GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,992 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves: FFG vs Dragon vs Ultra Pro questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the FFG sleeves and the extra length bothers me a bit. I was thinking of sticking with my tried and true Ultra pro clears, but I've heard a lot about Dragon Shields. I would want the clear, not the opaque back. Anyone use them? Are they longer, like the FFGs or a tighter fit like the Ultra Pros?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if they fit this game, but I've had very good luck with KMC Perfect Fit sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that you're looking for them but I've had a lot of good comments on the sleeves I use. They are expensive but, well, comments and compliments cause they are pretty damn good.

KMC Hyper Mat Clear

They have a textured back which handles shuffling very well, a clear front that is nice and smooth.

EDIT: I do usually use KMC Perfect Fit, they are awesome. I just wanted to give this lovely game a bit more treatment lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are those the ones with the Japanese writing on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, well, the package does have japanese writing on it.

KMC Hyper Mat

and

KMC Perfect Fit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Is there a noticeable gap at the top of your cards, when sleeved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not with either of them. The FFG sleeves are too tall

Mat Clear on top, Perfect Size on bottom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Dragon Shield Clear but I don't use them to sleeve whole decks, only for single cards (like character/hero cards), so take this with a grain of salt.

The Clear Dragon Shield are very surdy. They do fit much better than FFG's but sometimes they have kind of rough edges which could give an odd shuffle feel. I actually read about the same problem somewhere else.
The opaque ones are great though and don't suffer from this at all.

I would highly suggest getting one pack to try out first before buying a couple of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use KMC Perfect Fit for the encounter cards

and I use Dragon Shield Matte Clear for player cards, they are glossy front and matte clear back(they show off the card back design nice, but are blurry enough to hide minor imperfections)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLQLXCY/?tag=article-bo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Shield and UltraPro are very similar in size. Both fit great.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keven Ebner
United States
Spencerport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too use the KMC clear sleeves for this game. They are my go-to sleeve brand for everything. You will not be disappointed! The perfect fits are nice for the cards that you are not shuffling, like the character cards and a few others. Or for double sleeving. A great combo! It's been awhile since I used the dragon shields and Ultra Pro's.... Great pics posted by Happycatmachine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a combination of KMC PerfectSize and UltraPro ProMatte Clear on my AH:TCG cards, and the fit is really nice.

If I could afford either Dragon Shield Matte or KMC HyperMatte, then I would likely go with one of those instead of UltraPro, but there is a significant price difference there, particularly when sleeving a lot of cards.

Also, the AH:TCG cards are slightly narrower than most 'mtg' size cards so this is one game where I would consider trying UltraPro ProFit instead of KMC PerfectSize, because, again, there is a significant cost difference there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday Premium fit nice and snug too, nothing extra hanging over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm sleeving player and encounter cards in Dragon Shield Clear Mattes and the Scenario cards in Dragon Shield Clears.

Dragon shields are the best out there - but also most expensive. I pick them up from Chaos Cards for £6.70 for 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy my sleeves in bulk from potomac. They seem to have the best prices for bulk ordering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Are these the sleeves with green packaging label (63.5x88)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
I got a set of the Ultra Pros with the clear gloss on one side and the clear matte on the other.

I got the clear matte Dragon Shields. Very nice texture for the back of the cards.

Both fit excellent.

The holographic crap on the back of the Ultra Pros could not be tolerated in the face of the beautiful artwork on the back.

So I bought more Dragon Shields and that's the end of that.

Also, I'm only sleeving player related cards to save a buck and space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Are these the sleeves with green packaging label (63.5x88)?

Yeah, the ones with 50 in a pack. The ones with 100 in a pack are penny sleeves, but they're the same colour (and don't have Premium on them if I recall). I bought the penny sleeves once by accident. Shoved 'em on Sentinels of the Multiverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the KMC Perfect Fit sleeves and I don't recommend for these. I found that they were too loose in the sides (so when handling the sleeve flexes and can drop cards). Also they are right up to the top edge of the cards, making marking the tops of the cards possible during shuffling and handling. Also when they are up to the edge like that you can still get food and liquids on the cards.

If those issues don't bother you, then they should work. Both of those things are a no-go for me unless it is a game I don't care about protecting as much.

Edit: Note that I usually prefer to use KMC Perfect Fits for everything so I was kinda bummed that they didn't work as well as I would like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.