Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Need.. To.. Pull.. Trigger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo (1/3), with my wife (1/3), and with my 11 and 13 yo daughters (1/3 of the time). I think we'd like this game but I'm just not sure yet - my daughters like Fuse but haven't played other coops. My wife and I have Pandemic and Forbidden Island but they don't get much play, usually if she wants a coop, we play a solo and discuss moves. We've never played a programming game before. We don't have any minis games, we traded Arcadia Quest away because of setup time, it didn't work as well with 2, and some of the meanness of it. I've never paid more than $50 for any game - we tend to have smaller games.
Every game we play, we have to buy, with few exceptions, because we aren't a part of a game group.

But I want this. My wife gave me permission to buy it tonight as her gift to me for Christmas. Opening that 16 pound box with all the minis, programming my crazy mech and seeing it move and destroy minions sounds so fun!

I'm so close to being convinced to make the biggest board game purchase I've ever made.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son used to have Arcadia Quest as his number 1 game. Well, not anymore. Mechs vs Minions has successfully dethroned AQ.

From your post, I read several concerns. Hopefully, my post below can help in answering your concerns.

Setup time is very fast in MvM. It usually involves in getting the boards out, putting mechs and minions on them, placing the gears. Maybe you need to put the crystals and the coins as well. Maybe it takes 5 minutes to do. There is no fiddly bits like exploration tokens, doors, portals like in AQ.

Player counts. The game works well with 2-4 players but the community seems to disagree on whether lower player count is easier or harder than higher player count. Personally, I prefer playing with all four mechs. If you play two players, just allow each player to control two mechs. That's what I have been doing with my son.
According to several posters here, it is possible to solo the game, by controlling multiple mechs at once. I guess that would provide solo players with interesting mental challenge, optimising each card draft.

Difficulty. MvM is very easy to teach! You just need to do a quick tutorial then you can dive to the wonderful world of MvM. The game will introduces more complex rules in later missions but by that time, you are already familiar with the basic thus the extra rules won't be cumbersome to remember.

Hopefully that helps and click that purchase button if you haven't done it yet!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
I'm so close to being convinced to make the biggest board game purchase I've ever made.


I see you are new to this hobby
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
Langalore wrote:
I'm so close to being convinced to make the biggest board game purchase I've ever made.


I see you are new to this hobby


About 18 months, but we've tended to prefer small games over larger ones.
I should clarify - my biggest board game purchase for a single game is AQ: Inferno which I don't have and I plan to trade or sell once it arrives anyways. I've also made several >$100 purchases from online or my FLGS but it's always been for multiple games. My last CSI order was 6! games for $102.

I looked very hard at Carson City: Big Box and decided not to get it because the opportunity cost of so many games for the $140 was too great - why get 1 game when I could get 6-9?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
afafard wrote:
Langalore wrote:
I'm so close to being convinced to make the biggest board game purchase I've ever made.


I see you are new to this hobby


About 18 months, but we've tended to prefer small games over larger ones.
I should clarify - my biggest board game purchase for a single game is AQ: Inferno which I don't have and I plan to trade or sell once it arrives anyways. I've also made several >$100 purchases from online or my FLGS but it's always been for multiple games. My last CSI order was 6! games for $102.

I looked very hard at Carson City: Big Box and decided not to get it because the opportunity cost of so many games for the $140 was too great - why get 1 game when I could get 6-9?


That's an opinion that I respect but don't share.
For me, it would be like buying 10kg of games because it's heavier than 5kg for the same price.

When you are into this hobby, it's not about the amount of games you get but well about the ones you are excited about and the fun you want to have.
I have games that I wouldn't want to exchange, even for 20 other ones.

So, my counter argument is this one: is it worth having one game that you play and enjoy a lot or having 6 of them that are gathering dust on your shelves?
That is what determines how much I want to pay for a game. And that alone.

I would not buy HeroQuest even for 10$ in mint condition but I would buy Kingdom Death Monster for 400$.
Because Kingdom Death Monster will be played so many times that it would cost me less by play session than HeroQuest would.
It's just a matter of personal taste and potential fun.

Look at the video playthroughs with your wife and kids.
If all of you are excited about the game, just get it.
If they are meh about it or have doubts, just pass.
And if they are but you are so excited about it that you re willing to play it essentially on your own, go for it.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in my case, like I was saying - I don't have a way to play games because I'm not a part of a game group and with 3 children rarely get out to participate (I've been to a board game meetup 3 or 4 times in those 18 months). So, every game we play, we have to buy.
I'd rather take my chances that we are going to love one of those 5 or 6 games than we are going to love the only game I purchased. Does that make sense?

