Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necessity is the mother of invention. I was curious if any of you have some gaming "hacks" you'd like to share? If you have a good idea, maybe other people can use the same idea to make their game days a little better or easier.

I wanted some containers to hold chits, dice, spare minis, etc., etc., etc. I went to the dollar store (Dollar Tree around here), and found these plastic souffle cups. Three for a dollar! They work PERFECTLY!!!

Also, at the Dollar Tree, I found a cup with a bunch of toothbrushes in it. They hold my paint brushes nicely!

What are your cool "hacks"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Liles
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Call me Tommy
badge
Check out my gaming blog! www.wewereplayingitwrong.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a pic, but my fiancee hit on the idea of putting a big piece of felt on the game table. Dice don't fly off as easily as when they are bouncing on wood, nor do components slide off as easily, and of course it is easier to pick up cards too! It cost us about $3.00 from michael's to purchase a piece of green felt the size of a tablecloth. I recommend it to anybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordObsidian wrote:
the idea of putting a big piece of felt on the game table.
Good idea! I'll try it soon. Does the felt slide around on the table top due to people's shifting elbows? If yes, I imagine it would work better with a layer of those rug stays underneath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmb
A bit lame perhaps but I find for wargaming, using a few difference sized IKEA frames with glass to be perfect for both play and storage. Pop the map(s) in the back and enjoy. With my 17 x 11 maps I just swap the 5 or 6 and leave them in the frame.

I even have Strike Force One map in one that cost just €1.79 and gives great peace of mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheap plastic business card holders are great for decks of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedshooter8 wrote:
LordObsidian wrote:
Good idea! I'll try it soon. Does the felt slide around on the table top due to people's shifting elbows? If yes, I imagine it would work better with a layer of those rug stays underneath.

Maybe get some really thin plywood or particle board, cut it to the size of your table, and glue the felt? I guess you'd have to store it somewhere when you weren't gaming, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Maybe get some really thin plywood or particle board, cut it to the size of your table, and glue the felt? I guess you'd have to store it somewhere when you weren't gaming, though.
Much easier just to roll it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A long time ago I bought four of these:

They're supposed to be battery trays. They are just about the most useful things in my basement.

The large transparent desk protectors are pretty awesome too... especially when playing modular games like Catan.

Pete (is glad he bought four of those trays back then because he hasn't seen them lately)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny D.
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have three:

First, I made origami boxes to serve as containers for tokens, etc.

Second, to create a dice tray, I took an old mouse pad, cut it around the corners, and placed it against the bottom and sides of a small box (that I got from an online order).

Third, I placed a soft koozie in another koozie with a firm base. I use it as a dice cup. The koozies were random tchotchkes from conventions over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

They're supposed to be battery trays. They are just about the most useful things in my basement.

The large transparent desk protectors are pretty awesome too... especially when playing modular games like Catan.

Pete (is glad he bought four of those trays back then because he hasn't seen them lately)

Ok, Pete, WHERE did you buy these? (Inquiring minds want to know.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, time to chime in. One of my pet peeves is baggies. Not only are they fiddly and difficult to open, but also impractical and look messy in the box. So, I searched for containers that could double as trays for use during the game.

I use small containers with lids purchased at Dollar Tree (rectangular - some lids don't stay on as well as they should) and Dollarama (round and stackable). Travel soap containers are the right size for the tiles in Hawaii, but are kinda cheap. Below you'll see The Castles of Burgundy and Hawaii.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Liles
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Call me Tommy
badge
Check out my gaming blog! www.wewereplayingitwrong.com
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedshooter8 wrote:
LordObsidian wrote:

We haven't had any problems with it unintentionally shifting around. I have seen other groups turn this "bug" into a feature by folding the felt so that only the game board is on the felt and then using the underlying felt to shift the board around the table smoothly so larger groups all have access to the board.

We use our felt basically as a game room tablecloth and it doesn't shift round though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a card holder for some games with reference cards that I need to be view-able by the everyone at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Ok, Pete, WHERE did you buy these? (Inquiring minds want to know.)
The older I get, the more I forget.

Pete (hasn't a clue any more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. I go an extra step:

Basically I put a sheet of styrofoam either under the existing insert or encased in a color printed page, then shove the little tubs in. They stay put that way, and you can pop them out if you want to.

Pete (loves those little ten cent tubs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:

I use small containers with lids purchased at Dollar Tree (rectangular - some lids don't stay on as well as they should) and Dollarama (round and stackable). Travel soap containers are the right size for the tiles in Hawaii, but are kinda cheap. Below you'll see The Castles of Burgundy and Hawaii.

I like to sometimes use jewelry boxes for this purpose.

They come in all sizes and can be bought in bulk for around $0.25 or $0.30 on Amazon (search for "bulk jewelry boxes").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, Pete.

Michael (can't be bothered putting that much effort into it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Those look a lot like divided plates for kids. They can be found lots of places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjpuzzles wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Those look a lot like divided plates for kids. They can be found lots of places.

Ah, but the good thing about Pete's is the rounded edges inside which makes it easy to get cubes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:

Ah, but the good thing about Pete's is the rounded edges inside which makes it easy to get cubes out.

Well, you can quickly add a piece of tick paper to each space and make one yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:

Well, you can quickly add a piece of tick paper to each space and make one yourself

I've googled 'tick paper' and can't find it. What is it? Typo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
jjpuzzles wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Well, there are many styles of divided plates... some more rounded than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
We use silicone muffin cups for tokens/chits:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
capricorn_tm wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:

I would call it "tack paper" but google isn't too fond of that either. It's paper with a light adhesive on one side, usually used to line the bottom of drawers or shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:
capricorn_tm wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:

I would call it "tack paper" but google isn't too fond of that either. It's paper with a light adhesive on one side, usually used to line the bottom of drawers or shelves.

I've always known it as "contact paper". That term is very googlable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.