Subject: What should I do for my first game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sciretta
United States
WEST HOLLYWOOD
California
flag msg tools
Okay so I have the entire Kickstarter collection with expansions and extras and have yet to play a game. Which scenario should I play for my first game? What heroes should the hero players use? Which works best for an introduction but isn't too simple or too easy to be interesting or fun?

I'm guessing the sins included in the core box were probably chosen strategically to be the best introduction, but maybe that's not the case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go with core-game to start. The sins are all relatively similar except their powers... the differences are really minimal, so just stick with core game and Alpha team.

The game recommends you play the Terror Story (Red): Haven's Last Stand. It's the best and most encompassing in terms of learning the rules... Combat-heavy, cleansing, using city actions, etc.

Personally, I only have core box and the 5 extra sins, no other teams. Like the sins, the other hero teams are also all very similar to Alpha team, so for me, it was about what I wanted to paint. =)

Have fun! The last two games I played with my wife literally came down to the last roll (which she won both as the heroes). Good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I've felt from the rules is that there is not that much difference from adding all of the things or keeping with the core. So I've put it all on the table. I've rolled a die to decide which sin and which accolyte to use, and let the players decide which heroes to choose based on their abilities. While they were deciding, I was setting up the map.

The only thing I would recomend you to do is to keep the first scenario as a terror story as the rulebook sugests. It is very streamlined and without any other thing to do except kill things. In my play, we did a Redemption Story and it was kind of bumpy for heroes to try to learn the game and look for innocents and take care to not get maxed out on corruption.

Besides that, I just suggest you to have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
Just go with core-game to start. The sins are all relatively similar except their powers... the differences are really minimal, so just stick with core game and Alpha team.

The game recommends you play the Terror Story (Red): Haven's Last Stand. It's the best and most encompassing in terms of learning the rules... Combat-heavy, cleansing, using city actions, etc.

Personally, I only have core box and the 5 extra sins, no other teams. Like the sins, the other hero teams are also all very similar to Alpha team, so for me, it was about what I wanted to paint. =)

Have fun! The last two games I played with my wife literally came down to the last roll (which she won both as the heroes). Good times!

I have played this a bunch and this is what I would recommend as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnnymaxx wrote:
...and let the players decide which heroes to choose based on their abilities.

Do keep in mind that the Heroes are supposed to be balanced... You can have all the expansion teams, but in the end, you still need 1 Leader, and 2 of each of the other colors for a total of 7 Heroes. Mix and match to your heart's content, but you should end up with 7 Heroes... 1 Yellow, 2 Blue, 2 Red, and 2 Green. It's for balancing purposes.

I've read reviews saying the game is imbalanced, too hard for Heroes... but I think that's because the reviewer didn't play the Heroes right: Use red to lay down a beating, green when you gotta clean the board of tokens, blue when you need to control the streets/clear a path for your red guys, and yellow is NOT a tank, s/he is support.

Not EVERYONE should be going into battle with guns blazing... =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
As everyone yourself included have said -

Just use the core stuff. Alpha team and Terror mission

For sins, I would pick Pride over Sloth for 2 reasons:

1) Sloth seem to be a bit weaker for missions where you don't run around
2) The Pride avatar is freaking huge which players like a lot more.

Accolytes I would say go with doctors because they are the easy to understand and scare off newbies a bit more to pay attention to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.