Subject: What makes Colony different from other dice games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most reviewers seem to feel that Colony is refreshing. What sets it apart from games like Artifacts, Inc. or To Court a King? Or even something newer like Roll Player?

Does it increase your control over a "bad roll"? Replayability? Is it easy to learn or is it fiddly?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a little more control over your dice than in Artifacts, Inc. There are a lot of cards that let you modify rolls, guarantee certain resources, or add more dice. The catch-up mechanism is interesting, though I have no idea how that plays out in practice. (permanently discard one card to get as many dice as there are points between you and the leader, or something like that)

I think it's relatively easy to learn, but probably easier if you've played Dominion before as there are similarities there. However, it will take a while to play the first time as there's not a lot of familiarity with the cards or how to get an engine of sorts going. I don't know that I'd say it's fiddly as I tend to reserve that for games more like "Sentinels of the Multiverse". There are some bits to track, but you have limited amounts of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hopkins
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
I think you have a little more control over your dice than in Artifacts, Inc. There are a lot of cards that let you modify rolls, guarantee certain resources, or add more dice. The catch-up mechanism is interesting, though I have no idea how that plays out in practice. (permanently discard one card to get as many dice as there are points between you and the leader, or something like that)

I think it's relatively easy to learn, but probably easier if you've played Dominion before as there are similarities there. However, it will take a while to play the first time as there's not a lot of familiarity with the cards or how to get an engine of sorts going. I don't know that I'd say it's fiddly as I tend to reserve that for games more like "Sentinels of the Multiverse". There are some bits to track, but you have limited amounts of them.

I've found that the catch up mechanic can be an extremely strategic move. I've seen players who just make a rush for points lose because they pull out too far ahead, and then someone gets an extra 5-7 dice on a turn. You can do a lot with that

I usually trash my upgrade card followed by my warehouse when I think it will be my last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dhopkins wrote:
I usually trash my upgrade card followed by my warehouse when I think it will be my last turn.

Daniel, you can only do this trash-a-card-for-dice move once per turn. Unless you meant to say upgrade, followed by warehouse when I think I'll be down to my last two turns

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hopkins
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnott wrote:
dhopkins wrote:

Daniel, you can only do this trash-a-card-for-dice move once per turn. Unless you meant to say upgrade, followed by warehouse when I think I'll be down to my last two turns

-Dave

Yes, I'm aware of that. Sorry. "Followed by" meant on a consecutive turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.