$20.00
$5.00
itai raccah
Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv (Gosh Dan)
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the idea of the mechanic, but I feel that the timing is off. When you go insane it is usually too late in the game to start figuring out a new objective.

So I came up with a couple of alternatives, something more akin to the wounded condition.

Option 1:
Any time you perform an action other than movement, test willpower. If you fail, you may not perform that action this turn, you may chose another action.
Pros: Thematic, can be mitigated, affects low willpower investigators more than high willpower. Can result in just a one move turn if wounded.
Cons: A lot of dice rolling.

Option 2:
You may not perform the same action twice in the same turn.
Pros: No dice rolling. Already exists as an insane condition, so we know it's fairly balanced.
cons: Doesn't do anything if you're wounded. Less thematic.

opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about this. Deal an insane card for each character during setup. Each player can look at the card in secret. This allows the player to choose actions that leave options open in the case they become insane later in the game. Thematically this can be viewed as the character have a predisposition towards a certain disorder. This also has the benefit of making the players actions a bit less predictable and less welcoming to alpha gamers telling other players what to do.
On the flip side, this may not work well for players controlling multiple characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
itai raccah
Israel
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv (Gosh Dan)
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's actually a very neat idea. I'll give it a go.

And most insanity cards don't really work for controlling multiple characters anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eery Petrol
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I csme into this thread with the opinion that the insanity mechanic does not need change, but I like this mechanic to the point where I want to try it. I really like the thematic consistency and think it adds depth to the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about "Must perform the same action each round" - This makes being wounded and insane a true penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to this section of the forums to suggest Option 2, though what I had in mind took the existing insanity and tweaked it a little bit;

"You may not perform any non-move action more than once each round."

Essentially, it's the inverse of Wounded. The only action you can take twice in a round is Move (currently, the insanity overlaps Wounded, which seems odd).

It's not a massive penalty under normal circumstances, but towards the end of the game where everyone stays stationary and repeatedly attacks or does checks/puzzles, it can become painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Gatewood
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's what we do once a player becomes Insane (I call it the "F" system):
At the start of the player's turn, a d6 is rolled applying the result:

1: Fight. The player must use one action to attack either a monster or another player (hallucinating). Attacking another player is an opposed roll (no spells) similar to the Steal action. Strength is used if in the same space. Agility is used for a ranged attack. The victim takes one facedown damage per success over the victim's.
2. Flee. The player must use one action to move away from the party, objective, etc.
3. Freeze. The player loses one action
4. Fire (pyromania). The player must use one action to light a fire or steal a light source from another player and then light a fire if they don't possess one.
5. Forget. The player loses one clue token
6. No effect.

Thematically, we were trying to create unpredictable behavior in the insane character. We just didn't care for the Insane rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grif Grif
msg tools
Poet wrote:
I like the idea of the mechanic, but I feel that the timing is off. When you go insane it is usually too late in the game to start figuring out a new objective.

So I came up with a couple of alternatives, something more akin to the wounded condition.

Option 1:
Any time you perform an action other than movement, test willpower. If you fail, you may not perform that action this turn, you may chose another action.
Pros: Thematic, can be mitigated, affects low willpower investigators more than high willpower. Can result in just a one move turn if wounded.
Cons: A lot of dice rolling.

Option 2:
You may not perform the same action twice in the same turn.
Pros: No dice rolling. Already exists as an insane condition, so we know it's fairly balanced.
cons: Doesn't do anything if you're wounded. Less thematic.

opinions?

I actually like option 2 as that insane card already exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arinmir Belegar
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I think the best, light, balanced, ambiented adjustment is to put the insane status face up. Every player can see his intentions.
He is mad, not a conspirator. If he wants to burn the house he will be laughting "burn them all!burn them all!". If he has to use a knife with an alone investigator, he will look other investigators with strange smile and whispering, "my master told me someone must die...".
The not insane investigators should be aware of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.