Edmund Sun
msg tools
When I came across this

Acquiring Cards
Some card abilities will give you Gold. When you gain Gold, it goes
into a Gold Pool which you may add to and spend from over the
course of your Main Phase.

Gold is used to acquire cards from the Market or from the
Fire Gem pile. A card’s cost is found in its upper-right-hand corner.
To acquire a card, subtract Gold from your Gold Pool equal to the
card’s cost and put the card into your discard pile.
Then, fill the
empty space in the Market with the top card of the Market Deck.

So after using Gold to purchase the card from the market place, it will go into my discard pile instead of my hand? Is this even correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Dageroth
Germany
Steinhagen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is. That's how Deck Building Games work. You don't get to use the newly purchased cards right away but only when you have to shuffle your discard pile to form a new draw deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Cards you acquire always go into your discard pile unless an effect says otherwise.

Said effect would be either on the card you have just bought, or on a card that lets you acquire a card. (such as: put the next card you acquire on top of your deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlebanshee wrote:
Yes it is. That's how Deck Building Games work. You don't get to use the newly purchased cards right away but only when you have to shuffle your discard pile to form a new draw deck.

There _are_ exceptions like Dale of Merchants, though, but in general, that statement is correct for the most popular Deck Building games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Sun
msg tools
Alright!

So sorry for the noob question there. First timer in deck building games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmb
StaGeD89 wrote:
Alright!

Welcome, and no problem, these rules are not written as well as they could, and a lot of question arise because of that so don't feel bad about asking.

Hope you enjoy the world of deckbuilding games! If you find this one too fast, don't be turned out because of it. Hero Realms is one of the fastest deckbuilders out there. You usually have more time to build your deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StaGeD89 wrote:
Alright!

Edmund,
As members on the BGG, we understand your frustration and we only want to help. Always come to the forums and you will see good and helpful tips and answers to your questions.

Remember, "Have fun Gaming!"

-Jae

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've all been noob once. Don't be ashamed to ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
While teaching my cousin Dominion, we had to keep reminding him to put his newly purchased cards into the Discard pile. He eventually started referring to the discard pile as "next week," because he couldn't use the cards until next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwager
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
You're lucky. I've played a couple of deck building games and this one has some of the best mechanics. Easy play, once you get the hang of it, and loads of fun with the cool combinations you can build into.

Star realms is the same way. You can download it for the phone or tablet and get a real feel for the way the game works without spending time in setup. Though the phone is a little small for it.

I am generally more of a magic person than space warfare but really have grown find of star realms. Now with hero realms my life is complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Sun
msg tools
I would have to say that this game was relatively easy to learn. Got the hang of it in 1 day. Just have one burning question, for Necros Faction, I saw that there are alot of text such as "You may sacrifice 1 card from your hand or discard pile" with a 3 combat on top. Does that means that I must sacrifice 1 card in order to add 3 combat into my combat pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StaGeD89 wrote:
I would have to say that this game was relatively easy to learn. Got the hang of it in 1 day. Just have one burning question, for Necros Faction, I saw that there are alot of text such as "You may sacrifice 1 card from your hand or discard pile" with a 3 combat on top. Does that means that I must sacrifice 1 card in order to add 3 combat into my combat pool?

You may (optionally) sacrifice 1 card to gain 3 combat. If it was a card from your hand, you cannot play it before you sacrifice it. You have to decide if you want the benefit that the card grants, or you would rather sacrifice it. If the card you sacrifice is in the discard pile from a previous turn, then even better.

If you do not sacrifice a card, you do not gain 3 combat.

Edit: I fail at words - if 3 is on top, you get it no matter what. Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
StaGeD89 wrote:

You may (optionally) sacrifice 1 card to gain 3 combat. If it was a card from your hand, you cannot play it before you sacrifice it. You have to decide if you want the benefit that the card grants, or you would rather sacrifice it. If the card you sacrifice is in the discard pile from a previous turn, then even better.

Actually, if the three is on top, and the sacrifice ability is underneath it, you gain 3 combat regardless of whether you sacrificed a card or not, and then have the possibility to sacrifice a card, but do not gain anything from doing so (except a thinner deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Sun
msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
logris wrote:
StaGeD89 wrote:

Actually, if the three is on top, and the sacrifice ability is underneath it, you gain 3 combat regardless of whether you sacrificed a card or not, and then have the possibility to sacrifice a card, but do not gain anything from doing so (except a thinner deck).

If I remember correctly, almost every of the cards are with the combat/gold number on the top with the sentence below. Anyone else can provide further insights on this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
StaGeD89 wrote:
If I remember correctly, almost every of the cards are with the combat/gold number on the top with the sentence below. Anyone else can provide further insights on this issue?

The only time you wouldn't gain the combat or gold is if the card said "You may sacrifice a card from your hand or discard pile. If you do, gain X".

Otherwise, like with the Machine Cult faction in Star Realms, you add the value to your pool, and then have the ability to scrap a card.
You always resolve cards in the order their abilities are printed.

So in this here case :

Add 3 combat to your pool.
THEN
You may sacrifice a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.