We are watching Watch It Played and Rahdo tonight for them to see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It does, to a certain extent.

It depends on how "easy" gamers you and your family are.
If you tend to easily like a game, it's a fair approach.
If not, the odds are against you and you'd better focus on the games you already know about (video play throughs, text reviews, BGG posts, etc..).
As far as I'm concerned, if I buy 10 games with a blindfold, chances are that I would like 2 of them, at most.
Beyond that it also depends on how you consider games: if it doesn't matter the game you play as long as it is an evening "filler", your approach still makes sense.
But if the game itself, it's mechanics and personality is important to you, then you'd better not take the amount of boxes you can get into account.

I will tell you my own personal trick:
Whatever the number of players I expect to have around the table, I only purchase a game IF and only if I'm excited about this game AND if it can be played solo.

This way, it's quite simple: I only buy games that I know I am excited about and that I would, at least, play solo avery once in a while.
And if other people are willing to play the game with me, it's a very welcomed bonus.
I hope for that to happen but I certainly don't count on it.
This way, I am never disappointed and choosing a game becomes a personal thing and part of the fun on its own.

That's why I am a member of the 1 Player guild here on BGG.

There are so many quality games that can be played both solo and multiplayer nowadays that it's a reasonable and practical way to select the ones I want with no room for errors.
And MvM is one of them :-)

I don't tell you that you are wrong. At all.
I just shows ONE other way to deal with the problem because you said that playing solo is an option for you (which is not the case for everyone).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
When you are into this hobby, it's not about the amount of games you get

... says the guy with 139 games.


No, don't go looking at my collection. You see nothing. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along. Our princess is in another castle.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
baylock wrote:
When you are into this hobby, it's not about the amount of games you get

... says the guy with 139 games.


No, don't go looking at my collection. You see nothing. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along. Our princess is in another castle.


Your sarcasm is uncalled for and here is why:

First of all, if you go and check what these games are about, a lot of them are just expansions, add-ons or even some extra cards or figurines that are registered on BGG as "games". In fact, this counts for 69 items on the list.

All in all, I have a total of 70 games, at most.
These have been carefully chosen among more than a thousand of games I read about. It means I buy less than 7% of the games I investigate which is quite reasonable. These games have been bought and carefully selected, one by one.
I didn't acquire them in bundles, at once. So, it's consistent with my claim.

It's still a lot, but bare with me:

I've been animating a board gaming club for years which explains the amount of multi-player games I have (these counts as half of the list and are my earlier purchases).

The other half of the list is about 35 solo-able games that have been selected for more than 4 years and each game took me days if not weeks of research before I purchased it.
They are played because I like them all. They don't gather dust.
I never had to sell any of them yet because there is almost no disappointment (in my whole collection, I have three games that I'm not so sure about and that's it).
Still consistent with my claims.

And the reason I gave that advice is precisely because the multiplayer games I have that are not soloable haven't seen the light quite often since I left the gaming club.
Because of that, I don't rely on other's tastes or presence to select the games I want to buy anymore.
This is precisely why I search games that are soloable even though I expect to play with others once in a while.

So what looks like paradoxical to you at first glance is in fact the heart of my argument.
I know what it is to have games that won't hit the table even though you like them, just because you depend on others to play them.

I hope it makes sense ;-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
baylock wrote:
When you are into this hobby, it's not about the amount of games you get

... says the guy with 139 games.


No, don't go looking at my collection. You see nothing. These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along. Our princess is in another castle.


Your sarcasm is uncalled for and here is why:...

It's not unwarranted sarcasm, paradox, or anything else. It's a subtle joke! He's commenting on how FEW games you have. Did you look at his collection? His list is 927 games. Only someone with merely 139 games would say collection size doesn't matter!

In regards to the OP: I love the game, but I'm a big fan of programming style games, cooperative games, and the theme so I am their target audience.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't take it as an offense at all but humour or sarcasm, either way I thought I should explain my point.

And no, I didn't see the amount of games he has because I didn't think it would be relevant. That would have been like a pissing contest.
Gaming is my hobby and as such, I consider that I have a reasonable amount of games. I don't compare.
But yes, of course, if he has so many games, I agree that his comment is more humorous than sarcastic ;-)
Almost a thousand games, man that's a lot!

Anyway, I really think that if OP is willing to play alone (he seems to be), it would make his choices easier and more efficient. That was my point.
And for the other arguments, as I said, I respect them but just don't share them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
I'm so close to being convinced to make the biggest board game purchase I've ever made.


