The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: extra reaction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seb
msg tools
Hi,

2 questions concerning extra reaction token the sin player can get:

- each cards stating "gain X reaction token" (pride: "alone in the dark: If hero is alone, he takes 1 corruption, and you gain 1 reaction token", wrath: "Dying wish: choose one: draw 2 sin cards, or gain 2 reaction tokens"...): i guess the gain is permanent, and the token are not disacrded at the end of round, but I'd like confirmation please !

- according to apocalypse track #4: "sins player gets +1 reaction token every round"
does that stack among rounds ? ex: start first round with 3, +1 = 4 tokens on round 2, +1 = 5 tokens on round 3, and so on... or just start first round with 3, +1 = 4 on round 2, and 4 tokens on round 3, etc...
also this one I guess it doesn't stack (stating the difference of the 2 wording "+1 reaction token" and "gain X reaction token"), but I also need confirmation please...

I know, I play with very precise(and annoying devil) FAITH players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that in the end of the round, when you Reset tokens, you discard any extra reaction tokens you might have gained this round. The exception is the one gained by the Apocalypae track because that one is permanent.

So to answer you, I would say 1) No, they are not permanent and 2) yes, it will be cumulative, because each round you'll gain another reaction token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Johnnymaxx wrote:
The rules say that in the end of the round, when you Reset tokens, you discard any extra reaction tokens you might have gained this round. The exception is the one gained by the Apocalypae track because that one is permanent.

So to answer you, I would say 1) No, they are not permanent and 2) yes, it will be cumulative, because each round you'll gain another reaction token.

There is no exception that I can see in the rules. All extra activation tokens are discarded by the Sins. The Apocalypse track token is also discarded, but then gained at the start of the new round, making it effectively permanent, but not cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb
msg tools
OK, I missed the part with discard exta turns in the rules...

Kevin, I think the apocalypse extra token is cumulative, as expressed directly in the same chapter:
" Any extra Reaction tokens he might have gained during the previous Round must be discarded, unless the effect that granted them is ongoing (such as the extra Reaction token granted by the Apocalypse Track)."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, I have only 7 reaction tokens in my box... this seems little in case of cards + apocalypse effect...

Anyway, thanks for your quick responses, guys !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That appears to be correct according to the rules - the extra turn gained from the apocalypse track is cumulative, most, if not all, others are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Shurikn64 wrote:
Kevin, I think the apocalypse extra token is cumulative, as expressed directly in the same chapter:
" Any extra Reaction tokens he might have gained during the previous Round must be discarded, unless the effect that granted them is ongoing (such as the extra Reaction token granted by the Apocalypse Track)."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I interpreted it as only one extra token total, because anything in parentheses can be omitted without changing the information/sentence. The reason it is cited like that in the rules is to call attention to the fact that the token is "permanent" and not just an extra token for the 4th round.

Second if you were to rule the cumulative way, how do you interpret rounds 2 and 6? Does the sin player keep getting additional monsters every round or accumulating dice every fight? I would say that is far far stronger than the 7th round benefit. At round 4 or 5, I doubt the heroes could effectively out kill the spawn rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Duerksen
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play that reactions granted by Sin cards are temporary (for the round only), and the reactions granted by the Apoc track are permanent, but a 1-time only gain. That's my interpretation of what they were going for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sintec
msg tools
COGGaming wrote:
I play that reactions granted by Sin cards are temporary (for the round only), and the reactions granted by the Apoc track are permanent, but a 1-time only gain. That's my interpretation of what they were going for.

That's how I played it in my first game yesterday. Seems to make the most sense. The temporary ones are 1 offs for the current round only, use it or lose it. The Apoc track grants an extra token in each round so takes you from 3/4 to 4/5 reactions a round (depending on the number of heros in play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I'm ve played it also. But after reading the rules again to help answer this thread I got confused and I'm not so sure. But this is how I will play it also in the future. It is what makes most sense. Like Kevin said in his answer, if we read the extra reaction token in the apocalypse track as being cumulative, we would have to read all the rest as cumulativ as well, so we should always reveal another apocalipse card, for instance, and this is not what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.