United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willowbee wrote:
I found this game after a very random search to find something to do with my Tarot deck, and I have to say that this was the best solitaire experience I've had in a long, long time! I'll write up a proper review soon. However, I found that I had a couple of questions about the rules as I was playing. I discovered that I played incorrectly in one respect, although it still seemed to be rather difficult! These may be rather silly questions, yet I appreciate any help in clarifying them.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the game. I was pleased with the end result and also appreciate having something interesting and non-divinatory to do with my Tarot decks.

Quote:
Using Unequipped Wisdom Cards In the scenario where I have already equipped three Wisdom cards, why would I not be able to discard a Wisdom card from the Adventure Field (or Satchel) to deploy a Helper?

Like you said, this works out the same, is faster, and there is no reason not to do this. This is also how I play in that situation.

Quote:
Delaying the Completion of a Challenge Suppose I partially deplete a Challenge, and in the process end up with that Challenge card as the last card in the Adventure Field. I can then start a new Adventure with that partially depleted Challenge still out there, correct? In other words, once progress is started on a Challenge, must it be completed during that Adventure?

You can leave the challenge as is and start the new adventure. Progression to another adventure is initiated once you are down to one card in the adventure field regardless of which one it is.

Quote:
Using Strength Before Volition without Losing Vitality I'll admit that I misunderstood the section about using Strength with Challenges. I still treated Strength and Volition separately: Strength could be partially depleted and retain a smaller value, but Volition was an all-or-nothing scenario. Yet I clearly didn't read this section enough, and would sometimes use Strength before Volition, or use an equipped Strength card and equip another from the Adventure Field. Of 28 Adventures, I used Strength before Volition 3 times and equipped another Strength card 2 times.

This was a complete misunderstanding on my part, although it didn't feel like an unfair advantage. I barely won on my last turn with 4 vitality. Again, this goes back to the story I was building as I played: Often using Volition before Strength made more "sense" for the story, or using a Strength card from the Adventure Field tied into the Challenge at hand. Did you ever test this out? Or am I just completely mistaken?

I am afraid I don't fully understand the question. Can you provide a gameplay illustration. The Fool's Journey is based on the dungeon crawling model so the interaction of Challenges, Swords, and Batons is most easily understood by looking at it in terms of attack and defense. The Sword is used to attack the Trump by placing it on top. If it is bigger, both cards are discarded. If it is smaller, you leave it on top and it chips away at the Trump's vitality. In this manner, you can play more than one sword on top. Now, for defense, the Trump attacks the Fool and you place it on top of the baton that the Fool is using to defend. If the Trump was previously attacked with a sword, you put both cards on top. However, once the Trump attacks the Fool, it can no longer be attacked itself. If the Trump is bigger than the baton, the excess damage spills over into the Fool's vitality. If it is smaller than the baton you leave it on top and it chips away at the baton's vitality. Multiple Trumps can be piled on a baton the same way that multiple swords can be piled on a Trump.

It is possible for various strategic reasons that you may wish to defend rather than attack at any given time. The order of the functions and the use or withholding of a sword or baton is completely at your discretion. The only limitation is that once the Trump has been placed on top of the baton, no more swords can be used against it.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to playing again, especially now that I understand the rules much better! I figure I'll just label that first play through the "Beginner Variant" and say that it was a legitimate win. Ha ha!

Wonderful, please continue to let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
A situation last night showed me where using wisdom cards from the hand instead of the Adventure makes sense.

I had a Helper and Wisdom card left in the Adventure. I used the Wisdom card in the Adventure to equip the Helper -- but this left me with no cards in the Adventure.

A new Adventure should occur when there are three cards left; using a Wisdom card as a shortcut in this situation affects the way the Adventure is drawn.

(It is advantageous to draw three instead of four Adventure cards -- less chance of multiple Challenges!)

In this situation, I followed the strict rules and played my equipped Wisdom card, equipped the Helper, drew three new Adventure cards, and equipped the remaining Wisdom card.

I needed about three plays before I felt that I grasped the finer points of all the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kirkby
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What are helpers in Coins and Cups used for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.