Salvo!» Forums » General

Subject: Childhood excitement! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stoakes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how excited I am to have come across this.

As a kid I was hugely into naval combat, especially WW1 and dreadnoughts. I had all of the books I could find on the subject of naval wargaming and an extensive fleet of metal Triang waterline models. It even got me into my secondary school (in the interview the headmaster asked me, an 11-year old kid, what I was into. When I said naval wargaming I was in).

I read about how between the wars in New York they'd hold massive naval wargaming meets in ballrooms with fleets spread across the floor, using torches to 'shoot' in the dark. I devised my own system (of requiring greater accuracy at greater range when estimating distance) to simulate the parabolic flight of shells. Sadly all in the past. I don't have the models or the space any more.

Then I was alerted to a post in the solitaire guild about games people play when their brains are tired and Salvo! was mentioned.

TL; DR. I got to the Minden Games website and - this is what I wanted to say - you can order games with just $3.50 international postage, and they have small footprints and cardboard counters, like, say, The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 so you don't need space or miniatures; you don't even need a board. I've ordered the Great War versions.

Fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitsto wrote:
I can't tell you how excited I am to have come across this.

As a kid I was hugely into naval combat, especially WW1 and dreadnoughts. I had all of the books I could find on the subject of naval wargaming and an extensive fleet of metal Triang waterline models. It even got me into my secondary school (in the interview the headmaster asked me, an 11-year old kid, what I was into. When I said naval wargaming I was in).

I read about how between the wars in New York they'd hold massive naval wargaming meets in ballrooms with fleets spread across the floor, using torches to 'shoot' in the dark. I devised my own system (of requiring greater accuracy at greater range when estimating distance) to simulate the parabolic flight of shells. Sadly all in the past. I don't have the models or the space any more.

Then I was alerted to a post in the solitaire guild about games people play when their brains are tired and Salvo! was mentioned.

TL; DR. I got to the Minden Games website and - this is what I wanted to say - you can order games with just $3.50 international postage, and they have small footprints and cardboard counters, like, say, The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 so you don't need space or miniatures; you don't even need a board. I've ordered the Great War versions.

Fantastic!

I hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stoakes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Rev!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.