Subject: Dverning's SoB Painting Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hello all, my name is Bill and I'm a Shadows of Brimstone addict. Today I'm going to share with the class some of my paintjobs, conversions, and sculpting for my addiction. My hope is to make this a living thread that updates as I get more stuff done. I was not an original backer, but picked up an Outlaw level after the fact. I've since acquired all of the resin I can and most of the retail expansions. I'm also in for most of a month's rent on the Forbidden Fortress KS...

First up, all of my bases are hand-sculpted. Most only take 15-20 minutes, but some of the ones for bigger models are dozens of hours. These are also just snaps from my phone; I try to do decent lighting and all but am not a professional by any means. I also use the SoB art as a basis for color, but gladly abandon that and do my own thing when I want something different.

Work in progress images:

Gunslinger:

Bandido:

Night Terror (and some Spiders):

Saloon Girl Mostly done:
Her face was miscast, so I resculpted it. I'm... somewhat happy with the results but don't want to do that again.

Void Spiders!:

Stranglers:

Tentacles and Goliath:

Harbinger
WIP, as bone effects weren't done yet

And final, where he lives on my shelf because he's too big for a case:

And the current(ish) state of my hobby area:

I also have the other core set Heroes, Slashers, Hungry Dead, and Hellbats done. I just need to get around to photographing them... Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see more of too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Okay, I busted out the camera to get some more badly focused and poor composition shots for you!

Night Terrors:

Heroes:

Hungry Dead: (Dear gods, cat hair...)

Void Spiders, different view:

Hell Bats:

Slashers:

More Goliath:
Minecart at his feet was entirely freesculpted.

More Harbinger:
Yes, I sculpted every single skull on that base. Took me weeks as you can only do a couple at a time. (I'm bad about squishing prior areas, so I try to let things cure between sculpt sessions.) There's also a number of geeky references. There's a 3-eyed skull, an orc, a predator, Jack Skellington, Iron Man, a Terminator, a Dragon, a giant turtle, a giant bear, several wolves, and others. The research for the skulls was actually surprisingly fun too.

With the core boxes done, now I'm working on a stack of Wave 1.5 stuff. I also want to go back and fix some issues with these:, such as additional flocking and/or the water effects that have smooshed out of shape in my carry case. I'll post updates in a month or two when I've got something to show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow. These are the best painted Brimstone minis I think I've seen (with the possible exception of Mr. Lovejoy's himself), but the poses and bases are what really sell them. Amazing job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks, Robbie! I can't help but see every flaw, missed stroke, and error. The compliment is extremely appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Really fantastic stuff! I love what you've done with modifying the poses, fixing damaged hero faces, and of course--those gorgeous bases, especially the skulls sunk in the swamp! Travelers beware indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Harbinger base is AMAZING! What a clever idea, I wish I could think of things like that (and then actually have the ability to do it!)

Impressive work all round!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Okay, it's been a bit over a month and I've gotten some new stuff done. I'd planned to wait until I had finished my Hydra, but that's taking a lot of time and there's unexpected life issues. Broken pipe = house flooding = several industrial de-humidifiers and a bunch of fans = pain to paint. Between that and my shoulder, it looks like fate is saying I should take a week or two off painting. So I decided to update with what I have now...

First up, a resin depth tracker:

and of all of these I've seen, I've never seen anyone post the backside. I did mine in a faux wood technique stolen from some home improvement show:

Lava Men. The darkstone mohawk was totally my wife's suggestion. I was unsure, but people have really commented on it a lot. The guy coming out of the lava is another favorite. I have to shake my head at that, since he was just the stock model with his feet cut off; it was stupid simple compared to the others. Such is life:

Gunslinger template. The red and green are both clear coats over metallic to keep the sheen right.:

Custodians. I am thinking about doing some leg changes so I can base them properly. They and the spiders look wrong by all the other based figs.:

Targa Pylons. I'm torn on if this is their final form or if I want to add more weathering and cracks. It's good enough for now, I think:

Resin Darkstone. We use them as reverse Scavenge tokens:

Swamp Slugs. These guys were a blast to paint:

...and a close-up of the freehand on their heads. Apologies for the grain and color; I had to play with the shutter speeds and gamma in order to reduce glare thanks to the super-gloss finish:

Harvesters. The bioshock guy's drill arm is all grey stuff and plastic pipe. I also redid the entire hips on the swamp guy, to put the other foot forward and change the body angle:

and a couple WIP shots:

Void Sorcerers. Amusingly, the one on the right got a knife conversion because his original blade broke off and disappeared during basecoating. The one on the left got all the way to varnish before his broke and disappeared. I expect cats were involved. I'm hoping to find one when I clean up my work area next, but expect I'll be doing another conversion instead. Additionally, I'd already made the "orb" conversion and was doing the tentacle altar base when the resin lieutenant was released. It seemed an appropriate fit:

And finally, a preview of what I'm doing with my Hydra. I did a lot of pattern and color research and realized that the model as sculpted (and often as painted) could be so much more with some careful work. Plus, after seeing some amazing master class work on SoB figs, I decided to challenge myself to paint it how I felt it should look. The technique and precision of what I'm seeing in my mind is still a bit beyond my ability, but I'm coming close and getting better as I practice it. It's a LOT of freehand work and blending. This was a WIP pic from earlier in the week and I've since gotten about twice this amount of coverage done:

EDIT UPDATE: VOID HOUNDS. How could I forget these guys? The "phasing" one started out as a simple repair job for a foot that was broken during posing. That led to a rock which led to a wall... It went through a very long "ugly" phase until I finally got it to a point where it clicked. I'm really happy with it now. I also slip geek references into many of my sculpts; there's a movie reference on the back...:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, Very,very cool cool. Amazing work. Thanks for sharing .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
So here's a few new items for you! First, a Darkstone Hydra:

And as a break when painting the above, I also did my Frontier Docs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther B
Netherlands
Nieuwstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That Hydra is simply stunning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.