Well, it's good practice for painting... whistle



(No, really. Women tend to be better painters than men, so if you have another potential painter in the family, it's a good set to start with!)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that if you order now you might not get it till after Christmas.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommended Mechs vs. Minions over Arcadia Quest. It's co-op, so it doesn't have the "mean" factor. It sets up faster since the tiles are easier to identify, fewer things go on the board, there's really only 2 enemy types to put on the board, and I've yet to have to setup more than 4 boards (not all the way through the campaign though).

I think if you were controlling more than one mech, then solo would work fine. It's also a lighter game than Arcadia Quest, so it should be easier for your wife and daughters to pick up. Especially, since the game progressively introduces the players to new mechanisms.

If you're worried about whether your family will be interested in playing it, then have them watch a video about it. Find out if it also looks fun to them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Langalore wrote:
I'm so close to being convinced to make the biggest board game purchase I've ever made.


Well, it's good practice for painting... :whistle


My 13 year old daughter actually is a very talented artist who wants to make a career of it. She was very excited that she might be able to paint the AQ Inferno minis, so I'm sure she'd jump at the chance to paint the minions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
I hope it makes sense ;-)

Yep! Your advice is solid. I didn't mean to distract from that; I was just in a silly mood.

Cheers!
laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I put the money down just now. While I'd love it before Christmas, because I'd love to play it with my family during the holidays, I'm not concerned about it. It'll come when it comes and I was late on ordering, I'm sure there are 1,000s of orders ahead of mine.

So excited for it though! I can't wait to play it!

Thanks for everyone's advice.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
Well, I put the money down just now. While I'd love it before Christmas, because I'd love to play it with my family during the holidays, I'm not concerned about it. It'll come when it comes and I was late on ordering, I'm sure there are 1,000s of orders ahead of mine.

So excited for it though! I can't wait to play it!

Thanks for everyone's advice.


I hope you and your family really enjoy it. Feel free to keep us posted here on what your verdict ends up being...? And, in the unfortunate situation where it's a purchase you really regret, I think we have a pretty player-focused return policy.

We value your satisfaction over your sale.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
I hope you and your family really enjoy it. Feel free to keep us posted here on what your verdict ends up being...? And, in the unfortunate situation where it's a purchase you really regret, I think we have a pretty player-focused return policy.

We value your satisfaction over your sale.


Wow, thanks Chris. I'm sure we will like it. We watched some Rahdo and Rodney yesterday, they were enthusiastic. I'd been debating for a while and I've done my research - enjoyed you on both Secret Cabal and Rolling Dice and Taking Names.

Keep making games for us in the board game community!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Haddon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

FWIW, since you said this was your biggest game purchase ever, know that you are getting exceptional value for your money. Because Riot self-produced this game, they kept the cost way down. A more conventionally produced game, of similar quality and components, would probably cost double what MvM costs. Not to mention the $5 shipping for a 15lb box. Incredible!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is still my #1 favorite game, but MvM is definitely in my top 10 as well.

To the OP.. if you're looking for simpler games to play with the family, here's a few that has worked well at engaging my similar-ly aged nephew and nieces. Light games with a social aspect, no minis.

Mysterium
Dixit
Sheriff of Nottingham
Spyfall
Apotheca
Machi Koro
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShotgunGames wrote:

Mysterium
Dixit
Sheriff of Nottingham
Spyfall
Apotheca
Machi Koro


Cool! Thanks for the list. We have Machi Koro Deluxe and Sheriff, they like both. We had Dixit but traded it away, they were meh on it. I'm to look closer at Spyfall.

My Secret Santa sent us Battle Sheep today, I'm really excited to play that with them!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I'd love to see this post updated after you receive you game and play it with your family. I love hearing when games bring a family together!

2) My kids are also not so keen into playing board games but there is one that they do love to play so I will suggest it...

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rent13579 wrote:
1) I'd love to see this post updated after you receive you game and play it with your family. I love hearing when games bring a family together!

2) My kids are also not so keen into playing board games but there is one that they do love to play so I will suggest it...

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.


Don't you need a large group for that one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Murder in Hong Kong. It's alright I guess. Personally, I am not a fan of games where everyone has to close their eyes, then one person opens their eyes to see who the murderer is, etc... Sometimes, it's so obvious right at the start of the game.

One time I was playing the game, and we all closed our eyes. I could tell that my friend next to me was the murderer because I could feel the table shift slightly when he lifted his hand to identify himself as the murderer. Knowing my friend's personality, I looked at his face-up cards and declared, "It's him, and knowing him he probably chose the panties as the murder weapon and the hotel as the location." I got it right before the game even started.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.