Subject: MBP vs Conan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Why is this game has less backers and pledges compare to Conan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
khian wrote:
Why is this game has less backers and pledges compare to Conan?

Brand recognition, hype, and Conan had like 200+ minis for $99.
You are also comparing a coop game compared to a draft game.
MBP can still outperform Conan too. Doubtful but possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
doubtful it will be Conan.

Unless they get more backers, it will not happen. While there is always an end of KS surge, it will not be 5K more backers. If we hit 10K backers I will be surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way late delivery on Conan and not even complete yet, crappy rule book, lots of errors and what the other guy said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
I was at the Conan campaign and they raised 1 million at the last days of the campaign. When the last days backers join and grab the exclusive addons, the campaign soars. Mythic Battles may even outdo the Conan last days due to the all-in bundle.

Backer count is on par with what Conan had at the same time of the campaign, if not slightly higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Way late delivery on Conan and not even complete yet, crappy rule book, lots of errors and what the other guy said.

Yeah, that certainly kept people from backing in the early stages, I think.

I wonder, though, if anyone is still convinced at this point, that they are going to repeat their mistakes from the Conan campaign.

I, for one, am convinced that this will run A LOT smoother.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

Yeah, that certainly kept people from backing in the early stages, I think.

I wonder, though, if anyone is still convinced at this point, that they are going to repeat their mistakes from the Conan campaign.

I, for one, am convinced that this will run A LOT of smoother.

Bye
Thanee

Well, since the models are ready for manufacture and the rules have been playtested for a few years already I don't see why they would deliver so awfully late this time. A few months? Sure! But years? Nah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while guessing why or why not people back something is ... well guesswork, an additional reason might be, that Conan backers just got box loads of stuff.
They, in many cases, didn't have time to use yet and so they just might not feel the need for a similar game right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j biscoe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've heard the Conan rulebook mentioned in a negative way several times now, & in several different places. What are the specific problems with it? I ask as an on-the-fence MB backer, who has been seduced by the art & miniatures, and have thrown in for $99, but I'm also backing Forbidden Fortress as an all-in, & am planning on backing Kingdom Death as well, so resources are stretched a bit thin. Basically, I'm wondering if I should back off of MB. The fact that it isn't designed for solo play is a strike against it, but still, it looks pretty cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Conan rules were written for players who already knew the game, not for new players. A rewritten rulebook is being made and will be available as a free download and a free physical copy for Conan players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in the game but a few things turned me off, even though some might be considered minor. That said, I will not be backing the game, My reasons are below if interested:

1. Conan. Lots of misprints and translation errors that will not be fixed. A bad rulebook (but will be fixed). Might be more, but I just woke up and cannot be bothered to remember till I get at least 2 cups of coffee in me.

2. Competition. I have wanted Kingdom Death Monster forever and I am finally getting a chance to order it during this campaign. I know, different type of game, but because of reason 3. KDM wins.

3. Money. Just spent over 2k on a school test, New cell phones this month, expecting to spend at least $500 on KDM, and Christmas is too close. Somethings had to give because if it needs to go on a credit card or pulled from a savings account, I can't responsibly afford it.

4. Theme. They have mentioned other themes (Vikings, Egyptian) and I am much more interested in those. Yes, if this game does not do well (it is doing well) enough, the additional themes will not come. I am willing to take that risk because of reason 5.

5. Competition 2. The game looks great, but I have skirmish games I am very happy with and because of that I am willing to wait for a product that is exactly what I want, even if that means it might not come. I am currently invested, loving, enjoying: 40k, Home Raiders, and Wild West Exodus.

So in the end I hope this game turns out great and I hope that ends up with a theme I like more being introduced later (like Z:BP did). But because of the time of year, other expenses, and past dealings, I am happy to wait on the sidelines. I used to care if I missed out on exclusives and backed every KS that I had a slight interest in, but that has burned me in the past and now I just have too much hobby stuff to ever really need more, so I am ok with letting stuff pass. Something cooler eventually always comes along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
František Orálek
Czech Republic
Blansko
Unspecified
flag msg tools
1. MBP its primary for 2 players only. When you want buy 100 dolars+ game, you are probably nerd and play regulary multiplayer board games. Thats the main drawback.

2. Conan Tons of miniatures and relatively lots of scenarios on first sight. Solve the the problem semicoop rpg today - tons of materials and nearly no scenarios.

3. Very different aproach in KS - Conan - overproduce 100 dolar pledge with feel of complete game and expansive uninteresting big expansions x MBS - 400 dolar pledge for feel of complete game - basic pledge simple missing campaigns, naval battles, some really cool minis - thats high price tag for thar feel, you have 3-4 another basic ks for that

4. Conan - tons of mob minies not realy 3D x here more character minies

5. MBP - its real wargame where you must think and attack enemy, know game - Conan - game owner take game master other players take heroes, you dont need know game to have a fun, nowadays lot of people have lots of games and dont play 1 game often and dont want to learn something really seriously

In my eyes is MBP winner. Its real serious game with miniatures, not miniatures with rules for everybody, these games for everybody are more and more today, the same progress as in computer game, no learning curve.

So this game will have less backers but many people will buy all-ins or big expansions because they are good, if they earn more or less money thats big question, they naturally think, that they earn more in MBP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Dueñas
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Both games are awesome... and more different that it seems.

"Mythic battles" is more of a miniature wargame. Conan is an arena-based combat game with some stuff from dungeon crawlers.

I'm glad I bought my Conan through KS. If I had the money, I would buy this one too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many folks are stretched thin with all the campaigns that hit this year, and with the holiday season upon us.

Second issue I see is the type of game. Conan = unique IP with fans, veey unique board game/dungeon crawl, etc. MBP = historical / religious setting, skirmish game. MBP is competing with many skirmish games, where as there are no other games that play like conan.

I personally love MBP, the minis, the art, the rules, and am all in like i was with conan!!

I also don't agree with the alleged conan issues. The minis are freaking amazing, the rules are easy to follow, and the game is easy to play. I've played 12 games already in three days. There are no game breaking missing rules.

In fact, conan tied black plague for the best game in my collection! Can't wait for MBP to tie those two for best game too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.