Subject: Monster smash-up Idea!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Sua
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello G-Havenites,

I just had an idea that might be fun in the random dungeons or for "future" Gloomhaven content. If you have two enemy types in a room I thought about mixing their action decks together. Still drawing one card per monster type but you would not know exactly who is going to be attacking. Sometimes monster type "A" would get two turns sometimes monster type "B". This in addition to what types of attacks they will be preforming would leave your poor character with their head on a swivel. Not for every encounter but maybe it could be implemented in certain situations.

A strange mist filled room with shadowy figure dashing about. You charge to attack a creature on the left and are swarmed from the right

What do you think?

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
This look like an interesting variant. Definitely worth trying.

The only problem I see is when one of the monster groups becomes eliminated. You need to re-sort the monster decks. With let us say four monster groups on board it can be tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would work.

The monster decks are a lot more than just a combination of moves and attacks. Often they contain special stuff relating to their type.

Otherwise, you would end up with Wind Demons summoning living bones, which makes no sense.

One of the very many cool things about this game is the way that these monster decks work, and some of them are more powerful than others. Cultists for example are weak on paper, but their ability cards make them a lot tougher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you do not understand what he is suggesting. You mix two (or more) monster decks and draw one card per monster group. The result is one monster may move several times while the other groups may not act at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
oh ok.

Re-read again. Of course you can try it, but I really dont think it would work, and it would screw up the core game mechanics. Once people have the game and see what these monster decks are like, maybe then it will be clear. The cards already provide unpredictability in a big way. Sometimes the monsters will move, sometimes they will attack, sometimes they will guard, sometimes they will do something special - depends on the monster.

Having one group of monsters activate twice in a round just wouldn't really work - would cause big problems in the scenario methinks having played it a few times now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Sua
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Paul: LUCKY! I wish I had the only other copy of Gloomhaven known to man at this time. How far have you made it into the Campaign? Retire any characters yet?

I'm not suggesting to interfere with any of the well thought out and tested scenarios. I was thinking of it being a variant to add to a "Randomly Generated" dungeon.

@David: Yeah once one of the monster types were dead I suppose you would have to draw and ignore the dead ones. To keep it fair you would have do draw until you have a number of activations equal to the remaining monster types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.