Subject: Two out of three: End game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Levesque
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I see many complain about is how hard it is for the losing player to come back in the game, especialy in the third round if he lost the 2nd and 1st.
I think I'll put in a house rule to remedy the long third round with it's almost inevitable outcome. Either the game ends automatically at the 2nd round if the same player won the first two or maybe instead of automaticaly ending the game it would be the losing player's decision after losing the first two round, to give his oponent the victory.

What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find the third round to be any longer than the other two, and the scoring system seems to adequately allow a 3rd round comeback in our games.

We play with the optional rules, FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All 3 rounds are exactly the same: play until the deck runs out. The default scoring system is brilliant. You can easily get 3 or more points in the final round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Berg
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are absolutely right. I played today and lost the first round by one stone, the second round by two stones and then got creamed in the third round. I did not get the cards to break my way in the third round. Even then, if I had the cards, I was so far behind that I had to play two cards to remove a bridge and my opponet had the cards to replace and keep what he had. I spent several turns spending two cards to remove and he spent one to replace. I couldn't make up for it! My feeling was that going into the third round, I could make it up, but after several plays, I knew I was done for. So perhaps a mecry/slaughter house rule is a good idea for Kahuna. Beg for mercy and play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing ONLY 2 cards to remove a bridge is poor play, for exactly the reason you describe. In Kahuna, the tactical goal is to place stones, thus removing the opponents bridges in the process...and potentially a stone or 2 in the chain reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
It does depend on the board situation and probably what cards you managed to take into the 3rd round for your master-plan, but I agree with Jim (ekted) that it certainly isn't over in all situations if you lost the first two rounds. Heck, the most glorious wins are losing round one and two and then snatching it in the last by an impressive ripple.

"Hopeless" situations after round 2 are only hopeless if the trailing player thinks it is a lost cause, and we have packed up many a game in which the writing was firmly on the wall. But a skilful player can make sure that even large majorities can come seriously unstuck by a well hoarded hand, removing a single bridge in the Achilles heel, and putting an own bridge in instead, triggering wave after wave of majority loss and opponent bridge removal.

That won't happen by accident, but to automatically deny it when an opponent gets round 1+2, not only deprives the game of the tallest-tale victories, but also changes the dynamics of the first 2 rounds, as the player who wins the first round can concentrate on securing enough to win round 2 without having to consider a ripple threat in the last round. And that is so much easier!

EDIT: Jim and I are both suggesting that the key is to remove a bridge AND put in one of your own. If your plan doesn't stop there, all the better. There are tons of ways to make sure that someone's lead and majorities aren't set in stone, and keeping key cards for round 3 can be stronger than playing them in round two, even if that means giving your opponent a marginal win in round 1+2. There really is more depth to this game than you appear to have established, and if you hit that layer, this game gets only better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Levesque
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading your comments I'm not going to use the automatic loss after the second lost round. I will use the voluntary forfeit rule by the loosing player of the first two rounds if that player sees no possibility of comming back for a win.
I'm far from being an expert kahuna player and therfore I think that where some of you veterans see strategies for winning the third round , I can't. A third round come back is, juging from your replies, possible most of the time but the loosing player must have an idea of how to do it, if he doesn't he can either try and learn from his third lost round or conceed the victory and try a new game.
Personnaly, for my next couple of games, if I'm losing you've convinced me to try the desperate comebacks and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Berg
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I needed to stress the times when the cards are really against you and your master plan would work if you could play two cards to remove a bridge, but you are missing the third card to play a bridge. Alas, this was the situation I found myself in yesterday (several times). In the meantime, my opponent completed all the bridges to that island and I essentially had two useless cards in my hand. Here is the hard choice: what do you do with those cards? (Example: I had two IFFI cards and he had completed ALL bridges to IFFI. I had JOJO (3:1)and KAHU. I had a hand of five cards with no other play. Instead of discarding and picking up one new card, I played both to make room in my hand (I was hoping for the nonexistant wild card). Still a fun game though, and it is fun to see the cascade of events when islands change hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls