Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
This hero is inspired by one of my favorite super heroes of DC, Wonder Woman as well as a hero from Ultra Force, Topaz. A warrior woman from another society, world, existence, timeline, where she is the baddest of the bad. I wanted a hero like that for SotM. I designed a hero deck with a strong female character that is very offensively focused that gets better when she has her weapon to help bring out her inner power of being an avatar of her goddess.

*Bio
In an alternate earth, mankind has evolved differently. They are a warrior race of stronger beings with women being the leaders. They praise the almighty goddess who has given them strength to fight off all that would threaten them. The goddess chooses one of them each generation to be her champion, the leader of the people. Zenobia was that choice. Given the spear of the goddess to help bring out the power safely that the goddess had imbued her with, Zenobia lead her people. Her rule was short lived though as a monster came to their world and ravaged their world. Zenobia confronted this eldritch beast, unleashing her power. As she reared her weapon for the final strike, the beast opened a tear in the multiverse and sent her through it, into another world.

Zenobia awoke in a strange world of stone, glass and metal. She witnessed several beings fighting against a large monster and she ran to assist, helping to defeat the beast. The warriors she had helped thanked her, but hesitant of her and her aggressive ways. An aircraft landed nearby and a woman with a spirit came to her and offered her a place among them in exchange for them to due what they can to help her return to her world. She smiled at a deal too hard to turn down.

Hero: Zenobia
HP: 27
Base Power: Readying
-Look at the top 2 cards of your deck, put one on the bottom of your deck and the other on top.

Incapacitated:
-Destroy a target with 2HP or less.
-A player may draw a card
-Increase the next damage dealt to a target by 1

Equipment, Limited, Relic (Qty:1)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Spear of the Goddess (Qty:1)
-The first time each turn that Zenobia deals damage, increase it by 1.
-Power: Zenobia deals a target 4 irreducible projectile damage, then put this card beneath the top card of your deck.

One-Shot (Qty:22)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Me! (Qty:4)
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, you may use it's power without removing it from play.
-You may search your deck and trash pile for Spear of the Goddess and put it into play.
-If you searched your deck, shuffle it.

Gut Shot (Qty:3)
-Zenobia deals a target 2 melee damage
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, you may play another card

Meditate (Qty:4)
-Draw 2 cards, then discard a card
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, do not discard a card.

Cracking Skulls (Qty:3)
-Zenobia deals 2 targets 2 melee damage each
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, you may instead deal up to 4 targets 2 melee damage each.

Drive Through (Qty:3)
-Zenobia deals a target 3 melee damage
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, the damage is irreducible

Deflect (Qty:3)
-The next time Zenobia would be dealt damage, reduce that damage by 2
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, you may instead redirect that damage to another target.

Coup De Grace (Qty:2)
-Zenobia deals a target 5 melee damage
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, you may draw a card

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:11)
Warrior Training (Qty:2)
-The first time you play a one-shot in a turn, you may draw a card. If you drew a one-shot, you may play another card this turn.

-Increase Zenobia's damage by 1
-Reduce damage dealt to Zenobia by 1
-At the start of your turn, Zenobia deals herself 3 irreducible psychic damage.
-Power: Zenobia deals a target 4 energy damage. If Spear of the Goddess is in play, deal 1 energy damage to all other non-hero targets. Destroy this card at the start of your next turn after Zenobia deals herself damage.

Superhuman Race (Qty:2)
-The first time in a turn that Zenobia is dealt damage by a non-hero target, you may reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a one-shot, you may draw it.

Studying Target (Qty:4)
-Play on a non-hero target
-If the target below this card deals damage to Zenobia, you may play a card.
-The next time Zenobia would deal damage to that target, increase it by 1 and then destroy this card.

Ongoing (Qty:4)
Injury (Qty:4)
-When played, Zenobia deals the target 2 melee damage
-At the start of your turn, Zenobia deals the target 1 psychic damage

Equipment, Limited (Qty:2)
Warrior Armor (Qty:2)
-Reduce damage to Zenobia by 1
-If Zenobia is dealt 3 or more damage in a turn, destroy this card
-Power: Play a card, then destroy this card

Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. This is the fourth of the custom decks in the Reaction Expansion that me and my playgroup have come up with. 11 heroes, 10 villains, and 4 environments.

(Edit Notes)
-Fixed missing name issue on equipment
-Fixed order of abilities on To Me!
-Adjusting deck so that the Spear is not overly critical for deck
-Adjusted Meditate
-Fixed wording of Warrior Armor ability
-Adjusted damage to self on Avatar State
-Reworked Studying Target
-Reworked the first ability of Spear of the Goddess
-Adjusted damage of Cracking Skulls from 1 to 2 on first ability and changed amount of targets from all to 4
-Reworked Drive Through second ability
-Reworked Coup De Grace second ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Not sure how I feel about this one...

On the one hand, a bunch of the individual cards feel clever, I like the one-shot dependence and synergy of Superhuman Race and Warrior Training. Avatar state looks like it'd be fun to play too and the (nameless?) -1 damage equipment is a nice twist, stops damage reduction being too powerful as it can be.

However, I'm not sure I like the decks dependency on the spear. I get that it is the source of her power and that she needs it to be effective - big points for flavour, but I'm realllllly not sold that the gameplay would be good.

First impression is that she would be kind of useless without the Spear - almost half her deck is one-shots that are uniformly pretty terrible without it. Deal 2 damage? Deal 2 x 1 damage? Draw ONE card? She has one spear plus 4 cards that can get it, so 5 cards in a 40 card deck, thus about a 50% chance she'll have it in her opening hand. Her innate power does help her find cards, but it still seems likely that in let's say one game out of four she'll just never get one of these cards and suck. Every time I play Deflect/Drive through/Gut shot... that says "If you had this awesome thing you want, you could do this awesome thing you want to do, but you don't, so you can't. Loser."

Plus once you have the Spear out it is more powerful, but I don't know if it's a lot more interesting. The gameplay is just "Cross your fingers and hope you get the spear". Once speared up I can do cool stuff, but there's no particular interesting decisions - it's true that I can destroy my spear to do 4 damage, but I can't think of a time I'd ever want to do that unless I have To Me!, which isn't often. The spear is just too good to pass up, the +1 damage PLUS all her attacks getting better is amazing. Cracking skulls goes from 2 damage to 9+, Drive through 4 to 6...

My closest comparison would be Titan (from Cauldron) who revolves a lot around Titanform, but he would seem generally more interesting to play. Firstly, a lot of his cards work fine if you don't have Titanform so if you get unlucky you're not treading water. Secondly, he has pretty good draw to find it if you don't have it (Forbidden Archives and Misbehave), and thirdly a bunch of his cards play into getting it out, allowing you to play it for free, get it from trash to hand or play, making it so every now and then you can afford to destroy it as you have some clever way to get it back.

Not sure what I'd suggest, but at the moment it seems like while the importance of her spear comes through strongly the gameplay could at worst be miserable (never get the spear or it gets destroyed) or at best be a bit dull (Woo, I have the spear, now I kill everything!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Jaggid88 wrote:
To Me! (Qty:4)
-Search your deck and trash pile for Spear of the Goddess and put it into play.
-If you searched your deck, shuffle it.
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, you may use it's power without removing it from play.

I think you need to put the "If Spear of the Goddess is in play, you may use it's power without removing it from play." line first, otherwise by the time you get to this line the Spear will laways be in play because this card makes you play it.

Quote:
Meditate (Qty:4)
-Draw a card
-If Spear of the Goddess is in play, draw 2 cards instead

As with other heroes this card only has value if you have the spear out otherwise it's just replacing itself.

