United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an event triggered

"FIRE"
"All soldiers in squares next to roads may SHOOT in Initiative order"

I take this like a "Ambush" action and you can shoot at a soldiers on a road square next to your own square, not a shoot at anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read it, it simply means your guys next to roads can shoot, at anyone, as long as the target is spotted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Walt. Usually Jeff is very literal in what he says on the cards. I think if he was limiting it to attacking the road square it would say something like "may shoot at any enemy in the road square."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have to agree with Walt and Michael. It's simply a Shoot action and all normal rules apply for shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think it means that every soldier of both sides may SHOOT if the square they are in is next to a road square.

Edit: But not if they themselves are in a road square. Otherwise, everyone on a road square is likely next to another road square, which makes this event rather silly and in need of a rewrite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skippykaos wrote:
Actually, I think it means that every soldier of both sides may SHOOT if the square they are in is next to a road square.

Edit: But not if they themselves are in a road square. Otherwise, everyone on a road square is likely next to another road square, which makes this event rather silly and in need of a rewrite.

To belabor the point, the event does need to be rewritten, it seems. The reason is the phrase "next to". In SMG, "next to" means something. In SDD, it does not as there is not reason to use it. The card applies to both games, which confuses the issue. On the other hand, in SHOW a Vehicle is either on a road or not, if in a road square. Is it "next to" a road if it is not on the road in the same square? And, the fact that a Vehicle has to be on a road or not in SDD makes placement on the square actually matter, where it hasn't before. Well, it has, but only in very specific cases. The safe case, I think, is the one I made in the previous post to cover both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skippykaos wrote:
skippykaos wrote:

To belabor the point, the event does need to be rewritten, it seems. The reason is the phrase "next to". In SMG, "next to" means something. In SDD, it does not as there is not reason to use it. The card applies to both games, which confuses the issue. On the other hand, in SHOW a Vehicle is either on a road or not, if in a road square. Is it "next to" a road if it is not on the road in the same square? And, the fact that a Vehicle has to be on a road or not in SDD makes placement on the square actually matter, where it hasn't before. Well, it has, but only in very specific cases. The safe case, I think, is the one I made in the previous post to cover both games.

So,will this be "clarified" in the new rules release...or go to the occasionally updated "FAQ" area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
420017 wrote:

I take this like a "Ambush" action and you can shoot at a soldiers on a road square next to your own square, not a shoot at anyone.

I played it like an ambush from the side of the road as enemy soldiers pass by ,this made more sense of an action they might take.

Replayed turn and it never had an effect on my game either way but wanted to get it cleared up
So play the cards as written ,seems to be the consensus.
If you are on a road square you can't shoot but next to a road square you can
Thx all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:

So,will this be "clarified" in the new rules release...or go to the occasionally updated "FAQ" area?

Since it looks like I'll be doing both, I would say the FAQ will be a little more frequent.

What I'll push for is a replacement set of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.