Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I really enjoy my Euros but not always able to play multiplayer games. So as the title says, are there any Euros out there where it isn't just about beating your previous score? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark comes to my mind. In its core, the solo game is a race against a fake player doing 1 step per turn, but it includes worker placement, hand management and deck building. Since you can change the topography of the track and/or adjust the difficulty by giving your opponent a head start, it offers quite a bit of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hearne
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little hazy on exactly what makes a game a Euro, but I'm like you; I want to have a mission when I play. Here's a few games that are at least Euro-ish but have a definite objective.

Black Orchestra
Freedom: The Underground Railroad
Unknown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy together with its first expansion Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm has a robot player for solo play. It's not "beat your high score". It's all about beating the robot player. Same thing with Guilds of London. It too has a robot opponent, but you have to go to the files section for that game and download the rules for the robot player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Pastorius
United States
Great Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Lewis & Clark. Also there is The Pursuit of Happiness. In that one, you'll have to break at least 50 points while also completing 3 objectives that are different each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure, if you can count those as euros, but they are definitely "euroy" in my eyes.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Mistfall
Martians: A Story of Civilization

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy has 2 ways to play solo:

1. "Sandbox" play where you try to beat your previous high score.
2. A more "puzzly" solo variant where you need to build your family tree based on certain requirements (variable requirements from game to game). You either win (achieve every requirement) or lose (fail to achieve one or more requirements).

The games below have "levels" of victory conditions. So, in a way you are trying to beat your previous score. But even if you don't beat your previous score, you can still achieve a lower level of victory.

Archipelago with Archipelago: Solo Expansion. The solo game comes with a deck of cards and each card has a different scenario on it with 3 levels of victory conditions.

Bremerhaven and Nations also have levels of victory conditions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm still not really clear on what constitutes a "Euro" game but here are my suggestions:

Peloponnes Card Game with the official solo rules: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/130627/peloponnes-card-ga.... Really high re-playability too.

Also, by the same designer: Phalanxx. I've just got it and it has a pseudo opponent whose score you must beat.

Perhaps Historia that is best as a six player game but you can pad out the missing players with 'bots', right down to playing it solo with five bots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - a mixture between Euro and RPG adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A small game that does that is Friday, a solo deck-builder. You have to defeat a boss enemy in the end. Onirim (second edition) also doesn't have that scoring.

Edit: Perhaps not what you'd call Euros...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Legacy's puzzly solo mode. You need to proof you're part of the family by fulfilling certain goals you draw each generation, e.g. Your grandma was French and married a Prussian. You slowly find out what's needed in order to win an be careful to leave enough room for future requirements - it's quite fun!

The Pursuit of Happiness also has you draw three goals (but all at the beginning of the game) that you need to fulfill before the end of the game as well as at least 50 long-term happiness. So far these two are my fav solo-Euros since you can make up silly family/life stories while grinding your brain for the best possible move to make.

Artipia has the game on sale with super low shipping too right now. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture: Essential Editionis a fantastic multi & solo game. The "base" solo game is strictly beating 20 points. However, there is a campaign mode that changes mechanics of the game and provides a great challenge. There's also an advanced mode that's not just beating a score at the end but has specific steps you need to take throughout the game.

Though I haven't played, Scythe probably fits the bill also - it uses an Automa (same as V:EE) to provide dummy player(s) that have actual scores at the end.

Look for games that have an Automa in them.

Another I haven't played, but it's big and has been called "fiddly" is Robinson Crusoe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orléans has a great solo mode where you have to collect certain items and visit certain locations before the game is over. I've heard not all editions include it in the base game, but I'm not sure if that's true (mine did come with it). It can be found online too.

Five Tribes has several ways to lose against the NPC opponent.

The Pursuit of Happiness has different objectives each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game. Quick and fun, and you're trying to keep up with a simulated opponent; not just beating a previous score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.