$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Fool's Journey» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica
United States
flag msg tools
I found this game after a very random search to find something to do with my Tarot deck, and I have to say that this was the best solitaire experience I've had in a long, long time! I'll write up a proper review soon. However, I found that I had a couple of questions about the rules as I was playing. I discovered that I played incorrectly in one respect, although it still seemed to be rather difficult! These may be rather silly questions, yet I appreciate any help in clarifying them.

Using Unequipped Wisdom Cards

I understand that there is a maximum of three Wisdom cards that may be equipped at any one time. My question is in regards to the Deploy Helpers (Royals) section. In particular:

To deploy a Helper, place one equipped Wisdom card in the discard pile...

In the scenario where I have already equipped three Wisdom cards, why would I not be able to discard a Wisdom card from the Adventure Field (or Satchel) to deploy a Helper? Essentially the mechanics are the same, and I would end up exactly where I began. I actually played by keeping a document open to follow the journey of the Fool. I can go into more detail, but at times I thought that "keeping" certain pieces of Wisdom made more sense to the storyline, and discarding a Wisdom card from the Adventure Field (or Satchel) made more sense from the standpoint of the story. Consider this scenario:

- Adventure Field: The Sun | Four of Coins | Herald of Swords | Two of Swords
- Wisdom: Nine of Coins | Five of Coins | Seven of Coins
- Strength: Empty
- Volition: Empty
- Satchel: Empty

The standard steps (if I understand them correctly):

1. Equip Two of Swords
2. Discard Seven of Coins (Equipped)
3. Deploy Herald of Swords to Two of Swords
4. Equip Four of Coins

If an unequipped Wisdom card could be discarded:

1. Equip Two of Swords
2. Discard Four of Coins (Unequipped)
3. Deploy Herald of Swords to Two of Swords

It saves one step, although it's a very subtle difference. In both instances, I end up in the same position with three equipped Wisdom cards. Then again, this rarely came up during my game, and I chose to deviate from the rules because the Wisdom card in the Adventure Field felt more pertinent to deploying the Helper.

Delaying the Completion of a Challenge

I think I understood this correctly, but I just wanted to be sure! Under the Completing Challenges section, almost at the end, it states:

The completion of a Challenge card may be postponed indefinitely.

Suppose I partially deplete a Challenge, and in the process end up with that Challenge card as the last card in the Adventure Field. I can then start a new Adventure with that partially depleted Challenge still out there, correct? In other words, once progress is started on a Challenge, must it be completed during that Adventure?

Using Strength Before Volition without Losing Vitality

I'll admit that I misunderstood the section about using Strength with Challenges. I still treated Strength and Volition separately: Strength could be partially depleted and retain a smaller value, but Volition was an all-or-nothing scenario. Yet I clearly didn't read this section enough, and would sometimes use Strength before Volition, or use an equipped Strength card and equip another from the Adventure Field. Of 28 Adventures, I used Strength before Volition 3 times and equipped another Strength card 2 times.

This was a complete misunderstanding on my part, although it didn't feel like an unfair advantage. I barely won on my last turn with 4 vitality. Again, this goes back to the story I was building as I played: Often using Volition before Strength made more "sense" for the story, or using a Strength card from the Adventure Field tied into the Challenge at hand. Did you ever test this out? Or am I just completely mistaken?

Interestingly enough, it turns out I accidentally forgot to discard one Wisdom card when I deployed a Helper about halfway through the game. It didn't make a difference since I had a multitude of Wisdom cards show up around then, but it did tie into some things that happened later in the game. Very coincidental, and it certainly made for a very interesting story! As I mentioned, I barely won with 4 vitality on the last turn when I had to resolve three Challenges. I'm looking forward to playing again, especially now that I understand the rules much better! I figure I'll just label that first play through the "Beginner Variant" and say that it was a legitimate win. Ha ha!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desmond Meraz
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Willowbee wrote:
I found this game after a very random search to find something to do with my Tarot deck, and I have to say that this was the best solitaire experience I've had in a long, long time! I'll write up a proper review soon. However, I found that I had a couple of questions about the rules as I was playing. I discovered that I played incorrectly in one respect, although it still seemed to be rather difficult! These may be rather silly questions, yet I appreciate any help in clarifying them.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the game. I was pleased with the end result and also appreciate having something interesting and non-divinatory to do with my Tarot decks.

Quote:
Using Unequipped Wisdom Cards In the scenario where I have already equipped three Wisdom cards, why would I not be able to discard a Wisdom card from the Adventure Field (or Satchel) to deploy a Helper?

