game.

so, make up your mind: tomorrow is the day!

EDIT: actually, I'll spend some money on backing a Calendar project: it's two days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:
carkara wrote:

Dark Souls is miles away from KDM. It is just profiting from the sucessful IP. I'd rather have the KDM core game than go all-in with DS (how much was the total stuff there? I bet that after converting from pounds sterlings, the game and all the addons summed up several hundreds...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Just hope it's around a $1300 (or less!) all-in (even if I have to buy expansions separately from the store). That's the estimated retail for core + expansions, so either no new expansions, or some good bundle discounts would do the trick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is a legacy style dungeon crawler and KD:M is not. Thankfully there's room for more than one good game in this world.

I don't see a point in an all-in pledge because the total would be ridiculous. It makes much more sense to just let people pick and choose. Trust me on this, the game is more fun when you don't have to explain to your spouse why the delivery person has to use a forklift to deliver your KD:M pledge. If the reprint is successful you will have an option to pick up content later on instead of being forced to buy it all in the KS.

I'm assuming there will be a decent amount of new content for current owners which is another downside to an all-in pledge. Depend on how much new content the total would be pushing 2k. Hell this is KD:M probably 3k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.