Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastiaan Benders
Netherlands
Amersfoort
None
flag msg tools
mbmb
Heya guys,

I found somewhat negative reviews about Roma on here and I'd like to give prospective buyers of the game a somewhat positive note on the game as well.

I have played Roma about fifty times now, especially with one of my friends... so the two of us are quite competitive now. We both still enjoy playing very much!

The complaint I hear most often is that it is very unbalanced. Players that are lucky win easily, games do not last very long, once someone is behind he cannot come back into the game, and so on. I must admit that there are *a few* times in which this is the case. We have often experienced a real 'battle' taking place. I have played this game, one session, sometimes for over an hour. I found that players *can* fight back and that very different strategies are possible.

While there certainly is a luck component involved, as with all dice-based games, I really found the game to have a serious strategy component as well. Chosing cards, your strategy, well, can bring your victory, or can sometimes just buy you some time to simply stay alive. Roma can be a very fun game, in which both luck and strategy do play a part.

While I certainly acknowledge that bad luck *could* render a player incapable of putting up a good fight, at least as often I get a fun and exciting battle out of it. For its price, Roma is a great game and, in my opinion, one of the best two-player games out there.

Cal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you describe some strategies that you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree; Roma deserves a better reputation.
I was looking for such a game and I tried Blue Moom, Minotaur Lords and Scarab Lords; while these game have som merit, Roma was clearly the most enjoyable game for me, and despite the use of dice, it felt the most controlable.
I would be glad if I could buy another game based upon the same core system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More than half my games are what I would call degenerate. Either the players are scrambling to not lose all their VP in the first few turns, or one player gets a Forum/Templum early and rolls #/6/6. I've also had fantastic hour-long games with some great tactics. For me, what this game needs to give it a higher rating is more starting stability: maybe 5 cards to start, more VP's, some starting money or cards in hand. Anything to mitigate the chances of it starting too one-sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
More than half my games are what I would call degenerate. Either the players are scrambling to not lose all their VP in the first few turns, or one player gets a Forum/Templum early and rolls #/6/6. I've also had fantastic hour-long games with some great tactics. For me, what this game needs to give it a higher rating is more starting stability: maybe 5 cards to start, more VP's, some starting money or cards in hand. Anything to mitigate the chances of it starting too one-sided.

You are perfectly right, but I think the short duration mitigate what you describe; even better, degenerate games are extremely short lived.
Of course, I imagine that some people experienced a degenerate game (love your term because it is right on) or two in a row as their first experience and jumped to conclusions; I think it is the main reason for the low ratios, because like you I have had extremely good times with Roma!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls