12 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Friends of Old (SPOILERS INCLUDED) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Okay, the rebels have to pick a side mission for next week. It's between Friends of Old and Indebted. I'm guessing they'll pick Gideon.

Threat level : 4

So a couple of questions
SPOILERS

1) When you reveal the token and they turn into rebel allies - are they part of a single group? Meaning once they activated, they can't activate again even if you reveal a new one this round?

2) The green one says a hero can interrupt and perform a move\attack then to deploy a droid. Does that mean the droid is deployed only after a hero decided to interrupt or not?
Also, are the rebels supposed to know about the droid before performing their action.

3) What are the odds of actually succeeding in this mission?
The heroes include Gideon (with the double command ability) and Diala (with force push) so moving the rebel allies around should be a piece of cake for the rebels.

In fact, if the yellow token isn't in the top left or bottom left places, the rebels could send someone to each token, activate it and then just rush the rebels outside.

Diala can throw the rebel across the water in the lower half and Gideon could give 2 commands (he has the XP ability) and let them both reach the exit on the first turn.

So... What are the odds of actually winning this against that setup?

Other heroes are Fenn and Gharkan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use the spoiler tags next time.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
yes, they're all part of the same group

2. Yes, forst hero interrupt then deployment, but you deploy it even if no interrupt takes place. I don't think there are definite rules for this, so I go bullet point by bullet point. As this is one point iirc, I tell them.

3. Given that the dice and token distribution aren't incredibly on one side of probability distribution, the rebels will win this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are intended to read each rule in the mission event fully, then perform it one sentence at a time. The rebels will know there is a Probe Droid coming when they perform the move or attack. (Btw, for the future: if an instruction says move and attack, they can be performed in the order of the controller's choosing.)

In most missions for simplicity you would also read the whole event section fully before performing it to avoid skipping something by mistake. There are only a few where rebels need to choose without knowing the consequencies.

Friends of Old is most often very easy for rebels (even just 2 rounds), or quite hard, depending on the order of the revealed tokens.

Rebel Troopers are controlled as a group with their deployment card. If the deployment card is exhausted and the rebels reveal another rebel trooper, that trooper cannot activate during that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally, I'm hoping my rebel group will pick this tonight - they have had a really hard time of it and this is their last side mission so a win would be great. However, it's probably obvious, but there are only three rebel trooper markers - are we assuming one is bound to get defeated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grumbletweezer wrote:
there are only three rebel trooper markers

Make of it what you will, it will become clear when playing (or when the imperial player is preparing by reading the mission rules ahead of time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
grumbletweezer wrote:
there are only three rebel trooper markers

Make it what you will, it will become clear when playing (or when the imperial player is preparing by reading the mission rules ahead of time).

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Thorpe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is in my experience a pretty sure win for the rebels.

Three of the tokens start less than 2 moves away from the exit, and you cant block them from moving, and they have enough health to take a hit relatively safely. The party will always have gideon who can give an extra move.

If the party is smart, they will time it so you get one activation to attack the token between moves before they rebel is safe, and if you don't have the ability to bring multiple attacks on the target in that activation, you wont get a kill. Remember that they chose to activate the token based on what forces you have nearby. And the rebels can afford to lose a one rebel even if the imperials do get lucky.

If they rebels are lucky, and get the closest two tokens out, there really is nothing the empire can do to even try and win. If the empire gets lucky, its still incredibly hard for the rebels to lose, but at least might be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrinthic wrote:
It is in my experience a pretty sure win for the rebels.

Well, not the group I play with (I'm the IP, just to be clear). They did that thing they always do, just used up turns trying to kill my guys instead of going for the objective which meant I just brought on more guys. When playing the rebels myself I've been pretty much stomped all over (though not done this mission) but I did learn that you have to focus on the objective if you're going to get anywhere. Initially I did particularly badly because it didn't occur to me to go /through/ the IP figures :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:

yes, they're all part of the same group

a1bert wrote:
Rebel Troopers are controlled as a group with their deployment card. If the deployment card is exhausted and the rebels reveal another rebel trooper, that trooper cannot activate during that round.

How do you know? I don't think this is particularly clear from rules.
When we played the mission a few days ago, we interpreted them as meaning that every Rebel Trooper is its own group. Like a Rebel Trooper group with 2 eliminated figures.

You may well be right with your interpretation, but is there anything from FFG on this question? I couldn't find anything.

Now that I think it through, an indicator for your position is that there is only one Rebel Trooper card in the core game. Particularly in combination with the RRG entry "Component Limitations". But is this already enough to justify the ruling? Is there something else I overlooked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's how all groups are activated: when you activate a group, you activate each figure in that group in the order of your choice, then exhaust the deployment card or activation token.

Rebel Trooper figures correspond to their deployment card. When you activate the Rebel Trooper group, you activate all of its figures in the order of your choice, then exhaust the deployment card. You cannot choose the group to activate a second time during a round because it is exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no indication in the mission rules that break that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
It's how all groups are activated: when you activate a group, you activate each figure in that group in the order of your choice, then exhaust the deployment card or activation token.

Rebel Trooper figures correspond to their deployment card. When you activate the Rebel Trooper group, you activate all of its figures in the order of your choice, then exhaust the deployment card. You cannot choose the group to activate a second time during a round because it is exhausted.

There is nothing in the campaign guide that says that all of the Rebel Troopers belong to the same deployment card, though. At least if it weren't for the component limitations of the core game, they could as well belong to three different groups / deployment cards as far as I can tell. (And the Rebel Trooper ally pack has at least a second Rebel Trooper deployment card.)

But in the end I agree with you, if only due to the Component Limitations rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.