$30.00
Zack Perez
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Besides a second core set and Edge of Darkness.

I plan to play it just 1v1, but I had thought about the Balance of the Force Expansion. I know I was suggested to avoid the Hoth Cycle, even though the force packs are cheap right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zackp3 wrote:

I plan to play it just 1v1, but I had thought about the Balance of the Force Expansion. I know I was suggested to avoid the Hoth Cycle, even though the force packs are cheap right now.
The other 2-faction deluxe boxes are a good option:
Between the Shadows (Jedi/Scum)
Imperial Entanglements (Smuggler/Navy)
Galactic Ambitions (Rebel/Sith)

Like Edge of Darkness, each of these also contains 1 set for each other faction. Unlike Edge of Darkness, you only need 1 copy of each box to get the full complement of sets.

The main caveats there are that the Smuggler cards in IE are generally weaker/harder to build decks around, and that these boxes include new versions of cards like Luke, Leia, Vader etc that are also found in the core set or EoD, which is worth bearing in mind in terms of the new options they provide. (They also contain sets with characters that don't feature in the core set/EoD.)

Balance of the Force is best avoided for now as it contains very few cards for 1v1.

The other route is to pick any of the non-Hoth cycles that takes your fancy. Buying a complete cycle will generally present you with more obvious synergies you can easily build decks around. Alternatively, you can pick and choose packs based on sets/cards that you like - I would normally recommend visiting CardgameDB for this, but unfortunately that site is having a lot of issues at the moment and is currently unavailable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't plan on playing multiplayer (and I wouldn't blame you) then I'd avoid Balance of the Force.

Not sure *why* you were told to skip the Hoth cycle. There are some sweet packs in there including "Assault on Echo Base" which includes AT-ATs. I liked matching up speeders vs AT-ATs, and I still enjoy Vader's Fist. And probots. Who doesn't love probe droids?
But it's really going to come down to what *your budget* is (how many do you plan to get---a couple now, maybe a couple later, maybe a whole cycle and several deluxe packs) and *why* you want them (are you looking to be competitive, balanced, thematic, etc.).

I liked the Hoth cycle, because I was really keen on setting up Hoth battles between the players.

I got all the Echoes cycle, because I was looking to enhance the Jedi and it did that.

I was relatively unimpressed with Rogue cycle as pilots didn't really do it for me.

The newest cycle has a number of Ewok sets, so I got those so I could make good Ewok decks. Of course not everyone will do that.

The other deluxe packs as mentioned above are pretty popular, depending on which faction you enjoy playing----that may dictate which you'd prefer. Not sure you can go wrong if you are liking the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordson
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i just buy core sets + deluxe expansions, would the game be good enough to play casually and would the replayability be there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
Not sure *why* you were told to skip the Hoth cycle.
Presumably that recommendation came with power level in mind. Competitively speaking, the sets in that cycle are generally much weaker that what's come since. In terms of theme and fun, yes Hoth is not a bad choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
mpappy wrote:
Not sure *why* you were told to skip the Hoth cycle.
Presumably that recommendation came with power level in mind. Competitively speaking, the sets in that cycle are generally much weaker that what's come since. In terms of theme and fun, yes Hoth is not a bad choice.

Yes, I wondered if the recommendation was based on if he was planning on making decks for tournament play or not. Certainly 'Echoes' and some of the deluxe packs really ratchet up the power post Hoth.

But then again, I'm a guy who makes "Dark Side Neutral", "Ewok" and "Tauntaun" decks for the sheer fun of it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Perez
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I plan to get the other big expansions as the time (and money) comes.

I like that there were recent releases of force packs for Rebels though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiden00 wrote:
If i just buy core sets + deluxe expansions, would the game be good enough to play casually and would the replayability be there?

Yeah. The cycles add some neat stuff, especially if you're a fan of the old EU, but they're not necessary for enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gillmeister
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all you got were all the deluxe boxes you would have an awesome casual game. There are some awesome thematic pods and decks to be made. Deck building would also be consistent as you get 2x of the pods in everything but the core and EoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zackp3 wrote:

1. Do not buy Balance of the Force. It's not worth it.
2. Buy Between the Shadows and Imperial Entanglements.
3. Don't underestimate the Hoth Cycle. It's actually pretty good, especially if you plan to play thematically. I agree with everything Pappy wrote above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
zackp3 wrote:

1. Do not buy Balance of the Force. It's not worth it.

To go into a bit more detail here. Balance of the Force only has 36 playable cards for 1v1. Seriously, that's it. Each faction gets a single "one per deck" pod. Some of the pods do have neat cards or mechanics built into them, and there are a few cool characters that initially made this more appealing. It includes versions of Mara Jade and Dash Rendar. Though they both got new (and arguably, better) versions in the cycle that followed.

The meat of the expansion are two "challenge decks," designed for 1v2 or 1v3 games. The light side deck involves keeping Luke out of Imperial hands between ESB and RotJ. The dark side deck involves getting the Death Star II operational and blowing players off the table.

They're cool, but none of the cards can be mixed into normal decks at all (they don't even have normal card backs.

DarthEd wrote:
2. Buy Between the Shadows and Imperial Entanglements.
Galactic Ambitions is also pretty neat. When you stick those three boxes together, you've got a fairly balanced, coherent, expansion to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiden00 wrote:

Absolutely. That's a sizeable investment, but if you like the game you'd get plenty of variety and balance with each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Perez
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
One other question, I plan to do decks for each group, so that's 6 decks with 10 objective sets. To avoid cards being mixed around, what is the ideal amount of sleeves needed, I have enough for 4 Decks worth at home technically speaking, but I would prefer to have different sleeves for the objective deck and command deck (ex. Say it's the Jedi, I want to sleeve the objective deck cards red, but the command deck cards blue), what would be the ideal amount to get to have enough sleeves for the 6 decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
To avoid cards being mixed around I wouldn't pick only two colours for 360 cards in the first place ;)

Personally I use a pack of proper FFG fancypants sleeves for each deck (Darth Vader, Jabba, Luke Skywalker, Leia and so on), and clear sleeves for the objectives (since I have piles of quality clears).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordson
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpappy wrote:
Raiden00 wrote:

Absolutely. That's a sizeable investment, but if you like the game you'd get plenty of variety and balance with each faction.

Awesome! thanks! now looking to trade, but most traders not in Malaysia or Asia
will look harder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.