$20.00
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm painting the minis from LOME, and I'm stuck at deciding how to identify the minitures by their respective affiliation (I painted the bases of miniatures differently according to nation). In my color scheme FP's leaders have a white base, and Shadow's leaders have a black base.

Gothmog is a member of Sauron Army, but it is not clear if Balrog is also one of them. They are not properly leader or properly characters. So I'm torn between identifying them as red (Sauron Characters) or black (Shadow Leaders).

Elrond and Galadriel also are kind of problematic, if theY are Characters they should be light green as is Legolas, but if they are leaders they should be white. Treebeard is another bigger problem, he is not affiliated with any nation and as such can only fit the role of Leader, BUT he has not Leadership, so he is not a Leader...

The only character that I broke the rule was Gollum that has as rockish base, but Gollum never goes into the map and doesn't really act in any way, either as character or leader, he is just a guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
If a figure has a corresponding character card, it's a character. Being able to identify them quickly helps to check event card requirements ("if you have a companion (free peoples character) with your army, do ..."), so clearly distinguish between characters and leaders.
Regarding association to a nation, most character cards have one nation's symbol on it - or the generic free people / shadow symbol.

Gothmog and Balrog belong to Sauron. Elrond and Galadriel belong to the Elves. Only Treebeard has no affiliation. All of them are characters.

Keep in mind, Elrond and Galadriel count as Companions/Characters only for combat card effects. Also using Saruman, Isengart Elite units may count as leaders, too. The distinction isn't always strict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
tatze wrote:
Gothmog and Balrog belong to Sauron. Elrond and Galadriel belong to the Elves. Only Treebeard has no affiliation. All of them are characters.

Any recommedation on a color for the Treebeard base? For the "free peoples" folk (Merry, Pippin and Gandalf) I used a bluish-silvery-white. I'm thinking on using the same for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should re-read page 8 of the base game rules.

"Leaders" are the free peoples models with flags.

All the unique models are "characters". They have special abilities, but can also "act as leaders".

If you then look at the LOME rules you will see that all the unique models from the expansion are also "characters" (page 16).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tatze wrote:
If a figure has a corresponding character card, it's a character. Being able to identify them quickly helps to check event card requirements ("if you have a companion (free peoples character) with your army, do ..."), so clearly distinguish between characters and leaders.
Regarding association to a nation, most character cards have one nation's symbol on it - or the generic free people / shadow symbol.

Keep in mind, Elrond and Galadriel count as Companions/Characters only for combat card effects. Also using Saruman, Isengart Elite units may count as leaders, too. The distinction isn't always strict.

I actually think there has been an official answer somewhere on these forums to the effect that Elrond and Galadriel actually are "companions" for all intents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
Mattias wrote:
I actually think there has been an official answer somewhere on these forums to the effect that Elrond and Galadriel actually are "companions" for all intents.

I wish they were, to keep things simple. But I'm afraid they aren't.
They are only Companions when the combat effects are used.

All Event cards that require or are affected by the presence of Companions completely disregard the prsesence of Galadriel or Eldrond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Borges
Brazil
Araraquara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mattias wrote:
"Leaders" are the free peoples models with flags.

All the unique models are "characters". They have special abilities, but can also "act as leaders".

Yes, they are characters, but they aren't on par with Companions or Minions (they are even called lesser minions). Like I said: "They are not properly leaders or properly characters" I was refering the main characters (companions and minions).

Also, there is the case of Treebeard that has no affiliation, that is why I thought about treating them differentely, but I do understand your point. I will use nation colors for lesser characters, I'm just deciding on Treebeard.

On a side note I was thinking on using a dark goldish blue (like the FP dice color) for the Gandalf the White and Aragorn bases (since they are upgraded versions and provided dice to FP too), but after all that matter I'm thinking on using the same color as I used for the Free Peoples (bluish silvery white) :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.