Quote:
-Increase Zenobia's damage by 1
-Reduce damage dealt to Zenobia by 1
At the start of your turn, Zenobia deals herself 4 irreducible psychic damage.
Power: Zenobia deals a target 4 energy damage. If Spear of the Goddess is in play, deal 1 energy damage to all other non-hero targets. Destroy this card at the start of your next turn after Zenobia deals herself damage.

First off: This card has a lot of text on it and I don't think it would fit a standard SotM card.
Second: Checking it's intened that she'll be dealing herself at least 5 irreducable psychic damage due to the damage on this card alone.
Third: I'm pretty sure the card self destruct should be on a seperate line to the Power.

Quote:
Studying Target (Qty:4)
-When the target below this card would deal damage to Zenobia, reduce it by 1.
-Reduce Zenobia's damage to other targets by 1.
-The next time Zenobia would deal damage to that target, increase it by 1 and then destroy this card.
-Power: Zenobia deals the target below this card 2 melee damage, then destroy this card.

I get what you intend this card to do thematically but to be honest it's not that great, if the villain has lots of targets then you don't really want to be hampering her aoe that muh, so it's a play and a power for a base 3 damage.
If it's a lone villain it's great throw it on them for a base one damage reduction. Mixed with her other equipment card that's a permanent 2 damage reduction.
Which is very swiningy as to how good it is for something that thematically should be one of her big hit cards.

Quote:
Injury (Qty:4)
-When played, Zenobia deals the target 2 melee damage
-At the start of your turn, Zenobia deals the target 1 psychic damage

I just like this card, I had to say.

Quote:
Equipment, Limited (Qty:2)
-Reduce damage to Zenobia by 1
-If Zenobia is dealt 3 or more damage, destroy this card
-Power: Play a card, then destroy this card

I'm guessing this is supposed to be a shield since it doesn't say.
The wording on the card for whenit is destroyed needs a tidy up I think, as currently it is vague as to if she takes three damage in one hit or three damage in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your suggestions and critique. I have made changes on the deck from your input and I feel it is better. I admit, the deck was a bit subpar with it's over reliance on the spear and I made changes that should have fixed that. Instead of a reliance on the spear, it is a booster which should only expand what the cards do instead of straight up enhancing them and strengthened cards so they can stand on their own still.

Also, just in case for any confusion, Avatar State's self destruct is supposed to be on the power so that it feels like you are expelling the energy you have and are no longer empowered. Think DBZ, when they are powered up from all that yelling and then fire a massive blast. They are drained as they put most of their ki into it. Same concept. I worded it the way I did so that you cannot just play the card and then blow it up with the power. You take that much power into you, there is a consequence and strain on your body.

I adjusted the power on the spear so that it is not so much of a godly weapon and must have to keep it out but a nice thing that you will not mind throwing out to get the big hit of damage. The neat concept of the spear is one I did take from a strategy in MTG. When you put something on top of the deck, or in this case under the top card of said deck, you know you will be getting it back, but it will take a little time and will hinder future draw as it is now in the way. So it will be a give and take power. Good damage, but a slow down.

If anyone has any suggestions, I look forward to reading them to keep improving this deck. Honestly, this is one of the decks I look forward to most to playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Farina
msg tools
I feel like she may be a little too powerful, maybe? It's a cool concept, and I agree, making the cards less dependent on the spear is a good idea, but I feel like, especially if she has the spear out, she will be very very strong. For some reason, when I read this, she reminded me of Ra; she's a very big and very high damage dealer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but something to keep in mind when play testing. But, then again, there are only five cards that can get the spear into play in her deck, so it's not too powerful. But at the same time with that, I feel like any support deck playing with her would be focused solely on getting her spear out. Just some food for thought for when you play test. She sounds and looks really cool and fun to play, but just make sure she isn't too op and that she lets other decks play their style, too, without her stealing the whole spotlight.

Other than that, it looks really cool, and I don't have any specific comments/critique on the individual cards so... tell me how play testing goes and what you found she's like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.