Subject: Tinkering with Investigators rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been messing around with Investigators that I often see called weak in an effort to bolster them.

Lola Hayes -
Action: Spend any number of Improvement tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (a "+2" token counts as 2 tokens).

Change-
Action: Spend any number of Improvement and/or Impairment tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (a "+2" token counts as 2 tokens).

At first glance, it might seem very OP to just straight up make a character immune to Impairments, but during the course of play, it doesn't seem to make her unbalanced.

Mark Harrigan -
Starting Item: Kerosene

Change-
Starting Item: Flamethrower

Mark desperately needs his low influence offset by something, and giving him the best weapon in the game is where I'm starting at. I haven't tested this yet, but I am eager to see how this changes the character.

Feel free to share your own Investigator tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variants subforum is the correct place to discuss such tinkering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
Lola Hayes -
Action: Spend any number of Improvement tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (a "+2" token counts as 2 tokens).

Change-
Action: Spend any number of Improvement and/or Impairment tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (a "+2" token counts as 2 tokens).

At first glance, it might seem very OP to just straight up make a character immune to Impairments, but during the course of play, it doesn't seem to make her unbalanced.
Feel free to share your own Investigator tweaks.

If I understand the change correctly, Lola will not just be immune to impairments but will benefit from them as the -1 tokens can be converted to +1's. This will either be potentially very powerful (for those with expansions with impairments) or will have no effect at all (for those who do not have expansions with impairments). The other issue is that in thematic terms its hard to justify why she is able to convert impairments to improvements by adopting a new role.

As Lola is part of the base game, I boosted her up by adding a Focus bonus with fits her ability to focus on playing a role.

Change-
Action: Spend any number of Improvement Impairment tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (a "+2" token counts as 2 tokens) and gain 1 Focus token.

This change does rely on people playing with Focus tokens but (unlike impairments) this is an addition most players (even with the basic game) can add easily.

I, like you, also dislike the impairment effects and so replaced some of the cards that include this effect with different but equally nasty effects.

With Mark I just removed him from my game. With the expansions there are now a lot of investigators to choose from and - as it's my game - I've just removed the ones I don't like.

But these are just my personal preferences and I appreciate that many players like the game just as it is and there is nothing wrong at all with that. Each to their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I swear I cannot remember the Variants section for the life of me.

Anyway, I like the idea of Lola's Improvement swap having some kind of rider, but I wonder if just going straight for "and then take another action" would be best. It's not too overpowering and it means she never has to waste an action swapping stats alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I swear I cannot remember the Variants section for the life of me.

Anyway, I like the idea of Lola's Improvement swap having some kind of rider, but I wonder if just going straight for "and then take another action" would be best. It's not too overpowering and it means she never has to waste an action swapping stats alone.

Lola seems to be a weak character but I think this may potentially make her a little too powerful. I went for the Focus bonus as it seemed to me to be a small but useful boost. I find with it she is one of my favourite characters and in terms of game balance not over-powered and not under-powered. The key is (of course) getting a skill improvement but once she has even one improvement token, the focus token really makes her ability take off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonas Albrecht wrote:
I like the idea of Lola's Improvement swap having some kind of rider, but I wonder if just going straight for "and then take another action" would be best. It's not too overpowering and it means she never has to waste an action swapping stats alone.
I have no clue if such change would be balanced, but I still love this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to see designer/playtesting notes on the investigators. Like, "We tried X, Y and Z with Mark Harrigan, but he became overpowered. So we played 50 games with him in his current incarnation and he was on a winning team 62% of the time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.