Subject: Custom Playmat: Questions From An Uber Newb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scooby-Wan Kenobi
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
I'm wanting to design my own playmat because I'm not a big fan of a lot of the existing custom mats -- not that there's anything wrong with them, I just have different tastes. I'm learning how to use paint.net and about halfway through... I think. I've uploaded a WIP pic to get opinions on whether or not the images I'm using are a high enough resolution. All the images I've used have been farmed from Google image search, and filtered for nothing smaller than whatever Google considers "Large".

I'm not a graphics guy, so any time you talk about dpi or ppi or Magnum, P.I. I have to spend time looking that up and trying to figure out what you're trying to say. Am I on the right track with this, or should I scrap it and start over? Opinions and pasta recipes are welcome, unless they have mushrooms.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooby-Wan Kenobi
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
I think I have part of this figured out on my own. I was copying and pasting images instead importing them, and that was causing some image degradation. I have an updated version that I'll try to get posted tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the helicarrier image stretched?

Personally I can't stand looking at images that have been stretched/compressed. I'd try to find something that was either already a usable size or something larger that I could crop, without messing with the aspect ratio.

Otherwise, I think you're on the right track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooby-Wan Kenobi
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
Wisegy84 wrote:

It is. I couldn't find a decent picture I liked that was long enough. Kind of ironic since it's a freaking helicarrier. Maybe I'll broaden my search and try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I may be so bold, I highly recommend this playmat. It's also available on BGG, but I can't for the life of me quickly find the link.

At the very least, perhaps it will give some ideas about how to approach designing your own playmat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooby Wan wrote:
Wisegy84 wrote:

It is. I couldn't find a decent picture I liked that was long enough. Kind of ironic since it's a freaking helicarrier. Maybe I'll broaden my search and try again.

Ultimately it's just down to what you like (and those you play with, I guess). So if a stretched image doesn't bother you then I say go with it. During play it would be covered by cards anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooby-Wan Kenobi
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
TheUbiquitous wrote:
If I may be so bold, I highly recommend this playmat. It's also available on BGG, but I can't for the life of me quickly find the link.

At the very least, perhaps it will give some ideas about how to approach designing your own playmat.

I downloaded that one a while ago, stared at it for a long time and even thought about tweaking it more to my liking. I finally just decided that if I'm going to put effort into the editing of someone else's vision, I might as well just put the extra effort into creating my own. The one you linked to is in my top two favorite mats though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooby-Wan Kenobi
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
I've made some adjustments, changes and, most of all, progress. If the images are clear when viewed on my computer, will they also be clear on a printed playmat? How much, if at all, does the printing process distort the graphics? Thanks for the feedback so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooby-Wan Kenobi
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
Okay, I'd really like some folks to weigh in on whether or not this will print well. Are any of the images too small or detailed for the printer to render them clearly? InkedGaming.com has their sale going on for another day and, if I can get confirmation that my design can be printed clearly enough, I want to get this ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like it should print well. Zooming into each image, they appear to retain their sharpness well enough. The one thing you will want to make sure you do is save/export the final image they will print off of, at the proper dimensions and at 150dpi. That what their instructions call for. None of your images are too close to the edge, so they should not get cut off.

One thing you can try is to make a test print on paper. Print it out at 100%, and span multiple sheets. The trim the edges, tape it together, and see what it looks like. If that looks good, and you like the spacing, then the final results should be good. I did that with mine to make sure the images were sharp, and then played with it several times to make sure I liked the layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sl33p3r wrote:
That looks like it should print well. Zooming into each image, they appear to retain their sharpness well enough. The one thing you will want to make sure you do is save/export the final image they will print off of, at the proper dimensions and at 150dpi. That what their instructions call for. None of your images are too close to the edge, so they should not get cut off.

One thing you can try is to make a test print on paper. Print it out at 100%, and span multiple sheets. The trim the edges, tape it together, and see what it looks like. If that looks good, and you like the spacing, then the final results should be good. I did that with mine to make sure the images were sharp, and then played with it several times to make sure I liked the layout.

I agree, I think it looks fine and should print well. And doing a test print is probably a good idea, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooby-Wan Kenobi
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
sl33p3r wrote:
The one thing you will want to make sure you do is save/export the final image they will print off of, at the proper dimensions and at 150dpi.

For this purpose, resizing my image in paint.NET, are ppi and dpi the same? I tried to look it up myself and got conflicting info.

sl33p3r wrote:
One thing you can try is to make a test print on paper. Print it out at 100%, and span multiple sheets. The trim the edges, tape it together, and see what it looks like. If that looks good, and you like the spacing, then the final results should be good.

Good idea. I printed it off already, but just on a single sheet.

Thank you for the responses, both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,they are the same
DPI = dots per inch
PPI = pixels per inch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.