4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monsters activation + Example rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto
Italy
flag msg tools
Hello, my question regards the monsters activation. I've already sent a message to Sadgit and he was so kind to reply in few hours. For this reason I post here my question and his answer, hoping that someone else could add more informations about it.

Q:When the Overlord activates a group of monsters, does he activate every single monster automatically at the same time? Or must he activate every single monster of the group after the group's activation?
For example, when Ashrian ends her turn adjacent to various monsters of a same group and one of them is a master monster, can the Overlord activate that monsters group and then the master monster of that group, trying to defeat Ashrian, so that the other monsters are not stunned for the Hero's passive ability?
Has been released an official answer to my question? I was not able to find it in the official FAQ. I have tried also to search this question in the forum but i was not successfull.

Reply from Sadgit:
Monsters are activated in groups, all monsters of a given type must be activated before a member of another monster group may be activated. This is sometimes referred to as “activating a monster group”, although each monster in a given group is activated individually.
Thus, the overlord is allowed to activate the master monster first if he/she choose to. If he/she manages to defeat Ashrian with the master monster, her hero figure is replaced by her hero token and her hero ability would be inactive. Any minion monsters of that group would not be stunned at the start of their activation.
As far as I know, this question has not explicitly been answered by FFG in the past. However, the ruling on the bard's skill dissonance here, explains the general principle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeri Rotthier
Belgium
Hemiksem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends on what the card (in this case Ashrian's hero ability) says.
Ashrian's hero ability states: When a minion monster begins it's activation adjacent to you, it is stunned.

This implies the activation of the minion monster and will trigger at activation of each minion monster seperatly.

Other abilities (don't know by heart) will state "When a group of monsters activates". This would imply that that effect is applied to all targets at the time of the group activation.

There's 2 different timings there. Group or monster.

So in the example's case, you can use your master spider and even non adjacent spiders first to try and take out or move Ashrian, before activating the adjacent minion spiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
For clarification, there is no "Activate a monster group" rule. The rule simply states that you must activate all monsters in one group before you can activate any in another group. Every "Activate" is done with a single figure. Any effects that would refer to a group of monsters activating means the monsters in one group that are (individually) activating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not STRICTLY true. If you look at the champion skill "no mercy," or the marshal skill "just reward," for example, they refer to a "monster group's activation". It is true that really all a "group activation" consists of is the consecutive activation of the individuals in that group. The individual is not "activated" when the group activates. It's an unfortunate double use of the same term, but it generally doesn't cause problems.

Zombie group activation: The time during which any zombie is activated.

Master zombie activation: The time the master zombie specifically performs actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.