Thunder in the Ozarks» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just making sure I'm doing this right... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
When conducting defensive fire during the close combat phase, the defender's fire is read on the fire combat cohesion table, right? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, Bradley!
Yes - Defensive Fire is handled in all ways like regular Fire Combat. So if the assaulter is in Heavy Woods, they get that shift, etc.

Hope you enjoy the game and thanks for the support.

Herm

P.S. - Also remember that when fighting Close Combat, a "-" result on the CRT still requires a roll on the Cohesion Table (under "Close Fight"). Close Combat is more dynamic than Fire Combat. Players often overlook this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just confirming: Defensive fire uses the Close Fight table as well as the attacker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Defensive Fire uses the regular Fire Combat table; it's only when you get to actual Close Combat resolution that you use the Close Fight section.

Herm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allyn Glosser
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Defensive Fire is handled in all ways like regular Fire Combat. So if the assaulter is in Heavy Woods, they get that shift, etc.

P.S. - Also remember that when fighting Close Combat, a "-" result on the CRT still requires a roll on the Cohesion Table (under "Close Fight"). Close Combat is more dynamic than Fire Combat. Players often overlook this rule.

HORST324 wrote:
Defensive Fire uses the regular Fire Combat table;only when you get to actual Close Combat resolution that you use the Close Fight section.

Herm

Now I'm a bit confused, because ToTO has an addition to the Fire Combat rule 12.3 b. Cohesion Test Determination that was not in SS:
"If the Lead Unit's CR is not included in a colored box, the result is treated as a dash (-) result and thus no effect. Exception: if this happens during Close Combat this will create a Cohesion Test.

This exception was not in SS, and it seems that this would doom every charge to at best a 66% failure rate, as the kindest Cohesion Test table causes a retreat on a 3+ die roll.

The example of close combat on page 16 has a defensive fire which results in a dash (-) no effect result. It says nothing about a Cohesion Test required.

We have been playing with the Close Fight CT if a dash results on the attacker's dice roll, but no effect on a dash result on the earlier defensive fire. Have we been doing it wrong or does the boldface text only apply to the attacker's close combat? My confusion comes from the fact that defensive fire occurs as part of the Close Combat procedure I guess.
Enquiring minds want to know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Allyn!
Sorry for the confusion. Maybe we need to come up with some additional wording to clarify. Defensive Fire is part of the Close Combat sequence, but is not Close Combat itself. It uses the normal Fire Combat resolution and in that case, a "-" is no effect.

Later, if the attacker closes, Close Combat is resolved. In this case, there must be a result and there will always be a Cohesion Test. So if a "-" result occurs during the Close Combat fight, that is a Cohesion Test using the "Close Fight" column. It is not a "no effect" as with Fire Combat.

Perhaps the whole section should be called Close Combat and the actual fight at the end should be termed Melee. We'll figure that out.

Thanks!
Herm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes a lot of sense ... the Defensive Fire tests the resolve of the attacker but has the chance to allow the Close Combat process to continue (i.e., if there is a "-" result). The actual Close Combat (or Melee) should almost always have a decisive result ... thus the use of the extra resolution table.

I'll agree that the wording could be clarified a bit, as I was confused at first as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allyn Glosser
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to know we were doing it correctly. Will game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.