Subject: What to buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I was planning on kick-starting massive darkness and then I found this game, just find it more appealing.

However my funds are precious, my question is whether the kickstarter knight pledge is worth the money-particularly for the monsters, or do the extra heroes add anything more interesting than just different minis. Is the kickstarter worth the price? or is it mainly for collectors and custom games?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
The KS has come and gone for this one. Do you mean picking up a KS pledge on ebay? Definitely NOT worth the price unless you plan on playing this one so much that dozens of heroes make sense for you! I think having more enemies (which were all extra add ons for the KS campaign) are more interesting than too many heroes.

So I'd recommend that you get the base game and 1-2 expansions. Wulfsburg has more heroes, and some awesome new monsters to fight (zombie wolfs are tough!). I like deadeye walkers (skeletons with a ranged attack), they're also very tough. You might consider picking up another hero box, if any strike your fancy. The zombie bosses (new abominations) are neat, and really cool models. I haven't tried crowz, and the NPC zombies make the game easier (they're just walkers, so adding their cards dilutes the other threats in the zombie deck) and the NPC boxes also include more vault weapons that, again, serve to make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
My answer would be similar to that above, except to say: I'd advise hedging even more. If you buy the base game and LOVE IT (Don't worry, you will...*Chuckle*...), then start looking into add-ons. Unless you can get a copy of the Knight Pledge for ~ 150 USD, in which case, that's the KS price and it might be worth it to sell off add-ons you don't want.

Regardless, playing the base game is likely to give you a good idea as to whether or not you're going to catch the Zcide bug. If you do, then it's just a matter of deciding what you want to do first; add more heroes or more critters to fight.

Worse case scenario you don't like the game (perish the thought), and then you'd only be out the cost of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I feel sure Id like the game, I watched massive darkness for ages but never committed, then saw this and to me it just looks cool!.

One last question, surely if I bought the additional abominations, the I might need some more npcs to balance it out?

re the bosses, that was exactly my thinking, there are just too many heroes in the ks, I know i wouldnt use them, but yeah its all rather expensive, I think the cheapest i could get it either as a bundle or seperately is £170-200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
jstriker wrote:

One last question, surely if I bought the additional abominations, the I might need some more npcs to balance it out?

That's not a bad idea, particularly if you want to play with all the abominations in your deck (gonna be daaaaaangerous!).

What I also recommend considering is to set aside all the abomination zombie cards, the ones from the base game and the bosses, etc. I can't remember how many cards are in the base set, but then you would shuffle and pick the same amount of abomination cards as are in the base set (maybe a few more, just for fun!) and shuffle those back into your zombie deck. That way you don't know what's coming, but it won't be quite as crazy as simply shuffling in all those abomination cards.

In my first two games, I didn't do this. I played with ALL the abomination cards (and none of the NPC cards) and it was crushing. I routinely had 3-5 abominations on the board, and never ended up getting a 3-damage weapon. Those games ended in a loss!

So as you build your zombie deck, even though it takes a bit of time and preparation, consider keeping the proportions approximately consistent with the base set.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great tip, if I were honest, all i really want is the core game and all the abominations, but as I said , I would then want more npcs so I 'could' get all the abominations out if i were unfortunate-thats the most exciting way. but then I might as well get the knight pledge!!!! arrgh gutted to have missed out on this at starter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I emailed them and was able to get in on the night pledge with all the options a few weeks ago and just got the box. I'd email them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias G
Germany
flag msg tools
what did you pay for the knight pledge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.