Subject: Anybody still play games on the floor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't surprised to hear some stats that floors are dirtier than before. And while kids are better suited for this, I know some adults who wouldn't be able to get back up from the floor.

The term "tabletop gaming" is thrown around, but it's every bit a misnomer as "board game" where there are no boards and just cards, dice, tiles, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we just moved and don't have a coffee table yet (or any other table for that matter), so i've been playing on the floor lately

it's not my preferred though, cos sitting cross-legged gets a bit uncomfortable after a while, but i have been known to play some games on the bed when we're watching tv (like playing on the ocean with all the waves of sheets and blankets)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I play on the floor. Some games work better there. Marbles, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Reading the subject header made my back wince in pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My cat did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I will occasionally play card games on the floor (WH40K: conquest, Dice Masters, Star Wars Destiny). I find the my knees can't sit crosse legged for too long. Guess I'm starting to get old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schlueter
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only this one Battle Masters.

There are not many tables that can handle a four ft by four ft battlefield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play games on the floor with my sons, as it allows them a better perspective on the board and better reach. Like other oldies on here, I don't so much sit though, more sort of sprawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got the knees for that.

Pete (must be getting taller because every year the floor seems farther away)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do when im too lazy to get out the card table.. then about 15 mins into the game i regret it and end up with a sore back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on the floor with my kids whenever my back starts to feel great. Then when I'm done my back hurts a ton and my knees are bruised and I wonder what the heck I was doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... some social games during a party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Of course not. It's covered here at 2:11:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I wouldn't surprised to hear some stats that floors are dirtier than before. And while kids are better suited for this, I know some adults who wouldn't be able to get back up from the floor.

I often play on the floow, and I'm middle aged. I prefer a chair for long games though.

FWIW, floors used to be dirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will often setup game on floor not out of preference purely coz it's the only flat surface available (and sometimes the only one big enough as nmodern games seem to be getting bigger and bigger footprints, looking at you star wars rebellion ) as in our house as soon as a nice flat surface is cleared my kids will normally take that as a sign that it needs something on it. Be it laptops, homework, or just random bits of paper which no one will admit to putting there .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
I did a year ago. That was painful and uncomfortable. And even though I had just washed the floor, it remained dirtier than I would have wished it to be so...

Yeah, not having enough room for a decent table sucks. And that's still the case :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when playing Claustrophobia. There are certain map layouts that would require a stupidly shaped table, so the floor makes it easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cassie
France
Manosque
Provence
flag msg tools
Wow... honestly, this has never occurred to me! Which surprises me as I can see the potential benefits. Now whether my pushing 50 gaming group can manage that is another question! My daughter would dig it though so maybe we'll have to try it (with tons of pillows for us older folk!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Marx
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been several years since I sat on the floor to play a game. My dining room table is generally only used for family gatherings and board games. I don't have children and my family gatherings are only a couple of times a year, so it mostly just board games in there now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, either with my children or if we are playing two games at game night. When playing with my children sometimes the game is on the sofa (usually Connect Four as I have a mini travel set which is very small). Sometimes we pull a piece of wood out to play on that or use a mdf chess board if want a flat surface.

I'd almost always play at a table if I had the choice (maybe I'd play some 2p card games on the sofa). Cushions and something to lean against make the floor less uncomfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not since my Dungeons and Dragons days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Closest we get to the floor is 7 Wonders Duel on the coffee table. We sit on the floor and lean against the couch. My hips can't do criss-cross-applesauce, kneeling leaves me too tall for games on the floor, and lying prone is uncomfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Play all my games at home on the floor, I have a board covered in green baize I put down. Into my mid forties so I do make 'old man' noises standing up after a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...but it takes me a few afterward to straighten entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Yorga
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:

....I do make 'old man' noises standing up after a game

This this this. 80% of my gaming is solo whilst Mrs Yorga watches some tat or other on TV, only notice how uncomfortable it is when I try to stand up to get a drink or something. "Old man knees"

I was thinking of getting myself a felt board to stick under the settee as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.