2 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Finished Painted Miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I decided it would be a fun project to paint some of the miniatures from War of the Ring. We had several goals as we started:

1. Fun - We were focused more on having a fun project to do together than doing a perfect job or making professional figures.

2. Cheap - I already spent quite a bit of money on War of the Ring and two expansions. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on painting the figures. Totally we spent about $15-$20 for primer, paint, brushes, and supplies.

3. Maximizing effect for minimal time - The idea of spending hundreds of hours painting every individual detail on every figure didn't appeal to me. That would be hundreds of hours not playing the game. Also, I know that I would not have the patience (not to mention the time) for such a project. We therefore chose to focus on painting special characters such as companions, minions, some elites, and some of the cooler figures like Ents, Eagles, and Spiders. Since time was a mitigating factor, our strategy was to paint more characters pretty well than fewer characters perfectly. Now that I have played a game or two with finished characters, I believe that strategy was the correct one. I don't notice small imperfections during the game. But the added color and personality of the figures makes the game more interesting and vibrant.

What I learned:

1. Color mixing - Because of our budget we only bought three primary colors, plus black, white, brown, gold, and metallic. We had do a lot of color mixing, which was interesting.

2. Became a better painter - I think the figures we did closer to the end were better than at the beginning. We learned more methods and became more skillful.

3. I am not an artist, but I can fill in the lines - Painting figures doesn't really require much creativity or artistic skill so much as an ability to stay in the lines. Our brushes were not fine enough so we didn't always manage this.

Here are the pictures of the finished figures. Some of the ideas for some of the figures we got from pictures in the database, so thanks to everyone who has come before us and gave us good models to follow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lane
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.