Like you said, this works out the same, is faster, and there is no reason not to do this. This is also how I play in that situation.

Quote:
Delaying the Completion of a Challenge Suppose I partially deplete a Challenge, and in the process end up with that Challenge card as the last card in the Adventure Field. I can then start a new Adventure with that partially depleted Challenge still out there, correct? In other words, once progress is started on a Challenge, must it be completed during that Adventure?

You can leave the challenge as is and start the new adventure. Progression to another adventure is initiated once you are down to one card in the adventure field regardless of which one it is.

Quote:
Using Strength Before Volition without Losing Vitality I'll admit that I misunderstood the section about using Strength with Challenges. I still treated Strength and Volition separately: Strength could be partially depleted and retain a smaller value, but Volition was an all-or-nothing scenario. Yet I clearly didn't read this section enough, and would sometimes use Strength before Volition, or use an equipped Strength card and equip another from the Adventure Field. Of 28 Adventures, I used Strength before Volition 3 times and equipped another Strength card 2 times.

This was a complete misunderstanding on my part, although it didn't feel like an unfair advantage. I barely won on my last turn with 4 vitality. Again, this goes back to the story I was building as I played: Often using Volition before Strength made more "sense" for the story, or using a Strength card from the Adventure Field tied into the Challenge at hand. Did you ever test this out? Or am I just completely mistaken?

I am afraid I don't fully understand the question. Can you provide a gameplay illustration. The Fool's Journey is based on the dungeon crawling model so the interaction of Challenges, Swords, and Batons is most easily understood by looking at it in terms of attack and defense. The Sword is used to attack the Trump by placing it on top. If it is bigger, both cards are discarded. If it is smaller, you leave it on top and it chips away at the Trump's vitality. In this manner, you can play more than one sword on top. Now, for defense, the Trump attacks the Fool and you place it on top of the baton that the Fool is using to defend. If the Trump was previously attacked with a sword, you put both cards on top. However, once the Trump attacks the Fool, it can no longer be attacked itself. If the Trump is bigger than the baton, the excess damage spills over into the Fool's vitality. If it is smaller than the baton you leave it on top and it chips away at the baton's vitality. Multiple Trumps can be piled on a baton the same way that multiple swords can be piled on a Trump.

It is possible for various strategic reasons that you may wish to defend rather than attack at any given time. The order of the functions and the use or withholding of a sword or baton is completely at your discretion. The only limitation is that once the Trump has been placed on top of the baton, no more swords can be used against it.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to playing again, especially now that I understand the rules much better! I figure I'll just label that first play through the "Beginner Variant" and say that it was a legitimate win. Ha ha!

Wonderful, please continue to let us know how it goes!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick response and explanations! It's good to know that two out of the three issues weren't mistakes... Yet that last one regarding the use of Strength before Volition is just the result of my misunderstanding.

Quote:
The Fool's Journey is based on the dungeon crawling model so the interaction of Challenges, Swords, and Batons is most easily understood by looking at it in terms of attack and defense.


It helps to think in terms of attack and defense: Thank you for that clarification!

Quote:
The order of the functions and the use or withholding of a sword or baton is completely at your discretion. The only limitation is that once the Trump has been placed on top of the baton, no more swords can be used against it.


This explains it perfectly. I suppose I should make a correction and call my first game played under the "Beginner's Mistake Variant." Ha! I'll be sure to make this correction the next time I play. Still, even with that mistake, I thought the game was both challenging and fun. I particularly appreciate the fact that there are multiple strategies to think about. The luck of the draw does play a role, but the focus is really on the decisions. Excellent work! I hope to have another play through completed over the weekend, and I'll share my thoughts in an expanded review.

Only trouble is that now I seem to be used to keeping track of what I do and writing the outline of a story, which adds on a lot of time. Definitely works for me, though, particularly when I want to enjoy a longer solitaire game. Thanks again for helping me out with these questions!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
A situation last night showed me where using wisdom cards from the hand instead of the Adventure makes sense.

I had a Helper and Wisdom card left in the Adventure. I used the Wisdom card in the Adventure to equip the Helper -- but this left me with no cards in the Adventure.

A new Adventure should occur when there are three cards left; using a Wisdom card as a shortcut in this situation affects the way the Adventure is drawn.

(It is advantageous to draw three instead of four Adventure cards -- less chance of multiple Challenges!)

In this situation, I followed the strict rules and played my equipped Wisdom card, equipped the Helper, drew three new Adventure cards, and equipped the remaining Wisdom card.

I needed about three plays before I felt that I grasped the finer points of all the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.