Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » Reviews

Subject: BattleLore: It suckered me, but not how I thought it would rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are like four pages of reviews, so I have not been very tempted to add a review. After all, any Geek looking for an overview of the components and mechanics can find that ad nauseum. And nearly every Geek out there has a very polarized view of this game. It is probably the most hyped game since Caylus or Shadows over Camelot. Nevertheless, I would like to add by $0.02 simply because I have been surprised by how much I enjoy the game despite the aversion I have to hype ever since I was burned by the aforementioned Shadows hype.

As a preface, I should state that I own Memoir 44. I enjoy it. I like the card-driven system. I think the pieces are spectacular. But I don't play it very often. I rarely play two player games. And I haven't been able to get anyone else very excited to play. We should want to, but we don't. I don't own C&C:A because I didn't see why I would want to own a version of Memoir 44 with less chrome and about a period of history I know nothing about and have never really wanted to.

So why did I buy BattleLore? I'm not sure. I passed by it and bought several other games I wanted more. But one day I just couldn't take it any more. I think I was seduced by all the chrome. I'm a sucker for bits. I figured it would at least fit nicely underneath Memoir 44 in my closet since they are the same dimensions (lxw). I could make dioramas from it in my free time (nod to a comment made about the game earlier this week).

Surprisingly, I now find myself with an insatiable appetite to play the game. I have a game group coming over tonight and am crossing my fingers that only one person comes. I actually think the reason is that I really like the mechanics so much more than Memoir 44. I love bold, battleback and the importance of maintaining formations. (And I still love the bits). And I haven't even started playing with lore. We just keep playing the medieval scenarios, slowly adding in game elements. Each one layers in nicely and makes the game fresh again each time it feels like it might get stale. I think lore and the expansions will do the same. I'm in no hurry to get there though despite a sense of anticipation.

The main reason I wanted to write this review is this final point. Many have fussed that BL suckers you into a CCG sort of trance where you're going to spend all your hard-earned cash on more bits and that's not a complete game.

I think the former point is probably true. I haven't yet, but am sure I will. I'm a sucker for expansions (see my Game of Thrones expansions that have been punched out, rules read/reread and not a single play yet). However, the greatest irony for me about BL is that the "expansion" I'm most desirous to get now is C&C:A. I have to. All of the things I love about BL (so far) are apparently even better in Ancients. Plus I get to add leaders. And suddenly I'm intrigued about what blocks will do for the game play. They aren't a distraction; in fact, I believe they remove distractions. They move cleanly and let you focus on the game instead of looking carefully at the bits to remember which ones are which.

Regarding it not being a complete game, I disagree. I could play the first scenario over and over (and have). The fact that the game expands and evolves is a plus, not a requirement. You never have to buy another thing and you could enjoy it for a long, long time. But I'm warning you - you won't be able to. You'll want more.

So, in summary, buyer beware. If you buy BattleLore and enjoy it, you'll end up buying the expansion - Command & Colors: Ancients. Or perhaps you can short circuit BL entirely and just go for Ancients. I think both are worth it, where a month ago I saw no reason to own two, let alone three, C&C games. Run away!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
When you discover that you like BattleLore as much as Caylus, make sure you buy a Microbadge to go with the silly Certs!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TRY THE LORE! If you think BattleLore is great now, wait 'til you get to the Lore stuff. It's fantastic!

I thought Memoir was okay and not great (but showed a lot of promise), so I eagerly snatched up BattleLore and loved it.

I JUST got C&C: Ancients. It's great! I definitely think both are worth owning.

I'm really digging Call to Arms too. Though I agree - the basic game in itself is totally complete. Call to Arms and Epic Battles are nice additions, but not essential . I could quite happily live with just the basic game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BattleLore: It suckered me, but not how I thought it wou
BrianMola wrote:
When you discover that you like BattleLore as much as Caylus, make sure you buy a Microbadge to go with the silly Certs!

I will! Great Microbadges. I just earned my Avatar too. No idea what to use yet though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John G
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BattleLore: It suckered me, but not how I thought it wou
Cheesechick wrote:
TRY THE LORE!

We finally used lore tonight. I need to play with it a few more times. It seemed to add chaos as much as fun. There's an awful lot going on with lore, creatures, dwarves, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
rooboomr wrote:
I will! Great Microbadges. I just earned my Avatar too. No idea what to use yet though.


Here's a quick suggestion. My Icon editor is down so I am having trouble resizing it to 64x64 to make it look nice.



and a little bigger to see it...

 
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BattleLore: It suckered me, but not how I thought it wou
rooboomr wrote:
However, the greatest irony for me about BL is that the "expansion" I'm most desirous to get now is C&C:A. I have to. All of the things I love about BL (so far) are apparently even better in Ancients. Plus I get to add leaders.


BL will add Heroes later on, which might act like leaders or be something completely new.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rooboomr wrote:
Cheesechick wrote:
TRY THE LORE!

We finally used lore tonight. I need to play with it a few more times. It seemed to add chaos as much as fun. There's an awful lot going on with lore, creatures, dwarves, etc.


It does add some chaos, this is true, but I also think it evens things out a little more as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BattleLore: It suckered me, but not how I thought it wou
Yep similar experience to how I got "suckered" into Battlelore.

But unfortunately my goddess likes Memoir 44 better (ok she is not a fantasy girl at all) so Battlelore will have to be a friends only experience... sigh...

ArrOOoo
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls