Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Reviews

Subject: But Will It Suck?...The Scariest Thing About BaHotH. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the general kvetching about the "new" Avalon Hill here on the geek, Betrayal seemed to have the most divided opinions of the latest offerings.

I, at one point, had it in my Tanga shopping cart (or was it Toys-r-us cart) but ditched it before making the final click.

But at night dark things kept whispering it's name in my ear, and I returned to its posting time and time again here on the geek wondering...

It was not just the nay sayers on the geek that was holding me back. My friend Marty had bought a tile-laying, co-operative, horror-themed game that TOTALLY SUCKED called "When Darkness Comes." We tried it a couple of times but never squeezed an ounce of fun from it.

Finally, though, the Geek gave me the opportunity to make a trade for Betrayal, which not only saved me money and cleared out closet space, but it turned out better than buying new as the previous owner had organized the chits and downloaded all the fixed manuals and FAQ's.

I played today after receiving the game earlier in the week, and we spent almost as much time talking about the game afterwards as playing it. Fantastic fun.

I'm off to a birthday party, and once I get a few drinks in me, I fear that I will be trying to regale people with tales from the house.

So, I was Flash, right, so by time the reckoning comes I've got an eight in Speed and I've got the pistol, so I'm ready to start laying waste to some monsters. Only trouble is, Marty turns traitor and gets turned into a Zombie Lord with a half dozen zombie minions on the board that are all IMMUNE TO GUNSHOTS.

So, I'm all racing around, trying to dip into rooms and get some new item that might be of use as a weapon against the lumbering dead; Jessie, meanwhile, has the medalion and magic spear so she squares off against Marty only to roll a 2 on 6 dice to Zombie Lord Marty's 10 and get zombified herself.

Next thing I know, they're all chasing me down the basement when I hit a dead end, but my future self comes through a mirror and hands me that promises "pleh lliw siht." SAVED, I think, but just for a minute. The bastard hands me a skeleton key to open the vault room...so I still can't kill anything.

The rules don't make it clear if I can use the pistol to shoot myself, so I make one last ditch effort to sprint through coming hordes, but my movement (reduced by all the zombies I have to dodge) leaves me on a zombie space and the Zombie Lord just tears into me next turn.

At least, Zombie Jessie didn't kill me and share in the win at any rate. That woulda really sucked.

During the heated Ameri-trash debates, someone--perhaps Barnes--pointed out that Ameritrash creates experiences that you tend to talk about for years to come.

Perhaps Betrayal will fade quickly, but wow, right now I can't think of a better time playing a game, or one that had as an exciting, if largely futile, climax.

A hearty endorsement.

Man, that was cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see this game has found another believer!

This game totally rocks. We have squeezed so much enjoyment out of this game.

Do yourself a favor though and download the updated hero's & traitor books from the website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Velivassakis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play and enjoy both Euro and Ameritrash games, but mostly Euros.I "fell in love" at the first sight when i saw BaHotH on the game store shelf and fortunately the feeling get stronger any time I play this game!! I LOVE IT!!! Easy to learn,easy to play,great atmosphere and a lot of fun!!! Unfortunately my gaming groups don't share the same opinion! So sad cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I read a lot of uncomplimentary reviews and comments about this game, but my friend really wanted to play it, so when he got one, I reluctantly played it. The first play was interesting, but no great shakes (no pun intended). But the plays after that were a lot of fun. Worth playing, and hits a much sweeter spot with three or four players than with two. A cool idea, and one of the better horror games I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was soooo disappointed that they never produced any other games in the series. Different settings/characters etc would have created a nice series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great little review...convinced me to buy/trade for it...I'll have no problem finding it for around 20 bucks..cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget Jankowski
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The rules don't make it clear if I can use the pistol to shoot myself

*grin* It's surprising how often that question can be relevant in this game!

We've also had a great time with Betrayal, and we bought it right after it was released, so long before revised manuals were available. Some scenarios worked fabulously, some - not so much. But we have ALWAYS had a great time.

It works well if people get into the theme of the game. When people are arguing about who is going to pick up those batteries you just dropped to help someone with a dead flashlight - "Not me! I don't wanna die!!" - then you know you've found the right group. Another thing we do is when a person is knocked out of the game, we get them to help the traitor control any other critters, if any, that might have sprung up when the haunt started, which helps minimize people having to cool their heels while the game finishes.

It works well when people are comfortable making rules decisions on the fly, and not sweating the intricacies of the details. Like when I declared - after I ended up being the traitor the first four games I played - that there was now a "Bridget is not the traitor next game" clause. Typically, I was found to be the traitor in the next game, so another person and I switched characters. The next time the group played, I couldn't be there (work), so they called me when they got to the haunt and said, "Guess what? We just rolled the haunt, and somehow, the rules say you're the traitor!!" Again, this is a sign you have the right group playing it.

I wish we had logged a session report of that dragon haunt scenario. That was hilarious. All I remember is that the haunt came up really fast (not much house explored), and the remainder of the game turned into an extended Scooby-Doo chase scene, with many crispy-fried explorers in the end.

It's not a game for everybody. Glad it worked out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridget J wrote:
Typically, I was found to be the traitor in the next game, so another person and I switched characters. The next time the group played, I couldn't be there (work), so they called me when they got to the haunt and said, "Guess what? We just rolled the haunt, and somehow, the rules say you're the traitor!!"

Priceless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Rasmussen
Denmark
Helsingør
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petegrey wrote:

Do yourself a favor though and download the updated hero's & traitor books from the website.

I tried this game once, but i only got confused by the rules in the "original" rulebook. So, where can i find these updates to the hero's & traitors book?

And is there other updates that i should download, who would make the game easier for me?

(sorry for my bad english!)

Thanks

/Mikkel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revised booklets:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20051201b

FAQ:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/hoth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Rasmussen
Denmark
Helsingør
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michel wrote:

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The links at this site should clear up some issues.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/hoth

Hope that helps. We've really enjoyed this game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but my future self comes through a mirror and hands me that promises "pleh lliw siht." SAVED, I think, but just for a minute. The bastard hands me a skeleton key to open the vault room...so I still can't kill anything.

Wait!!! If your future self was able to come back and confront you, that means you shouldn't have died at the hands of the Zombie Lord! Something in the Matrix is glitched....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, although it may initially appears that way, they clear up that exact point in Volume 13 of the Corrections and Clarifications, The Encylopedic Companion to BaHotH...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So did you manage to pick up a copy of this before the prices started skyrocketing?

Hope you enjoyed it if you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls