Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last scenario is really not fun ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Baker
France
Rennes
flag msg tools
We just ended our first campaign, and I4ve to say I was highly disapointed by the last scenario.

It's just like playing the lotteroy to know who will be able to steal the kill from the others ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WilliamB wrote:
We just ended our first campaign, and I4ve to say I was highly disapointed by the last scenario.

It's just like playing the lotteroy to know who will be able to steal the kill from the others ...


I think most people agree the final scenario is not well designed and the weakest point of the game. Hopefully the new dragon levels may improve it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a lot different from the other scenarios. Most of them have several different objectives that you are competing with the other players to achieve. The final one only has the single objective and it turns a lot more into a pvp type of thing where players fight over who is going to get the final blow in. That changes the flow of the game considerably compared to the more laid back almost co-op feel of the rest of the missions.

I agree that it is the weakest scenario in the campaign and I too hope that the new Dragon final conflict scenarios will add something new and fun to end the campaign. For now, just start up another one with different characters and take a different path through to play some of the other scenarios that you skip over or give the Beyond the Grave ones a try. They final one there is better than the original game, but still very similar in some ways unfortunately.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the final scenario is especially weak if you all decide to cooperate to kill the last boss. If you go in instead with the mindset of last man standing, it can be much more tense as death curses pile up along with the body count until someone can get left along long enough to land a killing blow.

My first run we played nice on the final scenario and it was really anticlimactic. Looking forward to seeing Inferno's final scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. The group I played with decided that in order to kill Lord Fang you first had to clean out the room of monsters in order to make it more thematic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had the same sensation after finishing my first campaign. This is why I decided to create my own home made last scenario.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122752/home-made-final-sc...

Actually, we need to give another chance to the original one, as since then we have always chosen in our campaigns the home made one.

It would be great if you could try it and make suggestions.

Bonne chance!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We feel the same way that the final scenario is just very lack luster the way they have it setup it comes down to who can get the last blow in to win it and people turn it into a PVP slaughter fest for the most part, I feel the beyond the grave campaign is way better and the final boss really feels like and epic battle more and there are simply more strategic thinking in that last scenario cause of how the final boss moves and can mess you up with his movement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For us it wasn't so much the strength of the final scenario but the fact that the final scenario is what determines the overall winner of the campaign. That part is very anticlimactic. We decided to play for a points system throughout the campaign and overall total points wins the game. The final scenario then gives a decent bonus but not necessarily the win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep hearing that yet in many sports games, the final game decides the winner, too. It's a solid goal. The previous games give you better loot so you can do better in the final game.

My issue is just that it takes a long time to play and set up for a game that's just to kill a single enemy. It should be a smaller, quicker, more interesting battle, if it's going to be this type.

Or you can make it a point system but then you have the issue that often times you'll know who the winner is before you start, and if you make the final game worth so many points that you don't, you're really just back to winner-takes-all anyway so the points are unnecessary stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Or you can make it a point system but then you have the issue that often times you'll know who the winner is before you start, and if you make the final game worth so many points that you don't, you're really just back to winner-takes-all anyway so the points are unnecessary stuff.

Not to get too far off topic but what we do is keep our point total secret, and it tallies after each scenario with what's left after the upgrade phase. So you have a decision point at the end of each scenario - spend for upgrades or bank? You might have an idea or a sense for who is leading but you can't slack off in the final.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Coren wrote:
Or you can make it a point system but then you have the issue that often times you'll know who the winner is before you start, and if you make the final game worth so many points that you don't, you're really just back to winner-takes-all anyway so the points are unnecessary stuff.

Not to get too far off topic but what we do is keep our point total secret, and it tallies after each scenario with what's left after the upgrade phase. So you have a decision point at the end of each scenario - spend for upgrades or bank? You might have an idea or a sense for who is leading but you can't slack off in the final.


Hi Chuck. Sounds like you have it working for you, but my problem is that your points aren't a secret. I don't see that as a good official rule as it requires ignoring the points of other teams to make the last round interesting. Obviously, if it's good for your group then that's all that matters

Anyway, I do look forward to the Dragon encounters. If they can make it a very quick setup and playing scenario with nifty and dramatic effects, I'm all for it.

Growing up watching football and tennis, I never blinked an eye at the concept of the final round determining the winner anyway. I just found it boring and tedious and long for what should be a knock-out punch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we're really looking forward to Inferno too. I bought all the dragons. Couldn't help myself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Yeah, we're really looking forward to Inferno too. I bought all the dragons. Couldn't help myself.

Me, too. I was weak.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
Carcking wrote:
Yeah, we're really looking forward to Inferno too. I bought all the dragons. Couldn't help myself.

Me, too. I was weak.


I had been saving up money for many months before the Kickstarter dropped.

I was strong, I was able to help myself to ALL the stuffz!cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.