Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Not trying to start yet another "how many cores do I need" thread, but am I right in thinking that both the big box and small box expansions are only going to have two copies a piece of neutral cards?

So, even if you are happy to buy two cores and only make two characters whose classes don't overlap, you'd need two of all the expansions if you didn't want to be restricted on neutral cards?

And just for lols, exactly how many expansions/cores would you need to be unrestricted in deck-building for two characters post-Dunwich, where any of the new investigators there can use up to five cards from any other class?!

EDIT: I bothered to think about this for a second and realised it's four cores and two of every expansion - assuming none of the expansions offer and single cards, or you'd need four of those too.

Just interested to hear what people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
I think this is a false problem, even from a two-handed solo perspective.

In Lord of the Rings every card comes in 3x in the expansions pack, regardless of its sphere or neutrality status. Say I want to build two decks with the Lore sphere, with 1 expansion I can put an important card (for example Asfaloth or A burning brand)in triple copy in only one deck.

So what?! I can easily circumvent the problem by a)building two decks with all the four sphere so no overlap or b) if I have sphere/neutral overlap I can diversify the decks, maybe in one deck the Lore sphere will be predominant and in the other the sphere will be only a splash, without any need to have the same card in both decks.

In case of Arkham, do I really need that both Skids and Roland have 2x of .45 Automatic? With future expansions new weapons will be available and the "problem" won't there anymore.

My advice is: don't be lazy, invest more time in deckbuilding, rather than making decks full of powerful cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No doubt at some point there are bound to be asset cards released that will mess around with which classes your investigator can have access to..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you are probably sleeving anyway. Therefore making great looking proxies is as easy as putting the scarce cards in the color copier, snipping them out, and slipping them into sleeves on top of a surplus card with the proper back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
And you are probably sleeving anyway. Therefore making great looking proxies is as easy as putting the scarce cards in the color copier, snipping them out, and slipping them into sleeves on top of a surplus card with the proper back.

Exactly. I've never understood the mental trauma people put themselves through when the solution is so obvious.

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people just don't like playing proxies, whether competitive or not.

Personally, I wish that FFG would release a Dunwich Legacy Player's Pack after the cycle is over which would have duplicates of all the player's cards from the big box and six mythos packs... but they'll never do that, as they've never released any other set completion kits. For this game though it would be particularly nice as player's wouldn't end up with duplicates of all the scenario cards, and a player could buy just a pack like this to join in with his or her friends. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably buy a pack that was just all the player cards from the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
supermarino wrote:
Some people just don't like playing proxies, whether competitive or not.

Personally, I wish that FFG would release a Dunwich Legacy Player's Pack after the cycle is over which would have duplicates of all the player's cards from the big box and six mythos packs... but they'll never do that, as they've never released any other set completion kits. For this game though it would be particularly nice as player's wouldn't end up with duplicates of all the scenario cards, and a player could buy just a pack like this to join in with his or her friends. Oh well.

The thing is, apart from the core set cards, cards in deluxe and mythos are already a "full" playset. Talking about "completion" is inappropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only a problem if you are trying to use the same set of cards for multiple investigators.

For example, if I want to set up four investigators and give each investigator two copies of Unexpected Courage, it would require four Core sets.

For my own sanity, I would simply think of this as an additional deck-building restriction. In my head, I'll just pretend that Unexpected Courage says "max 4 per group" and I will try to work within those restrictions instead of proxying or buying more cores just for a few additional cards.

Since it's a coop game, and I'm building decks for my friends, nobody can complain that they aren't good enough decks. If I want to play with someone else who insists of having max copies of a card that I also want to use, well they can buy their own collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The whole thing is, obsessive or not, weird or not: I like completeness.

Adding in proxy cards, to me, tarnishes the game. Like there is something creeping and insidious lurking in its heart... but in a bad way.

I may not need all these extra cards, but would love to know that I have a complete product and could, if I wanted, create any deck.

Seriously though, I'll almost certainly be getting just one of everything - apart from maybe a second core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

Adding in proxy cards, to me, tarnishes the game. Like there is something creeping and insidious lurking in its heart... but in a bad way.

I may not need all these extra cards, but would love to know that I have a complete product and could, if I wanted, create any deck.

Seriously though, I'll almost certainly be getting just one of everything - apart from maybe a second core.

But you CAN create any deck and you DO have a complete product with 2 cores and 1 of any expansion. You cannot create decks with the same given cards. What did you expect? Each card in 8x to theoretically have it in all decks at the maximum player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolframius wrote:
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

But you CAN create any deck and you DO have a complete product with 2 cores and 1 of any expansion. You cannot create decks with the same given cards. What did you expect? Each card in 8x to theoretically have it in all decks at the maximum player count?

For me, it really is kind of an OCD thing, like feeling mismatched if I'm wearing two very similar black socks that are not the same brand - no one else will ever know, but I'll feel uncomfortable all day. Proxies are like that - I would rather create all the cards myself with original artwork than have some real and some fake, even (especially) for solitaire at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolframius wrote:
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:

^^^This! But more so.

For me, one core set IS a complete set for 1-2 players, and two core sets ARE a complete set for 3-4 players.

Having enough copies of every card for everyone to have 2 copies of any given card in their decks is a personal choice, not a necessity.

That's why I'm OK with proxying. I'm playing a variant of the game, not the game as it is intended to be played. Other people choose to buy a second core set to achieve that same variant. And that's fine. Either way is fine. Let's move beyond this already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.