Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an uptick in 'reported' hate crimes after the election, but most of them were just reported on Facebook and Twitter. It appears that some are being shown to be false.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/1...

Quote:
A student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette fabricated a story that she was attacked and had her hijab ripped off, police said Thursday.

In a press release Thursday afternoon, the Lafayette Police Department said that during the course of their investigation into the woman’s complaint, she “admitted that she fabricated the story about her physical attack as well as the removal of her hijab and wallet by two white males.

“This incident is no longer under investigation” by the department, the statement said.

http://www.snopes.com/trump-supporters-beat-gay-man-in-calif...

Quote:
Trump supporters shouted slurs at a gay man from Canada who was in a Santa Monica, CA bar Tuesday night watching Trump win the Presidential election, and upon leaving the bar, the man says, these supporters attacked him.

Calgary filmmaker Chris Ball said that he was watching the election results when supporters of the Republican candidate began to lob epithets. ‘We got a new president you fucking faggots,” they said, Ball told Metro Calgary.

When Ball left the bar alone later in the night, Trump supporters followed him to an alley way and assaulted him, Ball said. The last thing he remembers before awaking bloody on the pavement was having a beer bottle smashed over his head. Friends took him to the hospital.

Calgarian Chris Ball was left with five staples in his head from the hospital — but he said the bloody picture makes it look worse than it really was.

Ball spent the evening in a Santa Monica, Calif. bar watching poll results come in. As the election progressed, he said attitudes in the bar became more and more heated — on both sides of the campaign.

“People started launching homophobic slurs at me from afar,” he said. “I mean, I kind of got into it, but I didn’t want to provoke them.”

They were saying things like, ‘We got a new president you f--king faggots.’

When he later left the bar, alone, he was walking through an alley when he was jumped by a group of men — one of which smashed a bottle over his head ... He fell back, his head smashing against the concrete, where he blacked out.

“When I came to, I remember waking up and wiping the blood from my eyes. I called some friends, they picked me up and I went right to the hospital,” he recalled ... In retrospect, Ball doesn’t think it was really a political issue — it was a hate issue, fuelled by the charged atmosphere of the election night, with a group of drunk people who used Trump’s rhetoric as an excuse to get in a fight.
--------------------
On 10 November 2016, the Santa Monica Police Department published a post to their Facebook page casting further doubt on Ball's story:

SANTA MONICA POLICE DEPARTMENT ADVISORY:

You may have seen an unconfirmed story regarding a possible hate crime incident involving a “Chris Ball” alleging he was assaulted in Santa Monica on election night, November 8, by “Trump Supporters”.

The Santa Monica Police Department and the City of Santa Monica have not received any information indicating this crime occurred in the City of Santa Monica. We encourage the alleged victim to come forward and work with us if a crime did in fact take place. A check of local hospitals revealed there was no victim of any such incident admitted or treated as well.

If you have any questions, please contact Public Information Officer, Lt. Saul Rodriguez, (310) 458-2293.

None of the reports we found about Chris Ball's altercation with purported Trump supporters mentioned a location, cited a police report, or any provided information substantiating his attackers' motives.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/11/10/students-use-blackface-to-c...

Quote:
On 10 November 2016, activist Shaun King sent out a series of tweets purportedly documenting incidents of racism related to Donald Trump's presidential victory. One of them purportedly showed two college students celebrating the Republican's election by wearing what appears to be blackface in front of a Confederate flag:

black face

While the photograph displayed here is real, Miranda Fair, the woman in the image, said that it was not intended as an overt display of racism

The Daily Egyptian, which is the college newspaper for Southern Illinois University, confirmed that Fair was indeed a student at the college, but Fair maintains that she wasn't wearing black face in this photograph. She gave some context to the image in a Facebook group for the SIU Class of 2019:

Firstly, I want to publicaly and sincerely apologize if this has offendeded anyone. I would like to explain that the picture has myself in it, but that it is completely out of context. The confederate flag in the background is defaced (ripped in half) becasue I do not support it. The balck on my face is a boscia face mask. I do not hate any group of people. #blacklivesmatter.

Some Boscia brand face masks do resemble the ones shown in the photograph, as can be seen in the following video:

It also appears that the Confederate flag is ripped in half, as Fair claimed.
Southern Illinois University did not comment on this specific incident, but they did release a statement about offensive images being shared on social media in the wake of Trump's election:

This week’s presidential election was extremely divisive and emotions are running high. A number of people have contacted my office regarding offensive behavior and comments, including social media posts. While federal law prohibits us from discussing issues related to specific students, please know that we deeply share your concerns. We are reviewing every incident and will take appropriate action.

I urge every member of our community to help create a respectful, safe and welcoming environment. We expect students to abide by the Saluki Creed: "As a Saluki, I pledge to forward ideas and ideals. I will discourage bigotry and celebrate diversity by striving to learn from differences in people’s ideas, and opinions. I will embrace the ideals of freedom of civilized expression, intellectual inquiry, and respect for others."We value individuals, diversity and inclusion. Anything less diminishes all of us. Free speech is an important right and value that we should use wisely and respectfully.

As has been said many times since the outcome was clear, one of the underpinnings of our democracy is free elections and the peaceful transition of power. Discussions about the future of our country are important, and I ask you to do so in a civil manner that respects everyone’s right to agree or to disagree. There is no place for intolerance on our campus.

There is also no evidence that this photograph was connected to the 2016 presidential election in any way other than its timing.

and

Quote:

Two more tales of race-based and Trump-inspired harassment have begun to unravel...

In one of the widely-shared stories, a black woman claimed that four white men had threatened her while she was pumping gas at a Smyrna, Delaware, gas station Wednesday. After talking about things would change now that Trump was president, one of the men allegedly approached her and asked, "How scared are you, black bitch?" before saying "I should kill you right now. You're a waste of air." Another of the men allegedly flashed a gun and said, "You're lucky there's witnesses or else I'd shoot you right here."

The woman, Ashley Boyer, posted about this awful incident on Facebook in an update that was since deleted; on Thursday, she followed up by noting that "charges were filed, fugitives were caught." But when PhillyVoice contacted Smyrna police Thursday, the department said no report about such an incident had been filed and no one had contacted them about anything similar. So PhillyVoice reached out to Delaware State Police... who reported that no neighboring police agencies had received any such reports either, and there was no record of any local 911 calls about such an incident. "There is no record of this occurring in Smyrna, if at all," said Corporal Brian Donner of the Delaware State Police.

The second alleged incident, out of Minnesota, involved an Asian college student named Kathy Mirah Tu who said she was accosted by a white man while crossing a bridge on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus. "I was stop in my tracked by a white male, who yelled at me to 'Go back to Asia,'" Tu posted to Facebook, in an update that had received more than 17,000 shares as of Thursday evening. "I pretended to not hear any thing and continue on walking since I didn't want to create conflict. Shortly after that moment, I was stopped by that same man who told me 'Don't you know it's disrespectful to walk away from someone when they are talking to you?" After that, the man grabbed Tu's wrist and threatened to hit her so she punched him, according to her post. "His friends who were watching the entire situation go down saw that I was going to the win fight and came over to his rescue and accused me of assaulting him and called the police."

According to Tu, the police arrived and handcuffed her but eventually let her off with a warning. Yet neither the campus police nor the Minneapolis Police Department have any record of the incident Tu describes. "We heard complaint from student related 2 Wash bridge yestdy, UMPD didnt respond to bridge or make an arrest," the University of Minnesota Police Department tweeted Thursday, also asking Tu or anyone who did know about the alleged incident to come forward. Here was the response from the city police:

Many people have contacted us about a social media posting about an incident with a female on the Washington Avenue Bridge yesterday. At this time we have not been able to find a record of a police call relating to this incident. If anyone has information please contact us, we would like to talk to the person who posted this on social media.

Once again, I'm not saying that every reported incident is faked, but before posting and reposting such things, be sure that it actually occurred and wasn't faked (or at the very least, post a followup when you find out it's fake).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
okiedokie wrote:
before posting and reposting such things, be sure that it actually occurred and wasn't faked (or at the very least, post a followup when you find out it's fake)

not sure if you noticed but you are in rsp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye. After getting burned a couple times, I've been waiting for a round of validation on stories. By the time they are validated, they've already been posted here. So at least it saves my wrists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pew wrote:
Anti-Muslim assaults reach 9/11-era levels, FBI data show

Although that is referring to 2015, not recent develoments:

With regard to all hate crimes aginst Muslims, they were up 67% compared to the previous year; there was also an increase in anti-Jewish incidents. (Summary).

Probably won't know for some time what the 2016 figures are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
So what? Muslims are still more likely to be struck by lightning than be the victim of a hate crime.
So what? Not the point, since they are just as likely to be struck by lightning as anyone else, it's a non point in context. You have to show that non-muslims have an equal or greater chance of being victims of hate crimes. I don't know if you know this, but hate crimes are conscious decisions by criminals. Lightning is not. Which means one can be prevented (or reduced by pressuring the criminals) and the other only by hiding from lightning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
It hardly happens, so it isn't worth worrying about (racial hate crimes are about 10 times more prevalent). Even when compared to other religions, it is tiny.

We need to start an awareness campaign to lower the traffic related deaths caused by transwomen yelling at kardashians on the phone.
But the point is, if there is a doubling in hate crimes, even if it is a low percentage of all hate crimes, shouldn't there be some concern as to why? Are you suggesting that we should ignore growing hate against a religious minority until there is enough of it to compete with racial hate crime? I don't think anyone should suggest that we divert resources from preventing ALL hate crimes to just protect Muslims, but it is an important statistic to show the direction of hate at any point in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
TLDR: It seems likely that African American, Jewish and Homosexual people have more to complain about.
Which is why many, if not most, liberals support addressing their grievances. What is your threshold for acknowledging hate crimes? Rate of increase isn't important, just number when compared to those more tragically impacted?

If I have a higher chance of being bitten by a shark than being shot by a mugger, should I not have a CCW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
No, no cause for concern when your data is shit. You can't ignore a problem if there isn't one.
Now that is a valid issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaSokpupet wrote:
No, no cause for concern when your data is shit. You can't ignore a problem if there isn't one.

Good article, but it actually seems to undermine your own "chances of being struck by lightning" argument:

Quote:
Over the past two decades, the FBI reported between 6,000 and 10,000 hate crimes each year in the US. But when the US Bureau of Justice Statistics surveyed a large segment of the population between 2007 and 2011 to try to gauge what the real number of hate crimes is, it concluded that there are nearly 260,000 — more than a quarter of a million — annually. This means that the FBI is potentially undercounting hate crimes by a magnitude of more than 40 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
hyperbolus wrote:
TLDR: It seems likely that African American, Jewish and Homosexual people have more to complain about.
Which is why many, if not most, liberals support addressing their grievances. What is your threshold for acknowledging hate crimes? Rate of increase isn't important, just number when compared to those more tragically impacted?

If I have a higher chance of being bitten by a shark than being shot by a mugger, should I not have a CCW?

There are many things to consider here.

When you double or triple a really small number to begin with does it mean anything?

What is considered assault? I guess throwing snowballs at people would fit that definition. If someone went on a snowball throwing spree and one of their targets was a Muslims would that be a hate crime? If your politics lean a certain way then yes hate crime. And that would add to the pile to support their view of the world.

One can easily categorize events to fit their political views. and often people will distort the truth to fit their own narrative.

People compiling or presenting statistics will and can skew the results to fit their political views.

The "media" has a narrative. So they will present information that fits their narrative. Anti-trump protesters being violent or trump supporters being attacked may not fit their narrative. But some dipshit high school kid handing out "deportation letters" may get more coverage.

Sometimes the media does not even have political bias affect their reporting sometimes they love to dogpile on a narrative to get eyeballs. I remember the summer that shark attacks were reported in the news constantly. Were sharks extra feisty that year for some reason? Or was the news taking every report confirmed or not and over reporting so the impression was that sharks were going crazy?

This is just a few of the many things to consider when presented with statistics or reading news stories with stats presented.

Trying to equate getting hit with a snowball to what's actually happening in this country is pretty damn stupid even for you. Must be nice to be able to dismiss the atmosphere of hate when it happens to somebody you don't approve of. Mindless bigotry seems to be such a comfort to you. Provide so many answers without you having to think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I gotta agree with the Sokpuppet. Hell, the Klan used to lynch a couple of hundreds nigras a year, not to mention the non-Klan folks who did it for kicks. We don't see that hardly at all anymore, so there is no racism or hate crimes.

I am hoping you didn't need me to color that green to understand the sarcasm in my statement. After all, there are roughly 10K-12K murders a year, which means in a nation of 330 million, your chances of being murdered every year are pretty goddamn small. So why even do anything about murders, right?

Too bad there's nothing inside the Sock Puppet except a sweaty, semen-crusted hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
After all, there are roughly 10K-12K murders a year, which means in a nation of 330 million, your chances of being murdered every year are pretty goddamn small.

Don't forget about how low your odds of actually being killed by a terrorist in the states are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
surprise Your 'chances' of being "KILLED by distracted driver/driverless" = 100%! caravan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.