Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I first stumbled across this user:

Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools

in a Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars forum post.

At the time the guy had rated about 3000 games a 1 - all of them this month. Currently he's up to 4403 games and 1955 expansions and looks like he's still going strong. He's got another 80000 or so to go but I guess he'll get there eventually.

I'm just wondering what's motivating him? It seems as if it's gone past troll behaviour into something a little more concerning.

But perhaps he's rating everything he doesn't own as a 1. Or it's just his way of relaxing at the end of a stressful day.

Each to their own, I guess.

EDIT: His idiosyncratic rating system pops up elsewhere - he gives numerous zero ratings at the Swedish online boardgame store WorldofBoardGames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hate the player, hate the game(s)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this thread an attempt to get moderated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems like a fun way to manipulate the games you like further up the rankings. But that would not explain why he rated other games in the 5 - 2 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible bot testing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
M61 Vulcan wrote:
Seems like a fun way to manipulate the games you like further up the rankings.

Fun and completely ineffective. Scott has a shill busting algorithm that filters these kind of ratings out of the ranking. I have a feeling this has zero effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Hanses
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
M61 Vulcan wrote:
Seems like a fun way to manipulate the games you like further up the rankings.

Fun and completely ineffective. Scott has a shill busting algorithm that filters these kind of ratings out of the ranking. I have a feeling this has zero effect.

For games not yet released with little or no ratings, this can have a huge effect. Really sucks having people view your game page, look at the ratings for something about to go on Kickstarter, and see a really low rating because someone like him decided to troll a 1 onto it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's almost at 5600 games with a rating of 1. I'm sure he's played all 5600 games, even the ones that haven't even been released yet. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this attempt to not understand what the ratings are for an attempt to make the subject of the original post look like the only one who does?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
I'm wondering if he doesn't understand what the ratings are for. It's almost like he's rating anything he doesn't have or want to buy as a 1.

But it still sucks. A 1 rating on a game with limited number of ratings can really have a huge impact. It hit my game for .4 pts. I'm still at a 7.8 but it does hurt, especially since most people will not look beyond the rating that is given to see that this person is rating 97+% of all games a 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Casey
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like an incredibly dull hobby. But I play board games so I hate to be the proverbial pot. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speculation is fun and all but...has anyone just tried to ask the user what the intent is for this behavior? Ideally an admin now that it's been outed on the forums, but definitely worth checking in to see if the person needs guidance or has a clear picture of the consequences both for the users reputation and for new or unreleased games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
caseypd63 wrote:
Seems like an incredibly dull hobby. But I play board games so I hate to be the proverbial pot. ;-)

I thought you were the kettle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogey Man
msg tools
Don't judge. For all we know boardgames killed his parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Casey
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
Speculation is fun and all but...has anyone just tried to ask the user what the intent is for this behavior? Ideally an admin now that it's been outed on the forums, but definitely worth checking in to see if the person needs guidance or has a clear picture of the consequences both for the users reputation and for new or unreleased games.

There's no place for reason and thoughtfulness here. Now pickup your pitchfork and join our angry mob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apparently, he doesn't leave comments and doesn't return emails. Sure his actions have no effect on games like "Twilight Struggle," but it hammers new games and games from small publishers. The fact that the BGG formula disregards his trolling when figuring ranking is nice, but it doesn't stop the game average from dropping through the floor due to his actions. And new games with a "5" rating from a small publisher are dead on arrival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
He probably saw this thread and thought "at last! validation!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Gecu

Figueres
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at this game as an example, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/187050/red-vs-white-vs-b..., here with a 1, He completly destroys the rating..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Do you people not read the other threads? There's one at least every week.

BGG won't "fix" this, because BGG doesn't think it a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pixatintes wrote:
Look at this game as an example, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/187050/red-vs-white-vs-b..., here with a 1, He completly destroys the rating..

A game owned by 6 and on the wishlist of 5 is now suddenly "destroyed" by somebody rating it a "1" ?

Yeah, those thousands who were lining up to buy it will suddenly have a change of heart because of that single rating shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm bored with Smjj now.

So has anyone handed out an absurd number of "10" ratings? And why hasn't anyone complained (rhetorical question).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Smjj is bored - he's not bothered rating anything this month. All of his ratings (including 10,636 1's) were posted in November - an average of over 360 ratings each day.

If he'd carried on at this rate he'd have covered the whole database by the middle of next year. Don't give up that easily Smjj - you lightweight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TVal Thunderstriker

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that these ratings mean virtually nothing, because people can put whatever rating they want on any game for any reason at all. However, seeing a nice "1" rating on five of my games is still bothersome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny thing is I was just about to post something about this. As of my post the number of 1's is over 10k and its 10's are clustered around a few select titles. It is not the 1's that I think make the being's ratings invalid, it is giving Pandemic Legacy a 10. BTW, I mostly give honest ratings except PL I gave a 1 because the best satire includes oneself in the joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
7246 games rated 1
3392 expansions rated 1
as of today

Apparently you made him stop. Don't you feel bad for him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.