Subject: Which is better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Smidt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
: Ok. Now I'm gonna ask all my fellow geeks a question. Of the following 2, which is better.... GO....OR SHOGI... Why? As a GO player myself Iv'e always been pretty curious if there is some kind of rivalry! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shogi is better for me because i understand how to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogi is better to me. Why? Personally,

d10-1 I find Go rather dry
d10-2 Shogi has different pieces to add some variety to play
d10-3 There are a ton of different forms of Shogi if I ever get tired of the original (at least the original game that I learned) form of the game
d10-4 The game is less prone (again, in my experience) to analysis paralysis.

This is not to say that Go is a bad game, it just is not as enjoyable for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Smidt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah David. Thats great! I love to hear peoples opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say that Go is cool, but Shogi is hot!

Go is cool and intellectual; serene and beautiful.

Shogi is fierce and interesting in the variety of it's units. Especially if you play some of the variants, like Chu Shogi (my personal favorite). How can you not like a game with pieces with names like "Drunk Elephant," or "Blind Tiger?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Jackson
Australia
flag msg tools
My comments are here - http://www.geocities.com/rod_raza_2003/Shogi_vs_Go.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Osmont
France
flag msg tools
Should we choose between Go and Shogi? It is actually difficult for me to say that one is better than the other one.
I prefer Shogi because I have the feeling to be more active in the way I move the pieces than in Go where I put the stones to keep spaces.
But I would not say Shogi is better than Go. That's too restrictive. And these games differ so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is George Carlin when we need him?

In Shogi, you plan an attack that breaks down the opposing wall of footsoldiers with rapier-like thrusts. In Go, you try to have liberties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Maerz
msg tools
mbmb
This thread (with only a few posts) is about a half year old. Is there still interest in it?

It's an interesting topic and I can tell a lot about it.
------------------------------------------------------------

At first I would increase the list of games and add chess and xiangqi to speak about four great games.
Nevertheless it's a little bit unpractically, because shogi, chess and xiangqi are similar games, while go is completely different.

For me, ALL this games are great.
I started playing chess for a long time as child. Later I played go, stopped playing chess. But mystericaly after having a break of about one year in playing go, when starting playing go again, I also felt interest in chess. Finaly I start playing shogi and stopped playing go.

So, at the momement I like shogi most and go least.
Also I would like to play xiangqi, but there is not enough time. Even I wish to have more time to play shogi more often.
Furthermore, chess seems a little bit interesting for me again. Probably I would like xiangqi more, but in xiangqi I would need much time for a start, while in chess I have a lot of knowledge I should be able to reactivate and so can play it with less time.

But for all this games (and all others) I like to say the following: there is NO best game. Someone prefere this game, otherone prefere the other game.
So the better question would be, which game is more POPULAR.

Most go players claim go is the better game, because the higher amount of lines. (Rod Jackson speaks detailed about it )
But for me, the amount of lines is absolutely NOT important, whether a game is good or not.
In my eyes, a good game must be "human-like", that means it must be possible to calculate. (Ohhh, difficulty to explain )
So I didn't like that shogi-variant with a very big board.
Also there are games with a very small amount of lines, like for example the game laska which I like. Hmmm, but still it's true, that I played laska often in an earlier period of my life, but then stopped playing it.

But nevertheless it's abolutely true: the amount of lines is not important to have a great (the best) game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.