$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Menu Masters» Forums » Rules

Subject: Change from demos to retail in the incorporation of the supermarket? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
(Stuck in the rules section for lack of a better place).

I guess this is a question for someone affiliated with development of the game. My spouse and I tried Menu Masters at Origins (thank you for having a booth and doing demos). There were 4 of us, and I don't recall having the supermarket there. It was talked about but maybe at that time it was just for 5p games. One of the things that I really liked was that the game was sort of tight and I figured it would shine at 4 or 5p as a result. We missed the kickstarter so we ordered it and waited. Shows up today and I dig through the rulebook as a refresher and now it looks like the supermarket is used at 4p as well (so effectively everyone can own a store now). Was there some super bad feedback about the tightness of the game and item speculation? What changed or am I just not remembering it (or were we supposed to use it in the demo and goofed)?

Also, is it now 6p or is it just that you have the extra pawns/board for choice and 6p is unwieldily or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! Chris from Calliope here!

You're absolutely right about the Supermarket board being used in a 5-6 player game. That was its original intention. Somewhere along the line, it was listed in the rules for 4+ players, and it stuck. What I would recommend is this: if you are playing with newcomers to gaming or with kids, include it in 4+ player games. If you are playing with folks who can appreciate a tight game with meaningful choices, don't include the Supermarket until you get to 5+.

And speaking of 6 players, the game absolutely functions as a 6 player game. The reason we don't list it as such is that the 6 player experience can be daunting to the sixth player if they don't know the nuances of the game and overspend early. It's certainly not something that ruins the game, but it puts them behind the 8 ball. We don't want that to be anyone's first experience with the game, so we sort of made 6 player gameplay a bit hidden until players know the game.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.