Subject: Indigo in Brazil!?!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfredo Pacheco Neto
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
I´m looking forward for this game, but I was kind of disappointed that the good that Brazil produces is indigo.

It never had any importance for brazilian colonial economy.

At the first years of colonization (until 1540´s) the extraction o pau-brasil wood (used to make red pigment to dye clothes)) was the major activity.

But after few years the Portuguese started to produce sugar on it´s colony, and brazilian northeast region became the world greater producer, beating the all the spanish colonies together during the XVII century.

Because of it´s richness there was a long war between Portugal and the Dutchs for this territories.

Today Brazil still is the world greater producer.

I think I´ll assume that both regions produces sugar whenever I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo was produced in Brazil during the last half of the eighteenth century. It seems that it could have been more important if the colonial powers had not messed up.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0022-0507(196503)25%3A1%3C3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually wanted to have the trade good be Dye wood, but this sounded a bit odd, so you can think of it representing both Indigo AND Dye wood (both dyes).

Sugar is certainly huge in Brazil, but it's kind of the defining commodity of the Caribbean, so I had to make a tough choice. Of course, various regions produced several goods...Picking one representative good was in certain cases a compromise. Ultimately it gives the appropriate flavor, but is not entirely accurate of the entire colonial economy of each region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Pacheco Neto
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
Indigo was produced in Brazil during the last half of the eighteenth century. It seems that it could have been more important if the colonial powers had not messed up.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0022-0507(196503)25%3A1%3C3...

OK. I agree I exagerated a little with the "any importance" expression. But even during it´s short term production, initiated with the support of Viceroy Maquise of Lavradio, indigo didn´t reach (except in Rio de Janeiro province where it took the 3rd place for a while)the top 3 goods planted on the whole colony for exportation on that period : 1st: sugar, 2nd: cotton and 3rd: tobacco (this one mostly used for slave trade with Guinea and Angola).

By the way, the brazilian indigo of that time wasn´t well accepted by the international market for two reasons: poor quality if compared with the U.S., San Domingos and India´s production; and the falsification that commonly occured. So it sounded to me kind of strange that Brazil was associated with indigo.

Anyway, I agree it´s a game and that is impossible to adptate all the details from reality, and by the other hand some of the facts are more notorious to some people than to other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Pacheco Neto
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
Budley wrote:
I actually wanted to have the trade good be Dye wood, but this sounded a bit odd, so you can think of it representing both Indigo AND Dye wood (both dyes).

Sugar is certainly huge in Brazil, but it's kind of the defining commodity of the Caribbean, so I had to make a tough choice. Of course, various regions produced several goods...Picking one representative good was in certain cases a compromise. Ultimately it gives the appropriate flavor, but is not entirely accurate of the entire colonial economy of each region.

Thanks for the reply Glenn.

I understand now that you wanted give some space to the dye market wich was one of the major goals of the colonial exploitation and that´s is really difficult to define a exclusive representative good for a region (specially if we´re talking about more than 3 centuries period) different from others on the board.

As I love games with historical flavor I´ll probably order it soon though it will cost 3 times more to import to Brazil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls