Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engaging and attacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
....to Attack a Monster, must engage it first?.....I assume not

..... if I am engaged with a Monster, may I Attack another unengaged Monster?

....an engaged Monster follows the investigator during movement? Or an investigator is not allowed to leave a location before killing an engaged Monster?

..... may I engage more than 1 Monster?

.....may I Attack exhausted monsters?

THANKS for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kesavanss wrote:

No. If it is engaged with another player your damage amount hits the other player (ouch!)

Kesavanss wrote:
..... if I am engaged with a Monster, may I Attack another unengaged Monster?

Yes.

Kesavanss wrote:
....an engaged Monster follows the investigator during movement? Or an investigator is not allowed to leave a location before killing an engaged Monster?

If you move, the monster gets an attack when you move if it is engaged with you. But yes, you can move and it follows you.

Kesavanss wrote:
..... may I engage more than 1 Monster?

There is certainly nothing stopping you. Engagement is an action though.

Kesavanss wrote:
.....may I Attack exhausted monsters?

Yep, with a capital 'Y'. It's awesome to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
-- You can use a fight-type action on *any* enemy at your location.
----Some things to bear in mind: If the enemy is not in your threat area (and the only enemy there) a Machete will not get its +1 dmg.
---- If the enemy is in another investigator's threat area and you fail your fight action's skill check, you will deal all damage to the investigator instead of the enemy.

-- Yes, with no Attack of Opportunity.

-- You can move and you take Attacks of Opportunity before you change locations and any enemy stays in your threat area.

-- Yes, go nuts. No limit.

-- Definitely, and this would prevent any special 'attack' type abilities the enemy might have from triggering during the course of your fight attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Aman
Sweden
Hammenhog
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought engaging additional enemies would trigger attacks from your already engaged enemies, since it's not a fight/evade/parley/resign action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
-- You can use a fight-type action on *any* enemy at your location.

Just to clarify this: if the enemy is "aloof" you must engage him/her before you can fight them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
d4vr0s wrote:
I thought engaging additional enemies would trigger attacks from your already engaged enemies, since it's not a fight/evade/parley/resign action.

That is my interpretation too. You can engage that, but the ones already engaged with you will get opportunity attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Not if an Investigator takes a fight action, but I assumed the fight action was against the Monster.

What if an Investigator takes a fight action against another Monster M2...whilst still engaged with M1

Does M1 get an opportunity Attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
d4vr0s wrote:

DancingFool wrote:
Just to clarify this: if the enemy is "aloof" you must engage him/her before you can fight them.

As a big, big fan of giving a rule only to subsequently add a bunch of "only if.." and "but note.." type exceptions in parentheses, yes to both of these, and I apologise for my morning brain. Both important additional rules to be aware of.

edit:
Kesavanss wrote:
Not if an Investigator takes a fight action, but I assumed the fight action was against the Monster.

What if an Investigator takes a fight action against another Monster M2...whilst still engaged with M1

Does M1 get an opportunity Attack?

Fight is still fight in that situation, no Opportunity Attack.

With regard to your first sentence here, I confess I'm not 100% sure to which statement you're replying so I'm hesitant to comment on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thematically odd....if I am fighting M1 and take time off to punch M2, then M1 should have an Opportunity Attack against me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I think the narrative contrivance of the mechanic is just that of representing 'paying attention'. As long as you're indulging in the scrap, you're assumed to have your eyes on the enemies. Once you start pulling resources and items out of your knapsack, or glancing at a door as you head toward it, *smack*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Works for me, esp if you introduce "narrative contrivance" into the argument.

Cant win against that!

Thanks for everything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last points that may or may not be clear - Fighting does not cause you to become Engaged with that Enemy, if you're not already. Engaging with an Exhausted Enemy is allowed (still takes an Action and provokes Attacks of Opportunity from non-Exhausted Enemies), and doesn't affect Exhaustion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
Kesavanss wrote:

No. If it is engaged with another player your damage amount hits the other player (ouch!)

Only if you fail the fight test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.